hi, new to all this (1 Viewer)

W

woodenspatulas

Deleted User
im normally found camping in a tent, but i have recently got a new job at a dealer selling camper vans.

i would love to upgrade to a camper van, but i think my tastes are too big for my wallet :ROFLMAO:

now im not here to peddle my wares, but i am here to pick your brains, i hope you dont mind! :)

i like to find out all i can about the things i sell, i used to sell skoda's and i joined the skoda owners site and found it and its members to be full of information that even customer services dont know.

im not just here to leach though, Im hoping to be able to give some advice too, as i start to get to grips with the huge amount of camper vans available (which looking at the massive differences out there might take some time!)

one thing that did bring me here is to ask if anyone knows why the miles per gallon information seems to be non existant? just like their van counter parts, you just cant find any info on mpg figures :cry: surely there must be something out there for all us eco minded people to fret over :)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Welcome to the best place,
you will find that we all glean a lot of info. from the site, but we all have some info. that is of use to others, I feel sure that you will find this to be the case.
Regarding MPG figures, I believe that a potential buyer may not like what you may tell them!!!!!!
Nigel & Pamala

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Welcome to the site. Plenty of info to be had here and plenty of tradespeople as well. With regard to MPG figures they are available for the base vehicles but once converted the weights vary. There are a few threads on here regarding MPG, just search. As to having an imagination bigger than your wallet we all suffer from that syndrome, however as a tenter you should have minimal needs to start with and am sure a part exchange bargain will soon come your way. We do have a chat room on here and you will usually find me there every night. Please note trade members should be noted as such, just drop Jim a PM and he will update your profile.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

woodenspatulas

Deleted User
Welcome to the site. Plenty of info to be had here and plenty of tradespeople as well. With regard to MPG figures they are available for the base vehicles but once converted the weights vary. There are a few threads on here regarding MPG, just search. As to having an imagination bigger than your wallet we all suffer from that syndrome, however as a tenter you should have minimal needs to start with and am sure a part exchange bargain will soon come your way. We do have a chat room on here and you will usually find me there every night. Please note trade members should be noted as such, just drop Jim a PM and he will update your profile.

ive used the contact us bit off the main page, should have just pm'd jim direct now i think of it!

OP
OP
W

woodenspatulas

Deleted User
Welcome to the best place,
you will find that we all glean a lot of info. from the site, but we all have some info. that is of use to others, I feel sure that you will find this to be the case.
Regarding MPG figures, I believe that a potential buyer may not like what you may tell them!!!!!!
Nigel & Pamala

i realise they might not be great news, but i do like to give a honest answer to questions :thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi!

I' m the french bit of the site, and don't have a motorhome(just offering a free park place for a peaceful night for people coming to Toulouse, France) BUT... have a SKODA! :ROFLMAO:
FELICIA break! So i might ask you advices about it! she's old(1996) and a bit rusty in some little places, but still doing a good job!
I did camping too as a tenter and spent many holidays in my parents caravan, i love this life style, just as you .... can't afford any more at the present!

Nice people here! you'll enjoy the site!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Mpg

Hi there,
hope you manage to sell more motorhomes. As I can testify, it is a great way to get out and about.
MPG - We purchased a Dethleffs A class on a Ducato chassis 2.3 litre, this motorhome returns between 30 to 34 miles per gallon in the three thousand miles covered so far.
My brother in law has a Burstner A class with a 3.0 ltr lump and he proudly boasts of getting 34mpg while touring.

Hope this helps
regards, weejohnw

it's nice to be important, however it's more important to be nice. ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
Mpg

Hi

Welcome.

Not sure of a source for mpg. We have a Roller Team which is on a Renault Master 2.5 Tdi and we get 30+mpg. Hope this helps?

