Aires Biarritz/Bordeaux/Poitiers/Rouen/Calais (1 Viewer)

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
Sadly our winter in Portugal has been cut short by illness so we have to travel back home at the end of January. Our route will take us into France near Biarritz then on to Calais (can't do ferries so taking the tunnel). We have a week to do it in and have stops planned in Portugal and Spain but no idea of aires in France along this route. Anyone any suggestions please?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Look in the resources section.. My route to Benidorm will have what you want.

I will add the link later, currently on my ipad and it has a stupid paste problem stopping me from adding it...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
There is an Aire at Biaritz which is usually pretty busy. At Poitier we stop at Futuroscope , a theme park,where there is a large aire which can accommodate upwards of 100 vans.
Brisey.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
A place that never gets mentioned on here, except by me is Blaye just above above bordoux , free , on the coast right in the town.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Went to Blaye before Christmas but the Aire was closed because they were doing construction work (looked like they were building a new ferry terminal)
Didn't ask whether the Aire was to be reinstated but the lady at the Tourist Info. shop in the Citadell gave me a map showing at least 12 vineyards in the immediate Blaye area that welcome Motorhomes.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Here it is.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/tonkas-western-route-to-spain.99/

Chaser, I think the reason places like Blaye (not been there) dont get mentioned is that often people are travelling through and just need an overnight stop not to far from the main route... Sure that instead of allowing 2/3 days to transit France and maybe taking a week or more those sort of stop overs would be ideal...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you are travelling North on the non toll route there is a nice one just South of Angouleme at Nersac, had free water and electric when we were there. Also further North one at Chateaudun but not used it and another just past Chateaudun right by the side of the N10 at Marboue and a couple just North of Rouen off the N27 one at Cleres and one at Montville, if you head for one of these it takes you easy peasy through Rouen and is the route we used when the bridge was closed (open by now I guess). Further North still some people have used the aire at the Baie de Somme services.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Went to Blaye before Christmas but the Aire was closed because they were doing construction work (looked like they were building a new ferry terminal)
Didn't ask whether the Aire was to be reinstated but the lady at the Tourist Info. shop in the Citadell gave me a map showing at least 12 vineyards in the immediate Blaye area that welcome Motorhomes.
Hope it is , might they be putting toilets and stuff in as well , if they do you will have a job to get on it, not in any of our books but as you say large citadel just up from it , boats on the other side ,large market two days a week , right in the town , not large but quite a few bars and cafes and shops, we have been a few times and hardly ever see UK vans there, must hold thirty and last time we went in September we were the only english on there.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You can actually park inside the citadel, all set out with taps and grid but looked at the prices and didn't bother:Eeek: never seen anyone in there

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hope it is , might they be putting toilets and stuff in as well , if they do you will have a job to get on it, not in any of our books but as you say large citadel just up from it , boats on the other side ,large market two days a week , right in the town , not large but quite a few bars and cafes and shops, we have been a few times and hardly ever see UK vans there, must hold thirty and last time we went in September we were the only english on there.
Just had the new alltheaires drop through the door and lo and behold Blaye is in this new one.

Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
Marboue is very good and popular and its only about 100yards from the main road. We have stopped there at least 4 times.
The aire faces a park and the main road is no problem.

John

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Marboue is very good and popular and its only about 100yards from the main road. We have stopped there at least 4 times.
The aire faces a park and the main road is no problem.

John
We've stopped there a few times too. We've noticed that a lot of Brits try to apply the 20ft rule (well, maybe it was 10ft). One French campingcariste, in frustration, parked 1ft from a Brit who was taking up two places!

Nov 9, 2012
Paignton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1995
We've stopped there a few times too. We've noticed that a lot of Brits try to apply the 20ft rule (well, maybe it was 10ft). One French campingcariste, in frustration, parked 1ft from a Brit who was taking up two places!
Its always been busy when we have stopped there, I counted 22 vans once with many parked in the car park adjacent and the
layby along the lane.

John

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Biarritz: Ave Milady (south of centre) has EHU, Anglet Boulevard des Plages (north of centre) is quieter but no EHU.

Poitiers: Parc Futuroscope at Jaunay-Clan (north of Poitiers) - The park is closed until early Feb but we stopped in their huge MH parking area (on the right as you go in) when it was closed in the autumn. The access barrier is apparently left up on the approach road to allow service buses through. It's got a 3.5m height limit. Service point still works when the park's shut.

The Wissant aire (30 minutes short of Calais) is free and quiet.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Biarritz Ave Milady aire now has gated access and is €12 a night inc hook up
we were here last week
Aire at Vendome had closed and tow away signs last week