Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Hi guys, hope someone will be kind enough to help me. After 20 years caravaning, we have bought our first motorhome, 2004 Ace modena (fiat ducato) Been sat on drive for 8 weeks over winter, thought we would take it for a drive today and fill up with cheap(er) diesel. Cab battery hadn`t enough charge to turn over the engine! Have had it on hook up as we have been in and out putting stuff in, making beds etc over the weeks, so leisure battery is fine. The battery selector switch has been in middle position (neither battery selected) as I understand things default to leisure battery. We have been using the electric step, could this have drained the cab battery? Also, is there anyway of re-charging the cab battery via hook up, maybe by selecting cab battery on selector switch? If so, how long should it take? Hope we havent caused ourselves unnecessary expense so early on!
Thanks in anticipation

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Naaaaaaa, alarm, immobiliser, radio will have done for your battery. Just charge it up and it should be fine.

How old is the battery by the way? The older they are the sooner they lose there charge usually.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
usually you do have to select cab to charge the engine battery. Why keep using the step if it has not moved, just leave it out. The engine battery powers the radio and alarm so will in time run the battery down. Now how much damage has been done depends on how low the battery got and how long it was left like that. You may be lucky and be able to recharge it,if not then obviously a new battery is in order. Good luck. It could take 24hrs depending on charger the completely recharge a flat battery, however 4 hours should see sufficient charge to start it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The battery selector switch has been in middle position (neither battery selected) as I understand things default to leisure battery.
Sorry but I don't think that assumption is correct. The battery selected is the one in service and receiving charge. If neither is selected I don't think either is being charged. What is the name & model of your panel?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, turn selector to cab.
If you have a volt/multimeter connect it to the battery to check it is charging.

Your battery will have discharge through a mix of self discharge and parasitic loads....radio memory, alarm, immobiliser etc.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry but I don't think that assumption is correct. The battery selected is the one in service and receiving charge. If neither is selected I don't think either is being charged. What is the name & model of your panel?
Correct Andy.
By placing the switch in centre neither battery is in use or being charged but the charger is acting as an unregulated power supply.
Batteries can be removed and still have 12v to the habit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks for all your responses, really appreciate it. To answer some of your questions. Step retracted each time because wife parks next to MH and is fearful of catching step. Will leave down and she will have to be careful!
Unsure of make of panel, nothing written on it. I have uploaded a picture if that might help. Used to having a caravan, put it on hook up and battery charges! The charge check appears to indicate both batteries are full

Attachments

• 20150124_144642[1].jpg
    20150124_144642[1].jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
When dealer handed over to me, regarding switch, I thought he said selector dictated which battery power was taken from, didnt realise it meant to as well. Ive put the switch to cab battery position, and I`ll see what happens

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Crikey, I was just about to post a similar question so I hope it is okay to jump in here!

My wife and I purchased our MH (Bessacarr E495) last summer. For the winter I have drained all tanks. I isolated the cab battery with the isolator switch and left the vehicle for about 3 weeks. I then turned off the isolator and started it up no problem and took it for a run.

Then when I parked it up I left the isolator off but 'hooked' up the MH to my garage. I left the vehicle for a couple of weeks and when I went to start it the battery was flat. It started with a jump start and I took it for a run.

I was a bit surprised as I thought that when on 'hook-up' the leisure battery AND the cab battery were both charged. I have tested the cab battery and with the engine on tick-over the battery is getting over 14v which is about right.

So my questions are:
When on hook-up should the main vehicle battery get charged as well as the leisure battery?
If I switch on the main cab battery isolator (therefore in effect disconnecting the main vehicle battery) will the hook-up still charge the leisure battery and run the electrical items in the MH?

Thanks in advance.

Keith Hart

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
When on hook-up should the main vehicle battery get charged as well as the leisure battery?
No Keith it is not necessarily so that both batteries are charged. It depends on the electrical equipment fitted by the converter and or any subsequent additions specifically to enable that.
What electrical system do you have?

If I switch on the main cab battery isolator (therefore in effect disconnecting the main vehicle battery) will the hook-up still charge the leisure battery and run the electrical items in the MH?

The starter battery isolator will have no effect on the habitation

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
That was quick, thanks. The main board is an EC400 system. Photos attached.

Keith Hart

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have had my switch set to cab battery for about 2 hours, just been out and engine started immediately, so many thanks guys! I`ll leave it set to cab battery overnight and then set it to leisure battery. As you said, leaving switch in neutral position when on hook up is just providing a power source through the charger, whilst charging neither battery. Should van be left on hook up all the time when not in use, set to charge leisure battery?

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That was quick, thanks. The main board is an EC400 system. Photos attached.

Keith Hart
Broken Link Removed

Battery Select. By default, the leisure battery is selected as the power source if no mains
supply is present, or as the battery to be charged when the mains supply is available. To
change the selected battery, press the battery select button. The selected battery is
indicated by an LED adjacent to the caravan or car logo (for caravans) or the LED situated in
the centre of the leisure and vehicle battery gauges (for motorhomes).

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Hmmm...

Well that looks to me as though when on hook-up the system charges both the leisure and the main vehicle battery.

On EC465 and EC460 PSU’s, the system incorporates a smart charge feature, which monitors both leisure and vehicle batteries and automatically adjusts and directs the charger power (and solar power if a solar panel is installed) to maintain the leisure and vehicle batteries at an optimal level.

So the main vehicle battery should NOT go flat if left on hook-up. I'll need to get the battery tested again.

Thanks

Keith Hart

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
That clearly and demonstrably doesn`t apply to mine though Keith, due to it starting so readily after a couple hours charging. Like I said though, mine is 10. I guess your Bessacar is newer?

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Forgive my ignorance but what would you look for?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thank you

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Paul, what you could do if yours only charges 1 battery ata time is get a small intelligent charger eg C Tek or similar, ctek quite expensive, bit Aldi and Lidl do them from time to time at about £12 to£14. When you are par.
ked up for some time, switch the on-board charger to leisure batt then plug the smart charger into a socket and plug the cig-lighter into your cig socket, this will then charge your engine battery.
Hope this makes sense!
Cheers, Dave(y)

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
or fit a battery master (y) when your leisure battery is full it will trickle charge the engine battery and keep it topped up.
A popular misconception Martin
A Vanbitz battery master does not rely on a fully charged leisure battery before it transfers charge. It will transfer charge whenever there is half a volt difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Hi, Paul, what you could do if yours only charges 1 battery ata time is get a small intelligent charger eg C Tek or similar, ctek quite expensive, bit Aldi and Lidl do them from time to time at about £12 to£14. When you are par.
ked up for some time, switch the on-board charger to leisure batt then plug the smart charger into a socket and plug the cig-lighter into your cig socket, this will then charge your engine battery.
Hope this makes sense!
Cheers, Dave(y)
Not likely as most cab 12 volt sockets are only connected to the battery with the ignition ON

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Mine isn't!
But in any case a simple enough task to take 2 wires thru the bulkhead and wire to a socket.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Agreed, but the OP does seem to have a modicum of knowledge, without being patronising, of course!
Cheers, Dave(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back