Ferries to Canaries with dogs (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Hello just joined as a full member after being a read only for a while whist working out the best places join. Got our first pvc last June and did a quick 43 day tour oc Spain and Portugal last Oct - Dec. Now planning our next trip and wondering about the canaries. Has anyone taken the Acciona Transmediterranea, ferry to Tenerife from Spain in a MH travelling with dogs before?
The website indicates dogs can travel in kennels has,anyone used these kennels that can give advice as to how dogs are looked after? We have 3, two labs and one Golden retriever, the Goldie has epilepsy so want to ensure we can walk them and spend time with them on ferry.
Also any general advice about visiting the islands in a motorhome would be appreciated as only flown before. Gosh this is getting long, sorry Lin and Nige

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
welcome! all I know from reading past threads is that crossing very expensive, although you probably know that..but when you get there is there much camping friendly/touring infrastructure?

an alternative: having been to canaries a good few times, corsica and sardinia are nice islands to visit..short ferry hop between the two

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted User
Thinking about possibly buying a place in Canaries if we can sell up in UK as we have family on Tenerife, as long as can get dogs on & off easily, we hope to explore everywhere we can but thought it might make a good base as weather is good year round, still a pipe dream at moment though :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm still working out how those 3 large dogs fit in your PVC! It must be cosy, our Jack Russell is big enough for ours.

If the kennels are anything like the Plymouth to Spain ferries then you will have access to the kennels during the voyage and so you can walk and feed your dogs.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'm still working out how those 3 large dogs fit in your PVC! It must be cosy, our Jack Russell is big enough for ours.

If the kennels are anything like the Plymouth to Spain ferries then you will have access to the kennels during the voyage and so you can walk and feed your dogs.

Where do they go wee wee

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
having just returned from tenerife we found that the free camping in los cristianious has now been shut down as a calor gas bottle blew up last year there,the police have sealed the area off ,so we were talking to a few people who go there every year ,and they said there is still plenty of free camping else where,so go and enjoy.

OP
OP

Deleted User

It has a large area at the front where kitchen is with free floor space where they sleep at night, oldest tends to claim the cab area, loves it, us humans have a mid lounge area which the dogs travel harnessed on to benches but pulls,out to a bed for just humans at night, we get a grand 120 cm width on our bed! All designed around the dogs, you gotta love em :D:D:D

Just had a quick look at your blog, saved to read in depth later, we went for first time via Tunnel last Oct. The dogs did there own blog via blogger am I allowed to put a link to the blog on my profile? I note there is a blog section on the forum so don't want to break rules by linking to an external one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Deleted User
having just returned from tenerife we found that the free camping in los cristianious has now been shut down as a calor gas bottle blew up last year there,the police have sealed the area off ,so we were talking to a few people who go there every year ,and they said there is still plenty of free camping else where,so go and enjoy.
Thanks for the info :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
... I note there is a blog section on the forum so don't want to break rules by linking to an external one :)
Yes, plenty put links to their own blogs in their signatures and some make specific posts on here to tell folk when there is something new to read. As long as it is not a trade site Oberwebmaster Jim won't mind.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's worrying me about ours, not sure oldest one would go :(
Our pooch is 17 and coped with the trip without getting distressed, but some dogs in the kennels barked almost non-stop.
What we did learn was that next time we are going to just take a large old towel for him to sleep on. If I gets wet and smelly we will just put it in a bin liner and probably chuck it.
The bedding can get wet from drinking water if it gets rough, which it did on the return trip and also the dog is walking on the wet deck.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just noticed a typo above "if I get wet and smelly" Should read "if it gets wet and smelly".
I am already wet and smelly!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Thanks no rush :)
Righty ho :)

Well, the sailing is 34 hours and soon flew by. All the kennels are on the 4th floor and the walkies area is along the side of deck 5. Plenty of room and all the doggy owners get to know each other :)

There are about 20 kennels and most were full. There was even a bird in one :)

You can access the kennels as much as you like. Some folk just sat by the kennels and some took them upstairs.

It's not quite perfect maybe, but I can't see what else they can do to make it better. Elvis was happy as Larry as he knew I'd be down every hour.

The ferry was about £800 return. About £240 of that was for the cabin which is more than the Hilton :(
Anyway, as they let you wander around deck 4, I was able to get to the camper for cool beer from the fridge. So, next time I book, not gonna book a cabin. Just sneak to the camper and stay in that :clap2:

20141217_085557_zps854f3a3c.jpg

20141217_090920_zps2d82bc28.jpg

20141217_091355_zpsaa82023f.jpg
20141217_091455_zpsdd0f2e3f.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted User
Righty ho :)

Well, the sailing is 34 hours and soon flew by. All the kennels are on the 4th floor and the walkies area is along the side of deck 5. Plenty of room and all the doggy owners get to know each other :)

There are about 20 kennels and most were full. There was even a bird in one :)

You can access the kennels as much as you like. Some folk just sat by the kennels and some took them upstairs.

It's not quite perfect maybe, but I can't see what else they can do to make it better. Elvis was happy as Larry as he knew I'd be down every hour.

The ferry was about £800 return. About £240 of that was for the cabin which is more than the Hilton :(
Anyway, as they let you wander around deck 4, I was able to get to the camper for cool beer from the fridge. So, next time I book, not gonna book a cabin. Just sneak to the camper and stay in that :clap2:

20141217_085557_zps854f3a3c.jpg

20141217_090920_zps2d82bc28.jpg

20141217_091355_zpsaa82023f.jpg
20141217_091455_zpsdd0f2e3f.jpg
Great thanks for this, the kennels look much better than I imagined they would, so that's reassuring :)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Great thanks for this, the kennels look much better than I imagined they would, so that's reassuring :)
Most folk took a blanket to make it a bit comfier. Don't forget food and water. But as I said above, it's no problems sneaking to the camper :)

And they supply a padlock and key with 5 Euro deposit

OP
OP

Deleted User
Most folk took a blanket to make it a bit comfier. Don't forget food and water. But as I said above, it's no problems sneaking to the camper :)

And they supply a padlock and key with 5 Euro deposit
If its warm enough can you sit out on the exercise deck with them?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If its warm enough can you sit out on the exercise deck with them?
Sure. Many folk did that.

But on the way back, the sea was a bit rough at first, so they closed off the outside walking area for a bit. So we just walked them around the huge container trucks on same level as kennel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back