Gaslow - Fitting second Cylinder (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I have a single 11kg refillable gaslow cylinder with a second 6kg calor lite which has proven to be a good set up, especially in Scotland and the Isles where re-fillable is in short supply. Not so ideal when heading over the channel. I'm thinking about altering current set up and to have a second 11kg gaslow cylinder.

Anyone done this themselves, just wondering what is required and involved?

Dave

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Its easy enough to do but you need to make sure you have the correct Cylinder, You need to have a number one and a number two - the filler goes into the number two and there is a pipe which goes from the number two to the number one cylinder - see Gaslow's website for a more coherent explanation!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Personally I'd keep the set up you have.. it gives the most flexibility of supply.

as you say, LPG is widely available abroad, so you don't really need two 11kg refillable bottles ..
but it's not so widely available in Spain and some other countries, and not available at all in Morocco, so having a space to fit an exchange bottle is very handy..

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Personally I'd keep the set up you have.. it gives the most flexibility of supply.

as you say, LPG is widely available abroad, so you don't really need two 11kg refillable bottles ..
but it's not so widely available in Spain and some other countries, and not available at all in Morocco, so having a space to fit an exchange bottle is very handy..

Have you been talking to my wife? o_O She says the same, thinks when nothing needs doing I just look for something! I've never had trouble filling up in France, in fact the French adapter and their nozzles are easier. Did have some trouble finding it in Spain but in 'All the Aires' for Spain they now have LPG listings, so probably you and the wife are right! :whistle:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
. Did have some trouble finding it in Spain but in 'All the Aires' for Spain they now have LPG listings, so probably you and the wife are right! :whistle:

The LPG network in Spain is getting better, but depending where you are, you may have to go quiet a distance to fill up.. your wife and I would get on I think :LOL:

on the other hand , twin tanks would last longer in Spain.. all depends whether you are touring in summer or winter ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
You can connect any local cylinder to your fill point if you run out.

Looks handy, but no garage to store cylinder (he says enviously), except at home, and that's full to bursting so probably best the van doesn't have one!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The same problem if you keep the calor as you cannot exchange it in Spain or outside UK? So to me TWO refillables are the better option.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
on the other hand , twin tanks would last longer in Spain.. all depends whether you are touring in summer or winter ..

Just as I'm about to agree with my wife you throw this at me! It will be winter, about 8 weeks worth from end Feb. But then once through France we use mostly ACSI with hook up so no need to to use gas for heating. Mostly cooking, gas BBQ...but then we now have an electric 'griddle from Lidl' so, no probably gas a plenty!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We use at least 20 litres per week in Winter.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The same problem if you keep the calor as you cannot exchange it in Spain or outside UK? So to me TWO refillables are the better option.

no problem.. you throw the Calor away .. did that myself when we ran out in France many years ago with a caravan.. long before LPG was on 'tap'

Even with a large underslung tank, it's a good plan to have a back-up facility.. like a BBQ point to plug a local bottle into..

I don't think there is a 'better' option.. . just choices.. both have advantages, it depends very much on where and when you are touring.. keep the options open is my maxim

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Even with a large underslung tank, it's a good plan to have a back-up facility.. like a BBQ point to plug a local bottle into..
If you plug in the BBQ point you need a regulator on the bottle.
If you use the hose I linked to you don't.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Of course you need a regulator with a BBQ point.. thought that was a given..
they are cheap as chips and you buy with the bottle.. I have a box of regulators from around Europe.

My motorhome had a large LPG tank.. but no matter how big, if there is nowhere to refill it.. or it's too far to travel to do so,
i.e. Morocco.. it will run out, that is when I used local bottles and plugged into a point on the LP side of the system.

Back to the OP.. keep your system flexible... if you have space to store the Gaslow bottle when it runs out, . go with the hose idea.. if not, keep the system you have.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I have had a price back from Gaslow on what I need as follows:

1 x 01-4011-67-2 11kg No.2 Refillable Cylinder £165.00
1 x 01-4200 Connecting hose £ 54.00
1 x 01-4331 Propane Adaptor £ 14.00 (for your easyfit ss hose)
1 x 01-1755 Automatic Changeover £ 57.00 or 01-1630 Manual Changeover £27.00

I would hunt around a bit to try to better these prices, how do they look? Would the numbers (01-4011-67-2) be common codes/part numbers? If they are, handy for searching the used markets.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is unlikely that you have an R67 bottle, therefore you don't want an R67 second bottle like the one you listed.
Broken Link Removed

Also you do not need a stainless steel interconnect hose. It is a complete waste of money as it only carries gas during the filling process.
A hose like this is all you need but check how much length you need for your locker
0.5m 0.75m or 1.0 metre
example Broken Link Removed
The gasit POL adapter is cheaper too
http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=94

Changeover valve http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=160

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our PVC's gas locker is meant to take 2 x 7kg Calor cylinders (or 2 x 6kg refillable ones) but I managed to get my existing 11kg Gaslow one in. It does mean that we only have the one bottle with no option to carry a spare but we don't have any problems when abroad regarding filling up or running out. We do carry a suitcase type stove that takes aerosol type canisters which we can use outside or in an emergency if gas is getting low (not that we've need to use it for that yet) so this might be an alternative to getting another refillable bottle to eek out your supply.

Forgot to say, we've done trips of 7 weeks and not had a problem!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I'm thinking I might just leave the current set up, we're probably only doing 8 weeks so most gas being used through France where there's not any problem topping up. Once in Spain it will be mostly if not entirely ACSI sites. With going to Scotland again in July I'll need the Calor Lite set up again!

Thanks for all the help with the decision making!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
comme tant (y)
gaslow1-XL.jpg

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Hi Andy
I'm looking to get a set up like yours, in a similar locker like yours - except the door opens vertically.
My question is where to site the filler? Have you got the internal one? Only can't see it in the pic.
I'm really nervous of making holes in the bodywork so is it permissible to have the filler in the door?
Cheers
Steve

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That was my first van Steve (Autocruise Starspirit) No I would never have an in locker filler, it is worth the little bit of effort to have it right.
filler1-XL.jpg

filler2-XL.jpg

My current van has underslung
CA_11231411581952-XL.jpg

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Thanks Andy... I was going to be a chicken and install a Gas-It system myself with an internal filler

but now I think I might get it fitted for me by someone that's happy/confident to make the holes :) :) It looks so much better and looks much more practical for filling

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
There is no limit to the length of the fill hose. Once you have drilled a hole in the bottom of the gas locker or anywhere below floor level, you can put the fill point anywhere. So if your gas locker is on the opposite side to your fuel filler it is a good move to take the filler hose across the underbody to the same side.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
There is no limit to the length of the fill hose
Unless using Gaslow stainless steel filler pipe. IMHO that is a waste of money. JIC hydraulic hoses come in many lengths and can be joined.
Broken Link Removed

From the bottles to the regulator stainless steel is justifiable

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want something more discrete there's a smaller filler which you can put under the skirt/bumper like this black square one:

Gas-it fill point.jpg

l322_left_03.jpg

If I was doing an installation again this is what I'd use as I could mount it in the centre of the rear of the MH, that way whichever side the LPG pump is I would be able to reach it regardless of which side I parked.

marjohn

Free Member
Jun 25, 2013
lowestoft
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
9 years
Hello regarding your gas bottles phone gas flow they will help you also when we where in Morocco I took one of bottles out connected a hose on the end of the connector to connect to a morocco gas bottles yippee we live in Lowestoft marjohn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back