Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Hello

I am looking to replace my van shortly. I currently have a Devon that is 5m long, 2 beds, with 4 travel seats. This seems a good practical size for me. I am finding it hard to source a similar sized van, say under 5.5m and at least 3 travel seats.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
ronidog

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Are you looking for a bare van to convert or one already converted?
Murvi do 'vans of the size you want with the right number of travelling seats. They do come up second hand from time to time.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
I am looking for a van that has been converted. New or fairly new. I will look at the Murvi site

Having looked I thought that I should say I am based in West Yorkshire, so Devon might be a bit far to pop down and have a look. Very nice vans:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
As you're in Yorkshire why don't you have a chat with Terry? If you get a van converted to your specifications you'll get exactly what you want.
I couldn't be more pleased with mine--I absolutely love it.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Hello

I am looking to replace my van shortly. I currently have a Devon that is 5m long, 2 beds, with 4 travel seats. This seems a good practical size for me. I am finding it hard to source a similar sized van, say under 5.5m and at least 3 travel seats.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
ronidog
Devon are now in the north!

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Thanks for the replies so far.

Hollyberry who is Terry? I see that he liked your comment. Terry please pm me if you around and do van conversions:)

Viennese I visited Wildax today. I was disappointed the van is 5m but has very little storage space for trips longer than a weekend.. I am just under 6' and kept bashing my head on the roof. The pop up roof will not be winterised so not too good from October to April.

Dorwyn I bought my current van from Devon conversions in Darlington a few years ago. I visited them at the Manchester show. I thought that the current range is not much of an improvement from 7 years ago. The owner seemed quite rude and not interested in discussing the vans on show.
I was referring to Murvi being in Devon.

Ronidog

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Ronidog

Sorry the WildAx was disappointing, but I guess space could be a problem with any smaller van. Hillside in Derby might be worth a look - recommended by a dealer friend of mine...

Otherwise not long till the NEC show - the biggest there is I think, and loads of new models will be out...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Terry is his membername as well as his personal name. He has an excellent reputation for quality work and no messing about.
So click on @Terry to contact him and select start a conversation..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
122 on german site Link Removed

Link Removed

a lot are pop tops but far from all + even though I selected 5 meters in search box some are over...surprised what they can squeeze into 5 m to be honest

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Globecar Roadscout has 4 belted seats and is 5.4m. There's a few dealers around the country.

Edited to add.

Also just found this
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Stroppy bird I have sent for details of the Globecar and the cara bus they look good.

Thanks
ronidog

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years

Dorwyn I bought my current van from Devon conversions in Darlington a few years ago. I visited them at the Manchester show. I thought that the current range is not much of an improvement from 7 years ago. The owner seemed quite rude and not interested in discussing the vans on show.

Ronidog
Seems to be a re-occurring theme with regard to Devon Conversions. Its a shame as there workmanship is very good.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Horizons Unlimited Cavarno2 PVC ... driver + 3 passenger seats:

Broken Link Removed

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
... Having looked I thought that I should say I am based in West Yorkshire, so Devon might be a bit far to pop down and have a look. Very nice vans:)
Murvi will be at the NEC next month as will many other companies. I suggest visiting the show.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Murvi will be at the NEC next month as will many other companies. I suggest visiting the show.

They do look good.I have asked for more information. It looks like I may have to got to the show after all just to see the vans mentioned above. I am a bit worried that the show is so big. I will need to be disciplined ;)

Minxy girl I will have a look at Horizons.

Reactions: DBK
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Mine is a 6 metre Globecar Globescout. I know it's a little bigger than you want, I am just letting you know how happy I am with it, We have had 21 months and 23000 miles of trouble free, fault free touring in it...... and 388 nights sleeping in it :eek:

Would I buy another one?................ oh yes :D:D:D

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Broken Link Removed (I bought mine from SMC..... top chaps:))

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Its good to get recommendations for vehicles and dealers. Its such a big investment.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Hollyberry who is Terry? I see that he liked your comment. Terry please pm me if you around and do van conversions:)

Viennese I visited Wildax today. I was disappointed the van is 5m but has very little storage space for trips longer than a weekend.. I am just under 6' and kept bashing my head on the roof. The pop up roof will not be winterised so not too good from October to April.

Ronidog

Devon are in Ferryhill not Darlington but you are right about the owner, awful fellow to speak to, its his way or no way.

Paul.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
.....yes but its close enough for non northern people

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
I know of two who do very good conversions, East Nuek Campers in Anstruther, Fife ( they he won various competitions with their all van conversions.
And Motorcraft Conversions in Adwick le Street near Doncaster. They carry out bespoke conversions from T4/T5's to 37 foot for the race / rally/ motorcycle top notch teams.
You can look them up on google.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sorry---just seen your question ( lost my reading glasses while away visiting grandchildren -using ipad bit of a challenge)

Terry is a member on here. He converts vans. He found me a van, put in exactly what I wanted and I still can't believe I've got a loo and shower, cooker space and even a wardrobe in a small van. It's beautifully finished. One of his neighbours does all the upholstery, and she knows what she's doing! He's between Sheffield and Leeds and I'm sure he'd be happy to have a chat with you. I think someone put the @Terry link on ( sorry, I've missed how to do that bit) so easy to send him a message.

Sorry I didn't see your message earlier and forgive any typos ---need new specs now :(

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Whilst looking around bear in mind that many manufacturers are now using the XL wheelbase which is over 6 metres long, however vans that are a year or two old may be on the long wheelbase and come in at 5.99 mt. Mine is an example of this: Autocruise Alto (3 passenger seat belts, 3' 11" fixed bed and make up bed for child). My vehicle is only 18 months old but the 2015 version is on the longer wheelbase.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
I am busy looking through al your suggestions and following up with calls to van converters, looking at brochures etc.. All really exciting.

Thanks for all the help

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back