driving license at 70... (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi, does any one know how long before my 70 th birthday i can apply to keep my full license. Birthday is at end of July...BUSBY.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
You will also need to send off for the D2 pack
If you intend retaining the C1 part then apply as soon as you can (90 days) do not wait for the form from DVLA before getting started.

You will also have to get hold of form D4 for your medical, you can download it from the gov.uk site. You will also need form D2 which you will have to ask them to send you.
I asked for the D2 pack to be sent to me thinking it would have the D4 in as well, it didn't. Whether this was an error I do not know.
Ezee

Last edited:

Sooty 10

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Nelson, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
c Class
Exp
Since 1999.
A friend of ours has just renewed his licence as he is approaching 70 and wanted to keep his C1. After having his medical it only took about a week before his licence was back. It was so fast that when the letter arrived from DVLA he thought he must have made a mistake and they wanted more information, but no it was his licence.

Keith (sooty)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I asked my GP about this and said I must do an exercise ECG before he will sign the forms, I cannot see this on any of the forms, anyone else had to do one. I had a blood clot about 25 years ago that was removed by an angioplasty and gives me no problems. I do not want to pay out £250 for a test I do not need just to drive a MH over 3500 easier to buy another lighter one???????????????

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Remember to scan a copy of your licence prior to sending it away. It has been mentioned on this Forum that DVLA have a habit of "losing" details of your entitlement.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My C1 expired beginning of November, I applied at beginning of August, 90 days early, and despite chasing am still waiting.
I have a covering letter from DVLA confirming ok to drive under sect 18.
The only problem is if you need to hire a vehicle you have no licence to show , so no hire :swear2:
A funster recently posted that his took 2 years :Eeek:

PS my GP just did BP and a listen to my chest and referred to my records for remaining info.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I asked my GP about this and said I must do an exercise ECG before he will sign the forms, I cannot see this on any of the forms, anyone else had to do one. I had a blood clot about 25 years ago that was removed by an angioplasty and gives me no problems. I do not want to pay out £250 for a test I do not need just to drive a MH over 3500 easier to buy another lighter one???????????????

@GWAYGWAY Yes it is on the medical d4 form as I just read it.
Says first, " has a "resting ecg" been done? then the next is " has an "exercise ecg" been done?
It is section 4f "cardiac investigations" & Q1 is resting & Q2 is about exercise ecg.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If they can get more money out of you they will.

OP
OP
B
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Your local HGV driving school will have a doctor that they recomend...BUSBY.

happypre65

Free Member
Nov 12, 2010
Funster No
Hi,Now i have my c1 after 5 months waiting,they are not fit for purp0se at DVLA ,maybe 25 phone calls etc,i did not see the bit about the ECG and after hearing nothing i phoned and lo and behold the next day i had a letter from them stating i had to go on a treadmill,this is free of charge at the hospital and dvla make the appointment,just be prepared as it is a test of 3 speeds on the treadmill and is hard when you reach 70,this is of course is to check your heart, but £250 is too much money if you look on line you will find companys that will do the medical for you cheaper as they do it for hgv drivers,but all this was could have been avoided if when in july i sent the medical and forms to DVLA they had looked at them i would have known 4 months earlier that i had not had the ECG but as they had not even looked at my paperwork since i sent it it was only my phone calls that they then looked and sent me the letter about having a ECG,so look very carefully at the papePS also do not send of to early, as if it is over six months away they will ask you to do it all again regards H

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Joan and myself have both gone through the medicals. We did not have to have an ECG either "resting ecg" or "exercise ecg" The doctor simply answered NO to "Is there a history of, or evidence of, coronary artery disease? on the form.

If a heart condition is suspected then the ECG would be required.

Some of the professional HGV medical firms turn clients over every 10 minutes so they are not doing ECGs. We were discussing this with an HGV driver while our vehicle was in at the Merc main dealer. Cost £51

We paid £100 to our doctor for the medical it took an hour. The problem is many GPs do not come across these forms very often and are unsure how to fill them in. After my medical I checked the form and had to return to the doctor because he had missed ticking a box.

Form D4 is here Broken Link Removed

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
The last time I took a medical for my class 1 licence I was in and out in 15 minutes, just blood pressure checked and eyesight in both eyes, a couple of questions and I was on my way, don't know how much it cost as the firm paid, in the days when I arranged it and paid for it myself at around £120 every doctor did it differently, only the blood pressure and eyes were the same, some doctors checked movement in your joints, some checked periferal vision, one doctors eye test was to look out of the surgery window and read a car number plate which was dead easy as it was my car.
Don

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Remember to scan a copy of your licence prior to sending it away. It has been mentioned on this Forum that DVLA have a habit of "losing" details of your entitlement.

OR giving the license holder more categories than they are entitled too:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back