Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

Has anyone got any contacts or suggestions as to the best place to get ferry tickets.

We were thinking about going to the Peloponnese in September.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It's a warzone out there (looking for ferry tickets)

UK website wants £625, Greek website €515 (Thats less than £400)

Oh! and by the way. Minoan lines no longer do the 'Sleeping in the van'
For the same price as Deck, they give you an inside cabin and 30% off the food bill.

Watch this space

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Hi All,

Has anyone got any contacts or suggestions as to the best place to get ferry tickets.
We were thinking about going to the Peloponnese in September.

Plus one for using the services of Broken Link Removed contact there is called Dale.

We booked tickets for the Dubrovnik to Bari and then Bari to Igoumenitsa [and back!] ferries last year...very efficient and made sure we got all the discounts we were entitled too [not immediately obvious on the ferry company website].

We travelled to Greece with Superfast using their "camping on board" facility...it worked really well with hookups , showers and keycards to the passenger area of the ferry.

We had such a good time we are doing it all again this year...booking the ferry tickets through Viamare once again.

If you would like some top tips on campsites/places to see on the Peloponnese let me know...

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Plus one for using the services of Broken Link Removed contact there is called Dale.

We booked tickets for the Dubrovnik to Bari and then Bari to Igoumenitsa [and back!] ferries last year...very efficient and made sure we got all the discounts we were entitled too [not immediately obvious on the ferry company website].

We travelled to Greece with Superfast using their "camping on board" facility...it worked really well with hookups , showers and keycards to the passenger area of the ferry.

We had such a good time we are doing it all again this year...booking the ferry tickets through Viamare once again.

If you would like some top tips on campsites/places to see on the Peloponnese let me know...
Ditto we have spent two winters on the Peloponnese so any info just ask :)

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for the offers of help.
This will be our first in the 'van to Greece so later on we'll raise this thread again and bombard you with suggestions.
We've been many a time to the islands hopping on and off the ferries and I don't suppose the mainland will be any different in ambiance. I have to admit that when we were on our hols. I went more than a little green watching the campers and motorhomes parked on various quaysides and outside tavernas.
It's my turn now.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You'll get the best price on the day paying in US dollars given the way I fear the Greek economy might be going after today. :(

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is that good for us ?

We had one fantastic holiday flotilla sailing from Nidri 30 years ago, prices were embarrassing. Could we return to the old days ?

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The Euro is dropping like a stone as I type (€134.5) and this is what the markets are reporting right now.

"EUR weakness continued to be the main show in the forex town following the ECB's quant easing announcement yesterday. EUR-USD extended to a new 11-year low of 1.1219 during the European AM, almost a big figure down on the 1.1314 low seen during Asian trade, which was itself 60 pips down on Thursday's New York closing level. Firm eurozone PMI data had little bearing." Courtesy of XECurrency.

I should imagine that the Greek election results will only add Brent Crude to the flames.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
The bloody Eurocrats went with quantitative easing to the tune of 1.1 trillion in the last week..... Bloody unimaginable numbers... Will it work ?
Maybe short term, long term....NO... what then?
Europe at best will devide, has to... they will call it a solution, in reality it will become a two tier currency and let the powerful nations rule.
Great job the UK kept clear of the euro, but if Europe messes up then make no doubt about it we will suffer, and suffer bad.
The best thing is for the euro to collapse, painful short term, let each country set its exchange rate and devalue their currency accordingly. Let each country trade on its own merits...... opens up a can of worms for smuggling though!
Imagine being a manufacturing business in the UK, euro running over 30% weaker than sterling.... doesn't take much to work out the results.
On Friday past a well known trader here sold 6 million euro worth of new cars into the UK on the strength of the strong sterling, what does that do for local traders?
There is money to be made each way, but that only happens to a selected few, not the mainstream worker/citizen.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
1.34? I have an itch that needs scratching.... New euro van I think!

Reactions: f6c
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We travel to Greece (Crete) usually twice a year and it's very easy to book online now direct with the ferry company. We prefer Anek/Superfast as we like to use the motorhome for sleeping in on the ferry, which is not an option with Minoan. With regards to the Peleponnese, we like Stoupa very much. We stayed at Camping Kalogria which is in a great position very close to beaches and restaurants.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The poor Greeks ...............

From what I've seen it's more stupid Greeks.

Aided and abetted by the silent WW3 take over of Europe.

Are seeing the Germans losing yet again ? Mercifully without bloodshed this time.

