Cost of converting to dual fuel (1 Viewer)

Josephine

Free Member
Jan 15, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Baily approach autograph
Exp
We are thinking of converting our motorhome to dual fuel as we are going to be touring Europe.

Does anyone have any knowledge of costs, work and benefits

Thanks

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm no expert but don't think that is possible with diesel engines .... and also would make it unable to use the Channel Tunnel.

Edit: sorry I forgot to say :welc:

Edit 2; I'm assuming you mean converting the engine to run on dual fuel and not the heating.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Welcome! You've lost me...what fuels do you mean? Gas plus electric? If you have gas heating and considering gas/ electric. It's an expensive job and a waste of money, different if ordering a new van...

Fit refillable lpg tanks, that way heating economical to run on gas and fit for all year use. Just bring a small 230 v blow heater for back up...

Edit: looking at reply above seems like I've got wrong end of the stick :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am not sure about cost of conversion to duel fuel, but I have for the first time in my life started to run on petrol with LPG conversion. If You are doing big mileages then of course its worth while, but if not then it will take a long time before payback day. Am at the moment buying LPG in Spain at 59 cents per litre. At todays rate, thats 45 pence per litre.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Can't be done on a modern diesel!

They existed on older diesel engines once, running on both fuels at once, but it really was a waste of time and just an answer to a problem which didn't exist!

Your Bailey on a Fiat Ducato won't cost much to run with cheaper euro fuel!

Upvote 0

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
Assuming a petrol engine with fuel injection, then between £750-£2500 depending on the engine type, the quality of the kit & whether you install it yourself or have it done professionally (recommended) why the disparity? There are a number of kits out there & it's better to go with something like the Prinz system for reliability & service, you can do a short course to become an installer which could save you money if you plan to convert more vehicles in the future. I've run American V8s on the stuff for years & it has been very cost effective due to the high fuel consumption, but the more fuel efficient your vehicle, the longer it will take to pay for itself. There are kits available for diesels contrary to popular belief, but they inject LPG as a power adder, think Nitrous Oxide if you know what that does, it increases the power meaning that you should save fuel by needing less throttle opening in normal use, personally having worked on racing engines using Nitrous Oxide, I would give it a miss as the extra stresses on the engine will be beyond the limits it was designed for.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi as already been said look around £800 to 1200 for a 4 cly petrol engine and close to 2k for a v8 -
They added gas in small quantities injected into big diesels about 15 to 20% but only megga miles trucks etc made this economical to do so it was dropped on costs and never really took off - - Watch out for valves burning out meaning new cly heads but that takes around 80k miles so it should not affect a M/H much -A few yrs back we had lots of taxis running LPG and my mate made a small fortune changing them over to diesel engines --EVEN THE BIG BOYS LIKE FORD AND VOLVO etc soon dropped duel fuel /LPG AND PETROL ENGINES PRETTY QUICK :D
terry
One for you to watch out for Dave :D I must admit it feels great filling a big v8 up with gas instead of petrol ;)

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
How many miles do most motorhomes do over the years......don't see the point

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
How many miles do most motorhomes do over the years......don't see the point
The point of what? the fact that heads burn out ? or that some folk actually use their M/Hs or that it will take a lot of users say 12/15 yrs or longer before the heads/valves burn out -Just making people aware -personally I always just used my vehicles on gas and if I had coped for the head/s burning out I would have simply got it changed -never got caught out, but I don't know if that was down to me being lucky or as I like to think not buying a duffer (y):D
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back