Hymer S550 water heater (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2015
Les Cabannes / France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
We have had our first MH for two months now, we are up in the Pyrennes and the Hymer S550 is outside in the snow while we plan our first trip to somewhere warmer.

A friend has said that the hot water tank should have a mechanism to auto empty when the temp gets close to zero. Does anyone know if the Hymer will do this or have we already made our first big mistake

Tony

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Is it a newish van with a Truma boiler? If so then yes it will. It's a black/blue valve on ours and dumps about 4 deg. To reset you have to push a button in and turn the top of the valve when the ambient isabove the tripping point. Not sure about Alde systems

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
what age and model is the water heater some have it and some do not. If the hot water is permanently on then no need to dump. If there is heating in the van it is probably ok but if allowed to freeze it could be an expensive mistake.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cathy&Tony
Jan 5, 2015
Les Cabannes / France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Oh dear, the vehicle is 20 years old - but in excellent condition generally.

but the heating is not currently on.

to be honest I don't even know where the boiler is.

There is a gas powered general heater in front of a cupboard and I would guess the boiler which is dual fuel is located somewhere behind the heater in the bottom of the cupboard

Upvote 0

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i have a 1996 b 534 which if i remember rightly, is the same rear u lounge layout as yours but on a fiat instead of a merc chassis. the boiler on mine is located in the bottom of the wardrobe next to the bathroom. to access mine you lift up the bottom panel and you can then see the red temperature dump valve .if its in the down position then it has done its job and drained the boiler . hope this is of help garry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cathy&Tony
Jan 5, 2015
Les Cabannes / France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
OK, I've got to the boiler, stainless steel unit in a black plastic enclosure model Truma BN10
Also found a B10 (not BN10) Australian manual, everything points to a relief valve somewhere but I can't locate it
two reinforced water pipes lower one white upper one red
the boiler is mounted about 10 cms above the vehicle floor probably to accommodate the position of the external flue/air inlet
can't think the valve is under the boiler - resetting would be a major task.

anyone any ideas

thanks

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
image.jpg
Don't know if this is of any help but this is a picture of the boiler in our year 2ooo Hymer. Truma Boiler, the photo shows a red button/valve this is what you need to reset if yours is the same.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cathy&Tony
Jan 5, 2015
Les Cabannes / France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
nothing like a drain cock, button or valve near the boiler. Truma say the the frost protection dump valve is at the discretion of the installer and could be one of many types. I know where the drain down valve is for the whole water system and I wonder if my particular MH has no boiler frost protection and that when minus temps are due I have to drain down all the water. That might make my skiing trips a little difficult though.

Any thoughts, musings or observations would be most welcome.

Tony

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Cath & Tony,

Have a look along the hot water pipe work from the boiler, looking for either a yellow toggle valve, a red toggle valve, or a round white nylon thumbscrew. Also, if you have more than one pipe exiting the underside of the outer floor, then that's a good indication that there is a separate drain valve somewhere close by, but inside.

If in a ski resort, surely you would have your heating on 24/7, and therefore no need to drain down? Just a thought, ie, nice and cosy with instant hot water. ;)

Good luck,

Jock.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cathy&Tony
Jan 5, 2015
Les Cabannes / France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
I have been under the vehicle and the boiler sits directly above the rear leaf-spring support frame and I can't see or feel any pipe outlet

One pipe from the boiler does go directly through the floor and I am guessing that this is an expansion overflow pipe, however as the floor is double skinned it could come out anywhere.

I am getting a manual from Hymer.

A dealer has told me that these boilers only had the relief valve fitted post 1995 so I guess I don't have one. Retrofitting should be an option.

Many thanks for everyone who chipped in with advice

Much appreciated

Tony

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
cathy&Tony My 1995 Hymer 534 had dump valve but kept opening as faulty, took this out, have been on Ski trips in van last 5 years and never had no probs -4 some nights and no electric hook up, however ensure the van is warm inside. Also depending on how high up you go some hardened ski funsters at VT will be able to adsvise better look at the ski forum for more info.
Pipes from my boiler went into a plastic manifold with white plastic drain down screw valve, this is where my dump valve was located at base of wardrobe. As pointed out you may not have one.;)

Upvote 0

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
In our old 1992 Hymer camp the dump valve was on the floor below the sink, it was either a blue or red toggle type.
The boiler was in the bottom of the wardrobe.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I suspect some posters may have missed part of the point of the question. Either that or I've misread it.

Tony is not holidaying in the mountains in the M/H - he lives there in his house & the M/H is parked up outside. That's why it's not all warn & toasty inside the M/H 24/7.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I suspect some posters may have missed part of the point of the question. Either that or I've misread it.

Tony is not holidaying in the mountains in the M/H - he lives there in his house & the M/H is parked up outside. That's why it's not all warn & toasty inside the M/H 24/7.

we are up in the Pyrennes and the Hymer S550 is outside in the snow while we plan our first trip to somewhere warmer.
You might be right Simon, but then again, Cathy & Tony could have been at a ski resort at the time of posting. We wouldn't have known either way from the orginal post, ;) ....................but I know what you mean. :)

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back