Another historic vehicle going up for sale soon (2 Viewers)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I can see it making £100,000 plus
If not more.
I came across one in Devon last year . Had a chat with the bloke who was driving it sat on a tyre as there were no seats or interior & he said that it was basically the front & rear bulkheads that were the only parts left that were original. everything else was new. It had a stunning paint job . Oh & he was in for 59k so far ! :Eeek::Eeek:

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
More money than sense! Our honeymoon in California was spent in one and it became a tour of the garages in the sunny state as it kept breaking down. Nasty, horrid thing; slow, underpowered, thirsty, vague to drive - I could go on! Major plus point? It was loaned to us by a good friend so it was free!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Nick Whale, managing director of Silverstone Auctions,

.....................who expects to make a large sandwich in commission charges, at 20% + VAT. :(

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
VW Samba Splitty....

We paid a mere £3000 for our Type 2 Devon in 1997 and we sold it for £3000 7 years fun-filled later - it was the only zero depreciation vehicle I ever owned.

I'm reminded of the time a photographer brought a wedding couple and a Samba Splitty to my quaint rural workplace for some photos. I went over for a drool at the VW, and when it was all over and they'd gone I realised I hadn't at any point complimented the lovely bride on her appearance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I know these things are classed as iconic, but personally I can't see what the attraction is.

Me either, god awful, slow, smelly, uneconomical beasts with a heating system that will either try to burn your legs off at the knees or poison you with exhaust fumes! But it takes all sorts to make a world.

D.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We've had a couple of old VW campers over the years and they've always been "interesting" and "challenging" vehicles to own. Having said that, we've had many great adventures in them and we have many treasured memories taking the kids on holidays in the UK and abroad, but come on, £50,000+? I just can't see how you could put that kind of value on one no matter how tricked up it is

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Owned a T3 Devon conversion, pop-top in the '80s, how I hated it.. would never ever buy another..

can't for the life of me see the attraction.. but there are plenty who do.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Wonder how much my 1964 Bedford CA Dormobile would be worth today? I sold it after 5 years for what I paid for it, i.e. £180.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
In 7 years our '75 Kombi had three recovery truck rides - snapped hand brake cable, broken fuel pipe, and a dodgy coil, but we loved it to bits. We did a couple of French surfaris in it, and as a vehicle you could happily spill sand and sea water all over and bash surfboards into you couldn't do better.

I wrote a piece about VW camper ownership back in 1998, originally intended for Surf magazine. It ended up in their sister publication Motorhome Monthly - Broken Link Removed.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
.....................who expects to make a large sandwich in commission charges, at 20% + VAT. :(
Well, I think it works like this. You have a large amount of swag. So large in fact, that you could build a new council housing estate in Holmfirth, or another poor part of Yorkshire. :) Trouble is, that nice Mr Osborn whacks you for huge amounts of excise on your cash. And so, you buy stuff that will increase it's value over the years, and hey, you don't pay tax on your VW, or for that matter, your Rembrandt. :) And that's what will happen, I would imagine, to this old truck. (y)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Bought my first VW splitscreen camper in 1977, a 1966 model with a years MOT for £250

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Dad always wanted one but Mum refused due to lack of privacy and his demands for a three course meal twice a day.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Vw camper are one of the top seller,the old t4 £5000 plus

Yes I was seriously considering a T4 before buying the MH.
Friends recently bought a 96 one. Lovely conversion & excellent condition but cost a lot more than 5k !!
What's even more fascinating is if you find 2 identical motorhomes , one with a T4 as base vehicle it will command a large premium over the other & it is the same even over here !

The type 2''s though don't appeal to me personally. Even when I was chatting to the bloke I still couldn't get my head around the amount of money he'd invested in it. I can appreciate the standard of work etc; but they do nothing for me .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back