There is a parallel with the NHS here, get to a certain size and we humans can't manage the organising.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Update on this thread.
I couldn't make sense of the Greek Ferry sites (or the websites either) so I fired off a question to to them.
It transpires that, because Minoan Ferries no longer allow motorhomers to occupy their motorhomes on the deck anymore (but they said we could in the same email???) and provide you with a cabin and 30% off the meal bills, what you have to do is this.

On the ferries-greece website (that's the one I used) you ask for a 2 berth inside cabin along with your partner if you have one. You then select the camper option that includes the 'All Inclusive ' element (it's on a drop down menu)
After filling in the vehicle registration No. (described as 'Licence' on the form and the driver details I was left with the payment screen which showed the trip, and the cabin both ways for both of us.
Cost;
Return ferry, Ancona to Patra (igu wotsit also available for same price) double inside cabin both ways
Out on Sept. 30th Back on Oct 30th
Cost £358

Not bad I thought.

For the benefit of all

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Update on this thread.
I couldn't make sense of the Greek Ferry sites (or the websites either) so I fired off a question to to them.
It transpires that, because Minoan Ferries no longer allow motorhomers to occupy their motorhomes on the deck anymore (but they said we could in the same email???) and provide you with a cabin and 30% off the meal bills, what you have to do is this.

On the ferries-greece website (that's the one I used) you ask for a 2 berth inside cabin along with your partner if you have one. You then select the camper option that includes the 'All Inclusive ' element (it's on a drop down menu)
After filling in the vehicle registration No. (described as 'Licence' on the form and the driver details I was left with the payment screen which showed the trip, and the cabin both ways for both of us.
Cost;
Return ferry, Ancona to Patra (igu wotsit also available for same price) double inside cabin both ways
Out on Sept. 30th Back on Oct 30th
Cost £358

Not bad I thought.

For the benefit of all

Great that you have got all that organised...very similar cost to what we have paid for "camping on board" with Superfast Ferries through Viamare...and very good value compared to what it costs to cross the channel with Brittany Ferries! If either of you are "seniors" hope you got the appropriate discount for that too...
I think you'll find that the month in thePeloponnese will fly by..

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Andrewj,

Have you not seen our avatar???
Can't speak for SWMBO but the bloke behind her didn't get all those battle scars from being under 65yrs. Yes we got the 64yrs + discount.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
I was being tactful....!!:D

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
PS... one thing you will need for hooking up in Geek campsites is one of these..

The two pin system seems to be universal in the Peloponnese...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm pencilling in a trip to the Peloponnese next year, so I can't give any tips but I am doing a bit of reading.

Edward Enfield's Greece on my Wheels is an account of a cycling trip in the area and it is very amusing but it also includes a lot of history, as he follows in the footsteps of Lord Byron and covers the Greek struggle for independence.

Patrick Leigh Fermor built a house in the Mani, the middle finger of the three which stick out pointing south. He wrote a book called Mani but better brains than mine have described it as unreadable - the author had a brain the size of a small planet and the historical references soon had my brain melting. More readable is Words of Mercury edited by Artemis Cooper, a collection of his writings, some impenetrable but others more accessible such as the account of his house building activities in the Peloponnese in the 60s, as well as an account in his own words of his kidnapping of a German General on Crete.
All these are available on Kindle.

Last edited:

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
On our trip last year we found Andrew Bostock's book "Greece..The Peloponnese" very useful...readable and accurate...published by Bradt.

Suda

Free Member
Jan 19, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Rapido V 56
Exp
Since the 70's with a VW T 2, then an Autoquest, a Burstner and now the Rapido
Sail from Venice or Ancona. Book on line and make savings.
We are booked for the beginning of May form Ancona but also done Venice route which is spectacular. Use ACSI and stay at Fusina to do Venice sightseeing. Take a water bus straight to the heart of the city from just outside the campsite. Lots of wonderful places to stay in Peloponeese. Enjoy!!

Deleted User
Hi we are currently in Greece, Stoupa, after doing a very long exhausting road trip from Spain, via France, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia & Macedonia, we were in a rush to meet friends before they left. We are staying for 3 weeks in their villa, then heading slowly back to the UK, can take as long as we need on the way back. Would really like to go back on a ferry from Greece to Italy, start and finish ports don't matter, but we have our three dogs with us so if anyone can advise the best crossing for us with the dogs we would appreciate your help, Ideally the shortest crossing or maybe one where us and the dogs can stay in MH?

Thanks in advance Nige and Lin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back