Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Hi,

Hoping to pick the brains of everyone out there....

We are planning on heading for Croatia In our old van for a change this year I n the last three weeks of August as we are stuck with school holidays

Anyone know if it is necessary to pre book sites there at that time of year?? Think mainly of the Isteria area.

Normally we just wing it and go Where we please on the spur of The moment Once we have decided on an area, but Croatia is new to us

Thank you all!

Daniel.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We were there at the end of July several years ago. Parts were busy - especially the bigger sites but there were a number of smaller sites that had spaces. You may find that it is very windy at the end of August which impacts on the enjoyment in certain areas.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
we're going to croatia, but in early august, we have booked our site at novigrad, right on the beach.
Then from there, we will just turn up at a site and chance our luck. Never failed in france in august.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My daughters friends had terrible problems finding vacancies in campsites ( tent though, not motorhome) in August. Said every diet they went to was heaving.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
it will be busy but some sites tend to be massive (which we try to avoid) so can always get on somewhere if not your first choice...

Baska on Krk island nice and from here on down coast (island hopping) nicer and a bit less busy than Istria. (check italian school holiday dates!). found Istria overcrowded and water dirty compared to further south, water gets dirtier as you head up towards Italy. very attractive Venetian towns though. . if you fancy a week somewhere in particular just book. my mate goes to Premantura peninsular at south tip of Istria and like it..did not go there though

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Have done Slovenia and Croatia in August, (we have kids so school hols too).

Booked nothing, as usual. Had no problems and always found nice pitches even though the sites were fairly busy.

Just do it.........

OP
OP
danielf
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Morning

Thanks all for you replies !

My wife is worried as its somewhere we have not been before about booking given the season normally we would just aire it and go where we please.

We would tend to avoid larger sites normally but may have to use some. Premantura sounds good.

Daniel.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
There are no Aires that I know of?

second time we went we ended up on a few monster sites because of necessity, but it was the end of a 6 week tour and ACSI rate had kicked in.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have been going to Istria the last 4 years. We generally go in July and August, last year we went August/September. We always book the first site in advance just to ensure we are not messing about driving round, and then decide where to move on to after that. Some of the sites do get full in the marked pitches and you end up finding space in what they call 'free area' not that it is free just that you find a suitable space to park up. There are many sites in Istria, the majority are on the coast. The bigger sites generally will have space more so than the smaller sites. We will be in Camping Park Umag this year during July/August, that is our favourite site. It is big with lots to do. Probably not suited to everybody but we like it. My advice is book your first site, just for ease of mind, then decide what you want to do after that, stay or move on......Derek

OP
OP
danielf
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Thanks again all for the useful replies I fancy the islands but isteria has a few places we would like to see ....

Daniel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back