Ray Mears brands caravans 'hideous' - and is then axed as motorhome show speaker (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ha ha ha..well said that man, have always liked him:)

A proper Boy Scout.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That's a bit mean spirited.. he spoke the truth .. there are acres of statics all along some coastlines and they do look hideous.

I like him a lot.. a self made outdoors man who actually does what he says.. not like that other clown Bear Grylls who stays in hotels while 'on location' ..also been appointed Chief Scout .. a celebrity showman.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I don't think he will miss the 10k the bad publicity will make him more true woodsman a man of the country.
if those statics weren't there would be more places to go wilding at the sea side
bill

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
That's a bit mean spirited.. he spoke the truth .. there are acres of statics all along some coastlines and they do look hideous.

I like him a lot.. a self made outdoors man who actually does what he says.. not like that other clown Bear Grylls who stays in hotels while 'on location' ..also been appointed Chief Scout .. a celebrity showman.

Cant all be motorhomers. The masses of static vans provide inexpensive holidays for thousands of people who can neither afford or want to travel like most of us.....BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I don't think he will miss the 10k the bad publicity will make him more true woodsman a man of the country.
if those statics weren't there would be more places to go wilding at the sea side
bill

bill
10k is nothing to him. His knives sell at £400 plus and there is a waiting list. STUPID COMMENT THOUGH. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
and most static sites are owned by crooks and shysters who rip off there costumers on a yearly basis
bill

Same comment could be said about many Motorhome Dealers.....BUSBY.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Tuesday, 20, Jan 2015 11:39
by Broken Link Removed
Ray Mears expresses his dislike of caravans and caravanners during Room 101 rant

With less than a month to go before the Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show 2015, special guest speaker Ray Mears has hit out in a scathing attack on the caravanning community.
Appearing on BBC One show, Room 101, where celebrities compete to have their pet hates banished forever, Mears, 50, has nominated the caravan as his number one peeve.
On the subject of caravans, the bushtrail and survivalist expert said: "I just think they're hideous. Huge swathes of our coastline are just covered in these things."
Describing caravans as something akin to "mobile breadbins", Mears went on: "I wouldn't mind so much if they could be painted green, but they have to be painted white.
"You go down to Devon and all you can see are cities of these displaced urban people in their ghastly white caravans."
Ironically enough, Mears also chose to send "fakes" to Room 101, stating: "I can't stand fakes of any description.
"I like reality, and the world seems to be increasingly full of make-believe fakery and I think we should be aware."
Hmmm. so let's get this straight; Mears can't stand fakery of any kind, but is more than happy to stand in front of a sea of caravanners whilst talking about the virtues of this popular pastime, having previously expressed a strong dislike for them? Pot, kettle Ray?
In light of Mears' comments, show organisers, the National Caravan Council (NCC) exclusively told CaravanTimes: "We were planning promotional activity at the Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show using Ray Mears and we were disappointed to hear his recent comments made on television about caravans.
"Consequently the activity with Ray is under review. Having said that we would like to extend an open invitation for Ray to take a holiday in a caravan which will show him what a fantastic experience it actually is and how it enables millions of people to enjoy the great outdoors."
If the NCC does decide to allow Mears to remain as special guest speaker at the show, we can't help but feel as though the outspoken toff may need to bring the best of his survival skills to the stage in order to fend off the swathe of angry "urban people" in attendance. Isn't that worth the admission price alone? If so, get your tickets here now!
CaravanTimes has reached out to Mears for comment and we'll be sure to update you, should he decide to come down from his tree house anytime soon.
Meanwhile check out his outspoken appearance on Room 101 below (the caravan assault starts around the 22 minute mark) and let us know what you think. Would you give Ray the time of day?
Broken Link Removed

Ray Mears brands caravans 'hideous' - and is then axed as motorhome show speaker
The TV survival star is told he won't get a £10,000 appearance fee after being dropped from the Caravan, Camping and Motorhome Show in Birmingham
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...er-branding-caravans-hideous-and-elitist.html

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Well I was looking at some old slides of when I was at caravan parks in Wales in the 1960's it looks like somebody dumped them there and left.......things seem much cleaner and better now (y)

123165543.RcTlYj0n.welshcaravansite1964.jpg

123164956.UPm2tarn.gnats1967.jpg

Anyway Karma indeed.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back