Could cycling slow the ageing process? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Possibly...

728-7651_PI_TPS1583039

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We’re not saying we’re reversing ageing, but that cycling seems to optimise the ageing process.

I would agree with that statement..

but think that any physical exercise that gives the cardiovascular system a good work out on a regular basis will do the same..

eg brisk walking, jogging, swimming etc

but cycling is probably the most enjoyable.. and doesn't damage knee and or hip joints like jogging can.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Yes, Jim is right, and those of us with osteosporosis starting in hips can help keep it at bay apparently by cycling as no weight on hips as jogging does and can damage it.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
what I forgot to mention in original post is the way riding helps balance coordination by actively improving those areas of the brain. I suffer from a certain serious balance disorder and it does help. As you get older balance does suffer..some more then other. Also as said above cycling a low impact exercise compared to jogging etc....so with knee/joint or arthritic problems a good choice.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
what I forgot to mention in original post is the way riding helps balance coordination by actively improving those areas of the brain. I suffer from a certain serious balance disorder and it does help. As you get older balance does suffer..some more then other. Also as said above cycling a low impact exercise compared to jogging etc....so with knee/joint or arthritic problems a good choice.
At Lincoln meet , @Jaws had a bike which he had 'doctored'.... if you turned the handle left it went right and vice versa. It sounds simple to get round the brain co-ordination but it wasn't... none of us could do it. I ended up on my bottom.. :( but at least I tried and many wouldn't.

Would love to try again. :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't know if it helps at all ... I suffered for about thirty years quite seriously with a sort of Menieres Disease and Labrynthitus... they were always sending me for brain scans to make sure no tumours etc... Then about ten years ago I was at hospital and a young girl physiotherapist put me through Hell bringing on attacks .. I had to go back every week for a couple of months. . . touch wood I havn't had a serious attack since.

I am not asking you what your balance problem is, but just saying keep options open and look at NEW treatments as sometimes something comes up which may be of help to you.... Good luck. It can be horrible and it does debilitate you in more ways than people realise. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
At Lincoln meet , @Jaws had a bike which he had 'doctored'.... if you turned the handle left it went right and vice versa. It sounds simple to get round the brain co-ordination but it wasn't... none of us could do it. I ended up on my bottom.. :( but at least I tried and many wouldn't.

Would love to try again. :)
If you ever do get the offer to try it again, cross your arms, so you grab the left hand grip with your right hand and vice-versa with the other. Still not easy but you should get the hang of it after a couple of goes. An equally disorientating thing is to wear a pair of headphones and then speak into a microphone but the electronics in the system delays your voice by a fraction of a second. It is almost impossible to speak wearing one of these things - even when sober! It is like being permanently interrupted.*

As for cycling, I think it is well established that statically regular cyclists live two or three years longer than non-cyclists, but I had always put that down to just being fitter.

*At which point I could say it is like being at home, but won't!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Broken Link Removed

I touched on this the other day in my new bike thread ..here is where info came from
I cycled 25 hilly miles every day for 20+ years and was as fit as the butchers dog. It takes a long time for this level of fitness to disappear. I am now cycling again and still feel reasonably fit even with a few stone extra to carry.
Only problem as you get older is coming off, it never used to bother me I could always do a parachute roll get up brush myself down and back on the bike. Not sure if I am still this flexible so don't take as many risks.:)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Don't know whether it slows down ageing per se but, after having both knees replaced, (in one operation):Eeek:, Mrs Maison took up cycling again.

She is definitely a fair weather cyclist, mainly in France during the summer, but can comfortably do a 24 mile round trip.

Her surgeon encouraged her to get back on the bike asap. Our friend's surgeon told him not to cycle at all following his knee replacement!

And they say "always follow medical advice".

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
It put bloody years on me just reading " to cycle 100km (men) and 60km (women) in less than five and a half hours".:shake::tmi::whew:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you ever do get the offer to try it again, cross your arms, so you grab the left hand grip with your right hand and vice-versa with the other. Still not easy but you should get the hang of it after a couple of goes. An equally disorientating thing is to wear a pair of headphones and then speak into a microphone but the electronics in the system delays your voice by a fraction of a second. It is almost impossible to speak wearing one of these things - even when sober! It is like being permanently interrupted.*

As for cycling, I think it is well established that statically regular cyclists live two or three years longer than non-cyclists, but I had always put that down to just being fitter.

*At which point I could say it is like being at home, but won't!

Hi DB

Does that mean that you rode it as I tried the crossed hand thing and still fell off.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Broken Link Removed

I touched on this the other day in my new bike thread ..here is where info came from
And of coarse another plus for the rest of us. Old guys wearing Lycra don't half improve your sense of humour, promoting increased exercise for the 'fall over laughing' gland. (y)

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
but cycling is probably the most enjoyable.. and doesn't damage knee and or hip joints like jogging can.

We are fairly new to cycling and wish we had discovered it sooner. Addicted to the 'Tour' no matter which 'Tour' it is. Altho' not quite 'Wiggle's' standard (in my dreams !), we try and enjoy the landscape and journey wherever we travel and more gentle on the joints that are not as good as they were ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back