Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
year will the weather be nice or is it just your luck or what part of
france would be best for some nice weather thanks

Northern France has UK weather and you know what that is like. But get to the Med and June should be excellent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
yep weather be fine in June further south you go tends to be better weather, we're going near Sable d'olonne.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Just go, you will have fun, use the 'aires' , if it's raining, you can just move on....remember in 6 hours you could be 360 miles south, and chasing the sun....
ENJOY

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi ,Wherever you go it will be an adventure ,being your first time ,take things easy don't set out to go too far, spend a couple of hours each day to get used to driving on the opposite side of the road and get your confidence , chill out and enjoy .France is a massive country with lots to see .don't rush it lol.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Just like the UK the weather is variable no matter what part of France you visit.
We aren't that far south, about level with Le Mans but more to the west. We have had summers where I've been in shorts from April to October and other years where the weather has been crap up until the end of May. Having said that most years we get temperatures some days in the high 30's from early June.
Just come over and enjoy.
As others have said, it's a big country, just don't try and cram too much and too many miles into a short visit

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We went for the first time last year, absolutely loved it as said before huge country with lots to see
Driving is easy very few cars compared to the UK, just take your time and enjoy and if no sun just keep driving South until you find it
Brilliant experience from start to finish

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Last year we went over on Aug 4th, we had a date for a week with some carp in a lake roughly level with Montlucon and were meeting No1 daughter and son-in-law there. Weather quite nice - cut-offs and short sleeves until the Saturday we got to the lake. Basically we were perished for the week, especially at night.

At the end of the week, we went south and they went back up to Normandy and had a week there. They had to go and buy a fan heater they were so cold - we moved about 75 miles south and changed into vests and shorts.

You NEVER know what the weather is going to be like, even with the forecasts but in France you don't usually have to move THAT far to see a real change in both weather and temperature - and aires and motorhomes are ideal for making the most of that fact.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Norrie14,
It depends on how long you are planning to go , also are you looking to relax or do you want to drive a lot.
Don't plan to much , personally we set satnav to avoid peage roads ( payable motorways) as the French road system is so good why pay extra, also you miss so much of the interesting towns and villages.
Tell us how long and what you looking for , ie beaches ,cities, villages or countryside & I'm sure someone will be a log with a lot more help.
Terry

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
As said it's a big country. Roughly two and a half times the size of us. But pretty much the same population so there's plenty of space.

Driving on the other side of the road is easy - just remember that you are always in the gutter. That was told to me a long time ago and it's a simple reminder where you should be.

The most dangerous time I find is when you pull over to get fuel, or a croissant, and the station/shop is on the other side of the road. You lose your concentration and it is so easy to hop in the vehicle and off you go - on the wrong side of the road!

Don't fill up with fuel on motorway services if you are using them - preferably use supermarkets they're the cheapest. Out of hours most auto fuel pumps take UK cards nowadays but not always.

If you don't speak any French at least learn a few words like please, thank you and hello. It will make a lot of difference to the reaction of the person you need to speak to.

The Loire river is regarded as the point where the temperature below that line becomes mediterannean but for you first trip I would not go too far south. There's plenty to see and enjoy all over the country.

Don't travel on the first Saturday in July - Dutch are out in huge numbers as holiday time begins and never, never on the first Saturday in August as the whole of France starts their holidays and roads will be horrendous.

Just chill and enjoy.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
If it is just a short holiday, and the weather is good when you arrive in France, then there are plenty of beautiful and interesting places to visit in Normandy and Brittany. If you have more time, or the weather up north is not good, then head on south. There's a choice of west coast if you want seaside, or exploring the many lovely areas in central France. The main message contained in most of the posts above is don't rush it unless you are chasing the sun! You will be surprised at how big France is.
If you get down as far as us (not far from Limoges) then you'll have a good chance of meeting other Funsters and comparing notes. Wherever you go the weather can vary, but generally we get plenty of warm sunshine throughout the summer.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

T

Tackle man

Deleted User
As said it's a big country. Roughly two and a half times the size of us. But pretty much the same population so there's plenty of space.

Driving on the other side of the road is easy - just remember that you are always in the gutter. That was told to me a long time ago and it's a simple reminder where you should be.

The most dangerous time I find is when you pull over to get fuel, or a croissant, and the station/shop is on the other side of the road. You lose your concentration and it is so easy to hop in the vehicle and off you go - on the wrong side of the road!

