aldi battery charger (1 Viewer)

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Not sure if this has been posted before? just come back from aldi shopping picked up this little computerised charger Link Removed i've allredy got one built in ;but don't think it has a cut off to prvent overcharging.

Regards

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Sinbad it is a 3 stage charger so it will go into a top up mode.It will not harm your battery to leave it on permanently :thumb: may even do it good :thumb::ROFLMAO: Very good for the money :thumb:
terry

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Got one, does what it says on the tin.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
Note, it's maximum battery charging capacity is 120 amp hour (at 3.4 amps per hour). So that's 1 leisure battery per charger.
For multiple battery charging you need something like this
XS 25000 - 12v Battery Charger & Conditioner

Link Removed
Manufacturer: CTEK
Product Code: MXS25000
Packed Weight: 2.43kg
Price (inc VAT): £195.70

For Large Batteries & Banks of Batteries.
The CTEK XS25000 is a sophisticated 12v automatic charger and conditioner designed for maintaining large capacity batteries or banks of batteries. The XS25000 is highly recommended for use in motor-homes, boats and caravans.
Features:
  • Revives, charges & conditions virtually all 12v lead-acid & leisure batteries (inc GEL & AGM) up to 500Ah
  • No need to disconnect the battery terminals
  • Unique 12v supply feature - replaces battery power
  • Charges batteries up to 500Ah & conditions larger batteries up to 500Ah
  • Fully automatic - switches to conditioning mode after the initial charge
  • Can be left connected for months - ideal for occasional-use vehicles
  • Simple 'plug n play' operation - no settings to make
  • Compact rugged design - water splash resistant and dust-proof
  • 2 year warranty
In standard operation, the XS25000 constantly monitors the battery after it has been initially charged and only 'trickle charges' the battery when the voltage drops below 95%. This eliminates the danger of overcharging and allows the XS25000 to be safely connected for months at a time.
The XS25000 is a rapid charger and will charge a similar sized battery in less than a third of the time compared to the XS7000.
The 12v supply feature has a variety of uses such as emergency power or to replace a vehicles battery thereby avoiding the loss of security codes or ECU settings. This feature may also be used for 'float maintenance' charging to maximise battery performance.
The XS25000 is perfect for use on boats, caravans and motor-homes that have multiple batteries in use together. It can be left connected to a battery bank and will automatically 'top up' the charge whenever power is not being drawn by appliances.
Technical Specification:

• Input Voltage: 170 - 260VAC, 50 - 60Hz
  • Output Voltage: 12V nominal
  • Charging Voltage: 14.4V (standard) or 16.0V (recovery mode)
  • Output Current: 25A max
  • Min / Max Battery Size: 50Ah - 500Ah (charging) & 500Ah (conditioning)
  • Dimensions: 235 x 130 x 65mm (L x W x H)
  • Casing: IP44 compliant (outdoor use)

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Note, it's maximum battery charging capacity is 120 amp hour (at 3.4 amps per hour). So that's 1 leisure battery per charger.

These little chargers are ideal for keeping the battery(s) in 'condition' while in storage but too small for everyday use in the van..

Exceeding the load by having two or more batteries won't do it any harm, just take longer to reach full charge..

If you want a proper four stage charger you will need to spend a lot more .. but it would be a waste of money if you spend most of your time on ehu .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: 125 amp and 3.8 but who cares :ROFLMAO: it handles 2 x 110 amp hr battery's but they probably never get below 80 amp hrs :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry
does that mean only 60 amps ????

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Well so so so good battery now topped up and in maintenace mode, it'll do for my situ and the price is a giveaway.

If you are a fulltimer with probably a battery bank, this item would not be sufficient as the current drain would be more than this charger could suopply maybe.

My boat had a 4x 110AH battery bank, when not on hookup the engine provided enough power to charge them up, This was achieved using an alternator controller split charge and battery management system.

Do RVs have alternator controllers fitted?
Regards

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If left permanently connected to the battery, but not plugged into the mains does the 3 stage charger draw any current from the battery, For LED's, transformer etc, anyone measured it?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If left permanently connected to the battery, but not plugged into the mains does the 3 stage charger draw any current from the battery, For LED's, transformer etc, anyone measured it?
Not measured it but there are no lights lit,so it must be v/low if any ? The electronics may stop any discharge ??
DJP we are talking £12 not £195 :ROFLMAO:completely different chargers at completely different prices doing a different job :thumb:

terry

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
DJP we are talking £12 not £195 :ROFLMAO:completely different chargers at completely different prices doing a different job :thumb:

terry[/quote]
The point I was trying to make is that people should not assume this little charger will keep more than one battery in top charge. It will charge one battery fully and extremely slowly, that's it. Unless you are prepared to spend a large amount of money (£195) to keep all your batteries in tip top condition, why waste £24.99 (not £12) on another charger when most vans have got a far superior charger built in?

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
The point I was trying to make is that people should not assume this little charger will keep more than one battery in top charge. It will charge one battery fully and extremely slowly, that's it. Unless you are prepared to spend a large amount of money (£195) to keep all your batteries in tip top condition, why waste £24.99 (not £12) on another charger when most vans have got a far superior charger built in?[/quote]

This little charger as you say not designed to charge several batteries ;however i have connected two batteries and both were fully charged and in maintenace mode within 6 hours .

I do have a built in charger, and my van is not that old , does do the job, but doesn't have the 3 stage/ maintenance as the adi one has.

Anyway after testing this little charger i am very impressed by its performance, you can't go rong for £12 (€24)

regards Roy

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

terry
The point I was trying to make is that people should not assume this little charger will keep more than one battery in top charge. It will charge one battery fully and extremely slowly, that's it. Unless you are prepared to spend a large amount of money (£195) to keep all your batteries in tip top condition, why waste £24.99 (not £12) on another charger when most vans have got a far superior charger built in?[/QUOTE]

£12.59 :ROFLMAO: not £24.99 at that price I will flog you one :thumb::ROFLMAO:
Yes a lot of people will have far superior chargers in there vans but not all ,hence the if anyone's interested bit ::bigsmile:
In my mind 3.8 amp will keep the battery topped up fine.:thumb: and works on my van battery plugged in permanently without the need to undo the battery.The CBE--CB-513 charger in the back is a lot better 22 amp hr charger but as you say a lot more :ROFLMAO: could probably buy 10 Aldi ones,:ROFLMAO: all linked together would give me 38 amps :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Correct me if I am wrong but if I have a 110 amphr battery and it drops to 55 amps am I only using 55 amps of the chargers 125 amp capacity ???
terry

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I've just bought one of these. What a bargain. I bought it primarily to charge the scooter battery over the winter when it is not used much. It is ideal for that as it has a motorbike setting as well as the main setting for larger batteries. It also has a cold weather setting I assume it pushes out a bit more oomph ( that's a technical term ).

I have also just bought a new 110 amp leisure battery, which I have not yet fitted in the van, so I used this to top it up, only took about an hour, then I left it on maintenance charge for a few hours and the battery is well up. Still over 12.7v after 24 hours rest.

Phil.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years

terry
The point I was trying to make is that people should not assume this little charger will keep more than one battery in top charge. It will charge one battery fully and extremely slowly, that's it. Unless you are prepared to spend a large amount of money (£195) to keep all your batteries in tip top condition, why waste £24.99 (not £12) on another charger when most vans have got a far superior charger built in?[/quote]

Not all built in chargers keep the vehicle battery topped up. These little units sound a great bargain and most are probably on flea bay now selling for a good profit but still a bargain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back