LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2015
Shetland
Funster No
MH
Baileys 745
Exp
Since 2015
We are brand new at this motorhome game and would like some advice on what sort of sat/nav system to get. We've seen ones on the internet which are pre-loaded with caravan club sites or camping and caravan club sites or both, we intend to travel in both the UK and Europe so would welcome some advice please.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We have had a couple of Tom-toms the last was the 1005. We nowhere a Garmin 3598LMT which I think is better than the Tom-tom in that it is more flexible and you can load your own POI if you want to. All the trip planning with as many steps as you want is great. I haven't gone for the type of satnav that is for caravans etc but I know some like them.

6000 miles last year through France, Belgium, Holland Germany and back into France and I think it got it wrong on about three occasions, so if thats any recommendation you would be OK.

I would stress that any satnav instruction should be regarded as a suggestion, not to be slavishly obeyed, you must look at the road/turning and then decide if you want to take it. If you igonre the satnav it will very soon plan an alternative route.

Another think I like about the Garmin is it will give you up to three choices of route for given destination, even so I usually check the map before I set off just to see if I like the look of the route as at that point its easy to replan.

Generally a satnav is a great servant and I wouldn't be without it, it makes our trips much more pleasurable. BUT its a poor master, if obeyed rigidly.

Whatever you go for I am sure you will have a great time, particularly in Europe.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/cOnTheRoad-cAutomotive-bBRAND465-p1.html

Try Halfords for a look see.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I wouldn't bother with preloaded campsites. They will rapidly be out of date, and there are many sets of pois that you can download from the web usually for free. Just be sure that your chosen satnav will allow you to install youf own poi files, as some of the newer tomtoms don't.
Caravan club or caravan and camping club sites are only useful in the uk as they don't have sites elsewhere

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Garmin sat nav for us despite having one as part of the media centre.
Use Garmin BaseCamp software (free) on pc (or iOS) to plan routes (in larger scale) and then load to the sat nav.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I had one similar to this and it was great for the price (now dropped and broken) just about to order one of these as its got the reverse camera as well there are several on here bought similar chinese gps units most are happy Broken Link Removed

David

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi SteveO'.
There's always a war between Garmin and TomTom users :D
Both parties are fiercely loyal. And then there's the cheapo Chinese/ebay devotees!

There is a separate forum on here called GPS NAVIGATION. If you go to the Forums tab, then scroll way down, you'll find it. Has loads of information on there which should help you to decide.

Me? I use A program called CoPilot on an iPad. It cost just over £30 so I get to use the iPad conventionally as well as getting a Sat Nav.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got a Pioneer camper/truck one mated with a Pioneer DAB radio that's great. Far better than the big name one I was using before. You do have to have the compatible head unit though.

Upvote 0

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I do the same as wingman, my advice if you have a tablet checkout Co-Pilot. With a tablet you can also run any of the camping Apps on it so it is much more useful than just a Sat Nav.
Ezee

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quite a choice, I use TomTom loaded onto my iPhone and iPad, I have used TomTom for years so and used to it and to me it seems easier to use that Co-Pilot but I guess its what you are used to, many people say that Co-Pilot is very good and I am not going to argue with them. Whichever one of these two you have on your phone or tablet it is all loaded on so does not need data to access maps so no worries about data when abroad.

I like the convenience of having the sat-nav in my pocket when walking around and especially when out on the bikes it comes in really useful.

I dont use any preloaded POI or sites but do have Campercontact app on the Phone and this will find you a site and then put the Coordinates straight into TomTom or other routing apps if you have them installed.

I guess its what suits you.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have a vested interest as I sell them. (just thought I should mention that) lol

I prefer the clutter free dashboard! So in our Motorhome we have a double DIN Pioneer unit which has DAB radio, truck navigation, with length width height ect, side and rear view cameras and also streams Blutooth our music through the motorhome. Great when driving or when on site.

A Funster lady recently asked us to install a chinese imported eBay special, and was horrified when we pointed out that it was a cloned unit with knocked off software, worse as a direct import, no duty paid,
no VAT paid and if it burst into flames whilst she was driving down the road, no liability accepted whatsoever from her suppliers. I am sure that this is somtbing people don't realise

I wonder how many of us that complain about big business paying tax abroad to reduce their corporation tax liability, which is legal, do cash jobs, or pay tradesmen cash, and illegally import stuff with duty or VAT being paid?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Does co pilot work off line on I pad?

Yes

You can download a trial that will calculate routes but wont guide you until you pay for it.

I believe if you want it one iPad and iPhone you pay a different price, with TomTom you pay once and it works on both devices when you have synced.

Upvote 0

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Hi we have a DEZL 560 lmt garmin satnav with lifetime map updates also you can input your motorhome dimensions so it routes you on the best roads suitable for your van. No problems so far and pleased with the satnav. We have loaded all poi files for sites and aires around europe so can find most places we want.

Upvote 0

Goronwy

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Varies
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Since 2008
Yes

You can download a trial that will calculate routes but wont guide you until you pay for it.

I believe if you want it one iPad and iPhone you pay a different price, with TomTom you pay once and it works on both devices when you have synced.
Thank you

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back