Don't fill up with fuel on motorway services if you are using them - preferably use supermarkets they're the cheapest. Out of hours most auto fuel pumps take UK cards nowadays but not always.

If you don't speak any French at least learn a few words like please, thank you and hello. It will make a lot of difference to the reaction of the person you need to speak to.

The Loire river is regarded as the point where the temperature below that line becomes mediterannean but for you first trip I would not go too far south. There's plenty to see and enjoy all over the country.

Don't travel on the first Saturday in July - Dutch are out in huge numbers as holiday time begins and never, never on the first Saturday in August as the whole of France starts their holidays and roads will be horrendous.

Just chill and enjoy.

Very informative post. As I'm planning on going to France this has helped me too.
Thank you.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We usually head for Charente-Maritime (Atlantic coast just above the Gironde river) or further south if we want a goodly dose of sunshine.

The Med coast can get stinking hot in summer and we prefer sea with waves so we're not big Med fans, but each to their own.

One of our standing jokes is it always rains when we're driving through Normandy, regardless of the weather elsewhere - we're rarely wrong.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Here in Burgundy the weather is usually pretty good from mid May to the end of September.

At this level, about halfway down the length of France, average summer temps are about 25C in our experience, although in July and August it can hit the 30s quite easily.

Showers can occur at any time though. If you want to ensure dry, as well as hot weather, you need to be looking towards the Med area.

From Calais to the Med Cost is an easy run by Autoroute

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Hi
We spent the last 2 Junes in France.
the first year we took our time heading south through the Normandy beaches down to La Rochelle where we ran out of time so slowly headed back through the middle if France. We tended to drive when the weather was bad.
Last year we wanted the sun so I planned a route using motorways and good A roads to Biarritz as fast as possible. Then just spent time around there but taking a week to head back.
We have always used the tunnel which is brilliant but last year we were on the peninsular by Cherbourg. Absolutely beautiful with terrific aires.
We are heading to Ireland this year so will really miss France but when we return next year we will return via Cherbourg.
Kim and I are so envious - you just get your book on all the aires and the ACSI campsite book point your motorhome and have fun
Don

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
as said its a big country and you dont say how long you have. What ever the time span dont rush the glory for us is your never far from an aire you realy can be like gypsies, just wander.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
When we are in France we always prefer to be settled on a site for Bastile day and feel secure. July 14th. After that the French holidays start and the roads in some areas become very busy with plenty of snarl ups similar to the M25.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
As said by others, get the book "All the Aires of France" It doesn't cost too much and will last you years. You get little pictures of the "Aire" you are intending to go for and all the details about it.. Lots of the Aires are free and in picturesque places and are a good safe place to overnight and empty your toilet cassette. You may have to pay a couple of Euros to fill up with water . But hey, that is cheap for" living the dream" !!!
I have assumed this will be your first trip to France in the van ??
(("Assume" makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me' ))
But I hope the info helps.. Enjoy..
Mitch. (y)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hello again NORRIE14... I forgot to say that you can download "Campercontact" to your I-Pad for less than £10 and you can use it "Off-line" which is an advantage.. It will give you lots of info about 17,500 of places to stop..All over Europe.. Great value.
Have a demo on line before you buy..
PS.. If you also download TomTom to your I-Pad, the two 'apps' work seamlessly together..
Mitch..

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
As a rough guide the weather is warmer and drier south of the Loire. It's worth getting a weather app that you are satisfied with, plugging in about 8 big cities and then follow the sun. Usually, it is better in the bottom right hand corner (south east). Also, take note that the Alps are fantastic in sunny weather and simply boring in wet. (is it drier or dryer).

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
We have a few weeks there every July and don't travel much further South than ils de Noirmutier near Nantes. The weather can be a bit up and down up North but its generally much better further South. The roads are marvellous and very little traffic so driving is very easy but its the co-pilots job to remind you to drive on the left especially when setting off after being parked or on roundabouts. Be aware that when going through very small villages an old driving law still persists when traffic entering your road from the right have the right of way. It used to be total madness when this law existed everywhere in France especially on roundabouts that drivers could just force their way in resulting in total blockages:(

OP
OP
norrie14

norrie14

Free Member
Apr 24, 2011
glasgow
Funster No
MH
roller team
Exp