LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sent off the form asking to a. Register me as new owner and b. Change category to motor caravan.
Sent at least 10 photos showing graphics, side windows, loo/shower, hob and sink, seating/bed.

Document arrived today and still says panel van. Still says 3 seats as well even though this had been changed to 2.

Anyone know what I do now? Thanks in advance.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
They can't seem to cope with two changes at the same time. Try again to get them to register it as a motorcaravan (hate that description but that is what it is). If no joy ask why and then appeal if necessary - then involve your MP.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Pauline you have to send pics of it as a van and pics of the finished conversion -both sets of pics showing the number plates and fill in the change of use bit on the V5 I usually send 4 pics of it as a van and 4 as finished camper IE 2 a4 with 4 pics on each -- You have all the pics -if unsure which to print and send let me know and I will send them to you (y)
terry

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi Pauline you have to send pics of it as a van and pics of the finished conversion -both sets of pics showing the number plates and fill in the change of use bit on the V5 I usually send 4 pics of it as a van and 4 as finished camper IE 2 a4 with 4 pics on each -- You have all the pics -if unsure which to print and send let me know and I will send them to you (y)
terry

Thanks Terry. Maybe this is where I went wrong.
I re print before and after photos and send it all back again, with a letter, just to make sure?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Department for Transport Stats, will when conversion is accepted at DVLA, still hold it as a Category N not Category M1 vehicle, although the logbook V5 will say "Motor Caravan"

They do not change the category only the definition for pre registered vans. They still hold the original category ie N1 or N2 for the lifetime of the vehicle. There are some on record that have no category listed but are still defined as Motor Caravans "Missing" and some with obviously wrong categories that are listed as "other". It would appear they do not try to correct their mistakes.

Quarter 2014 q3
Missing 191,771
M1 11,827
N1 20,870
N2 2,039
Other 149
Licenced 226,656
SORN 30,559
Total 257,215

There were 9,160 new Motor Caravans registered between January 1st and 30th November 2014 .

Info from DfT Stats by email yesterday.

So if your van conversion was registered before conversion it is still a N1 (goods vehicle) category although the V5 says Motor Caravan. Only new unregistered conversions get the M1 category

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks Terry. Maybe this is where I went wrong.
I re print before and after photos and send it all back again, with a letter, just to make sure?
Yes Pauline that should be good --take one from the front drivers side showing the number plate and side windows -one from back with number plate and one door open -then one with both doors open and another from the side door looking back and perhaps another from front passenger door showing seats --I sent you pics of the van so pick out similar shots or the outside IE one from front rear and side -send along with a covering letter asking to change of use to Motor caravan -that should be it (y)
Send me a copy of the pics showing front seats please ;)
terry
They probably never noticed the change of use bit on the V5 ---I got a chq back yesterday for the tax so at least they have got their act together on that bit :)
terry

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks, Terry. They tried to get me to pay tax for December too when I knew you'd get charged the full month. I taxed it on Jan 1st.

I'll have to hope the sun shines tomorrow and I'll redo the photos.

Thanks John and Joan---DVLA haven't changed anything and agreement with my insurance company is it'll say Motorcaravan on the registration doc. They hadn't even changed the number of seats even though this was written in clearly.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hi Pauline send them these for before pics
terry
P1030271.JPG
P1030272.JPG
P1030275.JPG

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
p1030285-jpg.50252
a

and this as the front/side after then it's down to you as I have no more pics

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks you're a star, Terry.just going to take some of front seats etc...

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I would expect that DVLA will want to see that the exact definition of a motor caravan are met by photo evidence. It used to be the case that you could be called in to a local office for a examination of the vehicle by an vehicle inspector before it was reclassified. Local offices have now been closed down.

The exact definition of a "motor caravan"
. A vehicle must, be constructed to include living accommodation which contains seats and table, sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats, cooking facilities, and storage facilities. These must be fixed to the structure of the vehicle.

What makes a 'Motor Caravan'?

