Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Ok my tv in the motorhome has gone bang. I intend to fit a satellite dome soon so is it a good idea to buy a tv with built in satellite decoder ? Spend 50/50 time in uk and Europe .
Anyone who has one give me a review of pros and cons?

Thinking it will save space from having to have a separate box

Gary

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I have always had the Avtex TV's with built in Sat Decoder which are great, however I also have the 12v Sky decoders too so I can take my sky card with me. I can simply switch between either of them through a RF switch from maplins so I have best of both worlds but in answer to your question, I guess the pro's are not having to buy a seperate decoder and fitting it etc, but the only con would be if the inbuilt decoder failed but to be honest Avtex have a great customer service dept and their TV' are great quality, can't say about other cheaper makes though.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Many thanks. I'm thinking of getting the cello traveller tv. I see your point about the decoder failing , maybe ill carry a cheap decoder too as a just in case. Many years ago I used to own a 12 v pace decoder but foolishly sold it when I sold our first motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Last year I bought the Cello Traveller. Works on 12v. Beware if you order one as when you think it's cheaper it is because FREESAT is not included and will only have FREEVIEW. Read the advert. fully if you choose to buy. Mine also has a built in DVD player.
Here is an overview

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Any experience of what film file types it accepts from the USB ?. Ie avi etc. my current tv only accepts mpeg2 I think it was and it was a right time consuming pain to convert everything

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Any experience of what film file types it accepts from the USB ?. Ie avi etc. my current tv only accepts mpeg2 I think it was and it was a right time consuming pain to convert everything

May be a bit late now BUT.. If you just change the file tag type ie from .avi to .mpeg it works !!!! Found out while messing and then got a free program on internet. Changed all my 500gb drive in about 3o seconds..

Gazza...
Buying a TV with a built in satellite receiver and then carrying a spare seperate receiver "just in case" seems a bit pointless.. :)

Good point about Freesat vs Free to air...
Either will do the job you need, just depends if you like a TV guide in a bit more sensible order for UK channels..

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
We have an Alphatronics R19 with built in sat, DVB and DVD player runs 12v. IMO it works very well and relatively easy to use.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last year I bought the Cello Traveller. Works on 12v. Beware if you order one as when you think it's cheaper it is because FREESAT is not included and will only have FREEVIEW. Read the advert. fully if you choose to buy. Mine also has a built in DVD player.
Here is an overview

Broken Link Removed
We have a Cello 19" Traveller as well been pleased with like all small TV sound is poor I wired ours into the Motorhome sound system, the Traveller TV's have Freeview & FTA and a DVD player.

Freeview is for the terrestrial transmissions use receive via an aerial, nothing to do with Freesat.
Freesat is the UK digital satellite system, which has a 7 day EPG.
FTA Free to Air Satellite is the general sat system that can be tuned to most satellites does not have the 7 day EPG, only now & next program.

There are no TV's made with Freesat, all the TV's with a satellite tuner only have the FTA system, even the expensive Avtex ones only have FTA, if you want Freesat you will have to buy a separate digi box.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back