Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Hi

My Dads Fiat Ducato has one key which he uses to start the engine and control the alarm system. The second spare key can only be used to start the engine, It does not control the alarm. The situation we have considered is what happens if he was to set the alarm, go out, lose the key? How would he turn off the alarm? If he uses the spare key, how does the alarm stop? Or does he need to have two keys which both control the alarm.

Many Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is the second key a plain handled one or does it have the buttons ?

If it has the buttons it probably needs coding to the alarm...or a new battery.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
What year Ducato, what alarm system, what key types? Without these bits of info answers are just guesses, in fact even with these bits of info answers will still probably be guesses:D:D.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Hi

My Dads Fiat Ducato has one key which he uses to start the engine and control the alarm system. The second spare key can only be used to start the engine, It does not control the alarm. The situation we have considered is what happens if he was to set the alarm, go out, lose the key? How would he turn off the alarm? If he uses the spare key, how does the alarm stop? Or does he need to have two keys which both control the alarm.

Many Thanks
our vans at work have the same,one key that operates the central locking and alarm,and a plain spare key that only opens the door manually and starts the engine,dont ask me why,but if you open the door using the spare key and start the engine the alarm switches off.just thought about it,and the spare key disarms the alarm and operates the central locking when you open the drivers door manually,the only difference is the spare key is not a remote key.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
You can buy a second key from a Fiat dealer. Cost £250 - £350. Ridiculous price. If you do buy a second key, it has to be ordered from Fiat. They laser cut the key and programme the immobiliser switch contained in the key. Then, when the Fiat dealer receives the Key from Fiat, you have to take your vehicle, with all other keys that you have, to the dealer and they re-programme all the keys and the van. If you forget to take the other keys that you have, they will no longer work after the re-programming. You can buy "after market" keys from some places but I wouldn't trust them myself!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
You can buy "after market" keys from some places but I wouldn't trust them myself!

we bought an after market spare for our Ford Focus (immobilizer only, no alarm or remote) and it is pretty good most of the time but suffers in the cold

OP
OP
Steve101uk

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Thanks for all the replies. With the car the spare key disables the alarm when turned in the ignition. This is not happening in the motorhome. If Dad was to lose the remote key then he can start the motorhome but cant turn off the alarm. The plan now is to learn how to switch off the alarm manually should this situation ever occur. He has to find the pin number now and all the other details of the system...this is going to take a while lol cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back