For a vehicle to qualify as a 'Motor Caravan' in the UK in the eyes of the DVLA the following permanent fixtures must be present:
◾Sleeping Accommodation
◾There must be a bed with a minimum length of 6ft or 180cms
◾The bed must be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation area
◾The bed must be permanent or converted from seats (the bed can fold away during the day)
◾The bed fixtures must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side walls, unless it is over the drivers cab compartment.

◾Door
◾There must be a horizontal sliding door or an outward opening rear or side door.

◾Seats and Tables
◾There must be a seating area for diners to sit around
◾The table can be fixed or detachable
◾The table must mount directly to the vehicle floor or side walls
◾The table mounting must be secured as a permanent feature, either bolted screwed or welded. The table itself can be detachable.
◾Seats must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and/or side walls
◾The seats must be secured as a permanent fixture, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
◾Permanently secured seating must be available for use at a table

◾Storage
◾The vehicle must have at least one cupboard, locker or wardrobe
◾The cupboard must be an integral part of the living accommodation area
◾The cupboard must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
◾The cupboard must be secured directly to the vehicle floor and / or side walls

◾Cooking
◾The vehicle must have cooking facilities powered by fixed gas, electric hob or microwave oven
◾The cooking facilities must be secured directly to the vehicle floor or side wall
◾The cooking facilities must be a permanent feature, either bolted, riveted, screwed or welded
◾Gas and electric hobs must have a minimum or 2 cooking rings. Microwave ovens must have a power source (don't just fit one that can't be used)
◾Gas cooking facilities with remote fuel supplies must have the gas supply pipe permanently secured to the vehicle structure

◾Outside
◾The vehicle must have at least one side window
◾New! Since 2011 the DVLA are now asking that the vehicle look like a motor caravan from the outside. This is a reasonableness test. If it looks like a motor Caravan to a reasonable person or a Police officer, when on the road, then it can be registered as such.

◾Water Container
Note: DVLA do not state any requirements regarding water storage. However, most insurance companies state that the water tank should be on-board, or under the chassis. However, some insurance companies are happy with an external water container that can be moved, such as those used with a caravan. This type of vehicle would not be allowed to use some Aire facilities.
◾The vehicle must have an onboard or external (e,g, under the chassis) waste water container, the water container to hold 6 gallons/27 litres
◾The vehicle should have similar Fresh water storage.

This is to me a failing of the EU/DVLA definition that waste and fresh water storage provision is not specified.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I would expect that DVLA will want to see that the exact definition of a motor caravan are met by photo evidence. It used to be the case that you could be called in to a local office for a examination of the vehicle by an vehicle inspector before it was reclassified. Local offices have now been closed down.

The exact definition of a "motor caravan"
. A vehicle must, be constructed to include living accommodation which contains seats and table, sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats, cooking facilities, and storage facilities. These must be fixed to the structure of the vehicle.

On board water storage is required by some insurance companies though not by DVLA.

This is to me a failing of the definition that waste and fresh water storage provision is not specified.
I'd sent them pics of everything you've listed ---short of having a meal cooking on the hob, washing up in the sink or someone in the shower I couldn't think of anything else to show them. I did think had it landed with a junior who didn't know what to do so just changed the name and thought if I sent it back it'd just land on someone else's desk!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I see only one reason for them not changing it.

As said, either overlooked or they will deal with one item at a time.

Try resending.

If it comes back uncorrected then there's obviously a problem with the application.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Pauline I have never had a problem with just sending pics as stated in the above posts (y) A very simple covering letter stating that it has been converted to a Motor Caravan and please see attached pics usually does the trick -
no need to bother changing or adding stuff about only two seats instead of 3 it only complicates matters:) as they don't seem to be able to do more than one thing at a time ;)Your van complies with all of the above (John & Joan list) and as such you should have no trouble re registering it (y)
terry

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I think I have been very lucky. Over the last year I have sent DVLA three different changes from van to motor home and had no problems. This was for three separate vans. I alway send an accompanying letter just in case they are on automatic pilot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back