Dave:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi & welcome :thumb:
MPG figures all approx :ROFLMAO:
American RV 8 / 12 mpg :Eeek:
coach built with big bump on head 22 plus
coach built low profile 25 plus
Panel van conversion 26 plus
these are realistic figures of what you should get,unless talking to a dealer trying to sell then they all add 10 mpg :ROFLMAO:,and all can be improved upon a bit :thumb:

indeed I run a 4.2 ton iveco 2.8 td LP and get 27 mpg using it as I would the car on hols,going to shops pub etc rather than just park up :ROFLMAO:---( I got 31 mpg before I fitted the roof box) so it is a mix of m/w and town driving,not hanging around either
terry

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
hiya it dont matter the size the age etc its what you want and unless you going to to use as a daily driver the mpg dont matter either :ROFLMAO: normaly a van conversion first try then on to bigger things poss have fun anyway :thumb:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi and a big welcome to the fun!
We've started with a second hand older A class and love her and MHoming. You don't have to have lots of money to follow your dream....
Sorry I'm not good on technical stuff like mpg but ours is supposed to do 30mph -she bats along happily at 70. Good luck in the new job and looking for your piece of M Home heaven.
Lucille:Smile:

OP
OP
W

woodenspatulas

Deleted User
thanks everyone, is there a thread on mpg of different models at all?

maybe we could start a "real life3 mpg thread to help out anyone who would need to take that into consieration when buying a MH?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
maybe we could start a "real life3 mpg thread to help out anyone who would need to take that into consieration when buying a MH?

thats a good idea but its flawed.:Doh:

i get 26/27mpg from my 2.8 ducato....others with the same model/ engine say they get 32/34mpg.:RollEyes:
everyone likes to think they get a good mpg but it needs checking over quite a few tankfulls and work out the average.
i'v checked mine over around 6 tankfulls (420ltr) , 70% motorways...30% A roads, and it seems consistant but that can change in time depending on terrain.:cry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

woodenspatulas

Deleted User
thats a good idea but its flawed.:Doh:

i get 26/27mpg from my 2.8 ducato....others with the same model/ engine say they get 32/34mpg.:RollEyes:
everyone likes to think they get a good mpg but it needs checking over quite a few tankfulls and work out the average.
i'v checked mine over around 6 tankfulls (420ltr) , 70% motorways...30% A roads, and it seems consistant but that can change in time depending on terrain.:cry:

i understand everyone gets different mpgs, even the same person using two vans can get different results, but i was thinking more about getting more than one reading, then we could start to see a general picture of how they perform.

If the manfacturers wont do it im sure it wouldnt take long to see patterns appear and a average mpg easy to spot

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have a B630 based on a LHD Mercedes Sprinter 316 chassis. It has a fully automatic 5-speed box (not Sprintshift) and a 2.7 litre 5 cylinder engine. I tend not to push too hard with the right foot; normally cruise around 50 on good A/B roads or 60-65 on motorways (apart from one thrash back through France last Autumn on the autoroutes when I had to get home in a hurry).

Being bit of a spreadsheet freak, I have kept detailed fuel and mileage records. Using 2,390 litres of diesel since buying the van, I have averaged 23.8 mpg. I admire anyone who can beat 30 mpg consistently with a vehicle approaching 4 tonnes in weight!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
i understand everyone gets different mpgs, even the same person using two vans can get different results, but i was thinking more about getting more than one reading, then we could start to see a general picture of how they perform.

If the manfacturers wont do it im sure it wouldnt take long to see patterns appear and a average mpg easy to spot

Already gave you a general picture on my first post :ROFLMAO: It is all going to depend on the miles done to get where you are going and what you do once arrived ::bigsmile:If all you are doing is motorway then parking up,you are going to get better mpg but if you use the van for running around then the mpg will suffer :Eeek::thumb::ROFLMAO: ie used to have a v6 tranny that would return 20 mpg on a run but as soon as you started to run around it dropped to 15 mpg average so must have done around 10 / 12 mpg around town :Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry
JeanLuc,I am with you on this but my Iveco 2.8 td 4.2 ton did return 31 mpg ish until I fitted a roof box now it is down to 27 mpg on both a mix of m/w and town driving using it as I would the car whilst on hols ie going to shops and sight seeing doing a mix of 700 mls m/w there and back, then about 600 to 700 running about.

Last edited:

shifter

Free Member
Jan 18, 2009
wee island across pond NI
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
3 years
Mpg ???

HI AND WEICOME