No water! Sureflo on AT Dakota (1 Viewer)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We've been away on the road since late November and just now got a problem with the water. I wanted to pick some of your brains and see if anyone knows what the problem could be.......

The flow stopped coming through, but there is a feint noise coming from the pump and after a minute or so I noticed slight smouldering from two spade connections on the base of the pump.

There are no leaks.......does it sound as if it's knackered?:crying:
Many thanks in advance.

Bill

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Hi Bill, not sure if yours is same set up on Autotrail as mine, mine has an inline filter about 6" away from the sureflow pumps outlet. If the filter is blocked it would stop waterflow and the resistance to pumps flow would increase current drawn by pump and possibly cause the smoldering you mention. Just as it would if the pump was seized up. So long as you have water to the pump this could be a possible solution. The other is possibility of tank breather being blocked causing vacuum in tank. Remover water filler cap to to rule this out. Just a couple of possibles i would try myself, before removing pump to check if it was seized. Lance

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Strip the head apart and check the diaphram for blockage or damage and see if the motor turns the oscilating drive. You will need to get a service kit to effect repair and or new gaskets after dismantling. I would get a new pump, and a service kit, replace pump then service failed one as a spare if possible.

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Bill, not sure if yours is same set up on Autotrail as mine, mine has an inline filter about 6" away from the sureflow pumps outlet. If the filter is blocked it would stop waterflow and the resistance to pumps flow would increase current drawn by pump and possibly cause the smoldering you mention. Just as it would if the pump was seized up. So long as you have water to the pump this could be a possible solution. The other is possibility of tank breather being blocked causing vacuum in tank. Remover water filler cap to to rule this out. Just a couple of possibles i would try myself, before removing pump to check if it was seized. Lance

Hi Lance, many thanks for your advice and points mentioned above. There were a couple of occasions over the past week when the flow did actually stop, but after tapping the tank the flow started again. I did notice a loose spade connector which I took out and pushed back in again and it worked fine again for a while.
Will go outside now and check what you said about the inline filter.........will let you know how I get on.
Have already contacted our dealer to see if the pump is still under warranty........ha, ha!:LOL:

Thanks again for your advice, Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Service kits are so dear you'd best not bother.
What model pump is it? can you see the reference number.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Andy, service kits, dependent on model, are circa £20, compared to a new pump, what 4 times that or more. If you have a problem pump spending £20 to make it a serviceable spare is a good investment, in my opinion any way.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Andy, service kits, dependent on model, are circa £20, compared to a new pump, what 4 times that or more. If you have a problem pump spending £20 to make it a serviceable spare is a good investment, in my opinion any way.
That depends on what you call a service kit? you won't get much for £20 and it may not cover what is broken.
A complete new pump is £51 inc delivery. Have you got a link to these kits and their contents?

£38 just for the most likely part
Broken Link Removed

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just bought a new pump for £53. Couldn't find a local place that stocked the service kit. I personally would get a new pump and use the old one for spares.
The shurflo pumps are brilliant.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you need one urgently it might be worth phoning round a few local camp/caravan stores. I found 3 within 30 miles of me but I don't know where you are.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My emergency spares live under the bedroom floor I created
CA_02111415240613-L.jpg

Finished article
CA_09041416503509-XL.jpg

CA_09041416481291-XL.jpg

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks very much to you all for your replies and advice......have been out with torch and had a prowl about.
I have now made the following observations:-

There doesn't appear to be any blockage or airlock, as I have managed to get water through the taps. Having looked again at the pump and the spade connectors, I noticed that when I make a slight adjustment to the spade connections (ie. wiggling it up and down) very technical:D the pump bursts into life and water comes through the taps.
When I let the spade connection go, the pump is either very feeble, or it doesn't go at all.

I have noticed that if I leave the water pump on at the control unit, there is a slight whirring sound, as if there is coming escaping from the spade terminal. I initially thought that this was smoke, but now that I have put my finger over it, I think it could be steam because it was quite hot.

I am getting no smell of overheating (as I first thought), but when I hold the spade connection firmly and the water is running through the taps there is no visible sign of the steam/smoke at all.

Sorry if this sounds garbled, but it appears that the pump is working and sounded healthy enough. I am flummoxed as to what it could be.......I would appreciate any further help from you experts and techie guys.

Thanks again, all your input is much appreciated(y)

Bill

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Sounds like a poor connection inside perhaps corroded by water leaking into the motor (re steam)

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
If you need one urgently it might be worth phoning round a few local camp/caravan stores. I found 3 within 30 miles of me but I don't know where you are.

I phoned our dealer earlier today (Oaktree, Awsworth) and we are planning to stop by there on our way back home.
We need to see about a couple of "little things" when we are down this way.

Bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like a poor connection inside perhaps corroded by water leaking into the motor (re steam)
Agreed Andy.

Water could have leaked past the diaphram and got into the pressure switch block which contains a microswitch.
i was told by a very popular RV parts supplier the microswitch is not a service item and you have to buy the full switch housing......i say bo!!ox.

It went in the housing, it comes out the housing and sure enough its a bog standard microswitch minus the spring blade.
cure the leak, dry out the microswitch and one working pump.

One thing i would say....cut off the spade terminals and replace with new.

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I've just been back out and had another look......when the pump is running, the water is coming through, the pump sounds quite healthy, the water flow seems good (according to Margaret) and there is no sign of what I originally thought to be steam. When the taps are off and the pump is switched on at the control unit, I can hear what sounds like electrical "arcing" from the spade connection. This is followed by what I now believe to be "smouldering" and not steam after all. EDIT

It's difficult to get a real good look at it at the moment, hope this makes some sense.

I have switched off the pump at the control unit for safety.

Bill

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The wires join onto the motor brushes inside, if wiggling the connection helps then it is simply a bad connection inside.

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
The wires join onto the motor brushes inside, if wiggling the connection helps then it is simply a bad connection inside.

Wiggling certainly helped to kick it into life :D.......but when I'm not wiggling it, (the spade connector that is) it doesn't seem to do very much:laughing:

Bill

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks very much for the link Techno, I can't see the model number for ours, but I'm assuming it's about 7 years old now.

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back