LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We are thinking of visiting the Kent area for one of our trips this year, The last time I drove around London it was the old north circular road and the Dartford crossing was just the tunnel :rolleyes: The quickest way for us to Kent from "up north" is to join the M25 from the M11 then clockwise to the A2, what is your opinion of the best time to travel the M25 or is one time as good or bad as any other. Any advice appreciated.

John

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The m25 can be snarled up at any time of day. However it's best to avoid early mornings and late afternoons.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Go after 2200 and before 0600 and you won't have to pay a toll with no holds ups a bonus

does the toll free period still apply now it is automated?

I had presumed that had gone

But just to avoid any risk of over charging, (we have an 'over weight' MH) my vote goes for round the bottom, pay a few more miles worth of diesel, but no toll and no risk of hold up, that part of the M25 always seemed to be the worst before we started going round the bottom

as for timing, you takes your choice, whenever can be bad but as RC avoid the obvious

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We use the tunnel regular and found Sunday late afternoon is always busy , guess it's people heading home after the weekend . After Xmas it was free flow South , but still had to stop at the barriers going north.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
is there any time that's good to go any where near London or the m 25 but it's a necessary evil
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Go after 2200 and before 0600 and you won't have to pay a toll with no holds ups a bonus
I didn't realise that about the tolls, that's definitely a possible plan thanks.

does the toll free period still apply now it is automated?

I had presumed that had gone

But just to avoid any risk of over charging, (we have an 'over weight' MH) my vote goes for round the bottom, pay a few more miles worth of diesel, but no toll and no risk of hold up, that part of the M25 always seemed to be the worst before we started going round the bottom

as for timing, you takes your choice, whenever can be bad but as RC avoid the obvious
So that would be anti-clockwise from the M1, I will work out the extra milage and give it some thought, thanks

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I didn't realise that about the tolls, that's definitely a possible plan thanks.

So that would be anti-clockwise from the M1, I will work out the extra milage and give it some thought, thanks

We often go down the M42 / M40 option, the biggest problem we find is the M40 - M4 junction, once past that all seems OK (ish)

I forgot to ask, why Kent? stay north remove the problem (y)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We have travelled at about midnight, to get to the Newby show and others from the A12, apart from the odd road works its fine.

Ian

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Now the southbound bridge has had the toll barriers removed it generally flows well. I use it most weeks and have not been held up at all. Not the same northbound at present but the roadworks are underway and due to finish in March, hopefully North will then be the same as South.
As to best times, Friday morning is always good, generally avoid peak rush hour times, Monday mornings, Friday evenings and Bank holidays.
Generally just go for it and enjoy the trip!

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We often go down the M42 / M40 option, the biggest problem we find is the M40 - M4 junction, once past that all seems OK (ish)

I forgot to ask, why Kent? stay north remove the problem (y)
I have a couple of trips sketched out for this year, one of which is up to Durness thanks to your great thread, have been up to Sandwood Bay but didn't do the north coast. Last visit to Kent was in the 60's in a VW camper fancied revisiting some places (not always a good idea):unsure:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Living just inside the M25 Junc 19 and using it often I've not managed to predict it myself yet. Sometimes it is the best road in the world then it transforms to the biggest car park in the world. Just sit back and enjoy the surroundings it's good therapy. :)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
when its running its great but like any motorway once it stops your stuck but while everyone else is stuck we can just put the kettle on
avoid rush hours and saturday sunday afternoons and you should be fine

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have a couple of trips sketched out for this year, one of which is up to Durness thanks to your great thread, have been up to Sandwood Bay but didn't do the north coast. Last visit to Kent was in the 60's in a VW camper fancied revisiting some places (not always a good idea):unsure:
Kent is still as nice, there's only a couple of places to steer clear of! Best time to travel would be to hit Dartford after 2200 travelling down M11, M25 then M20 for South Kent or A2 towards Canterbury for North and East Kent.
If you need any recommended visits in Kent, I know it quite well!
Allan

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I always try and hit M25 VERY early mornings...........as others have already said, tunnel/bridge crossing is free, and the level of traffic is reduced to mainly lorries...........certainly the 'two junction racers', won't be about............
Might well be worth getting down towards M11 during day, and parking up etc.....then going for it.

Kent is almost as nice as Sussex :whistle::)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I would aim to get onto it about 10.30 11 am. Normally everyone who us going to work has got there. Good luck.

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
We are thinking of visiting the Kent area for one of our trips this year, The last time I drove around London it was the old north circular road and the Dartford crossing was just the tunnel :rolleyes: The quickest way for us to Kent from "up north" is to join the M25 from the M11 then clockwise to the A2, what is your opinion of the best time to travel the M25 or is one time as good or bad as any other. Any advice appreciated.

John
About this time

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

If you set up an account for the tolls it's only £1.67 per crossing so not really worth worrying about.

From a random point in Durham to go the other way round via the M1 is about 44 miles longer. Also the western section from the M1 round to the M3 can be the worst bit of all if you catch it at the wrong time.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
what is the cost to use the Dartford crossing?
With a motorhome it's £2.50 unless you have an account then it's £1.63
Is there a minimum amount to open an account and does it last until used or run out after a certain time (like the credit on some mobile phones for instance)?

If we use it at all we wouldn't normally use the Dartford Crossing more than once in each direction in a given year. An account would be more convenient than having to mess about paying by phone but would not be practical if the credit did not last.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is there a minimum amount to open an account and does it last until used or run out after a certain time (like the credit on some mobile phones for instance)?

If we use it at all we wouldn't normally use the Dartford Crossing more than once in each direction in a given year. An account would be more convenient than having to mess about paying by phone but would not be practical if the credit did not last.

You have to add a minimum of £10 to your account and I can't find anything in the T&Cs that suggests that the credit runs out only that if the account is not used for a year they may close it but that isn't really the same thing.

http://assets.highways.gov.uk/speci...lpha/Dart Charge Consumer TC - alpha site.pdf

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back