MOT without catalytic converter in diesels (1 Viewer)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Just got back from having the MOT carried out. Passed no problem even though I had removed the catalytic converter. The guy noticed that I had removed it and clearly was aware that there have been some dispute over this subject with diesel vehicles. It appears that he got into a bit of a dispute with some commercial Ducato owners who like MH owners had been victims of thefts and replaced the Cat with exhaust tubing. Having failed a vehicle the appeal was followed up and the appeal team fully informed the test centre that as emissions are not checked there is no requirement for diesels to have a Cat only petrol vehicles.
Well any case the MOT centre were no problem

Good luck to others :Smile:but be prepared to stand your ground

In any case if anybody wants the MOT centre details drop me a line they are next to Southend airport

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The confusion is easy to understand

The tester who only reads in the manual what he thinks he needs will get it wrong

Section 7.1 item 3 reason for rejection A Catalytic Converter missing where one was fitted as standard
Results in an Incorrect Fail

Completely ignoring Note 3 will be the cause of this error

Note 3 to be read in conjunction with reason for rejection 3

On vehicles that qualify for a full Cat emissions test
Check for presence of a Catalytic Converter

Clearly this cant apply to diesels as they only need a smoke/visibility test even though that is done via an emissions testing device

So if your tester gets it wrong, offer ever so politely to show him in the manual where he went wong:Eeek:
IF YA DARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
For information and Geo will be well aware of this. As of Feb 2014 the above no longer applies and the missing cat will be a fail if it was fitted at time of manufacture.

*note previous post was April 2013

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
For information and Geo will be well aware of this. As of Feb 2014 the above no longer applies and the missing cat will be a fail if it was fitted at time of manufacture.

*note previous post was April 2013
Interesting. So how would they know if one was fitted at manufacture?? My BMW K1100 hasn't got a CAT, but the same model built two months later has. My Ducato hasn't got one, but some of the 2.5 turbo's have.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I imagine it would be "relatively" easy to encourage a piece of appropriately sized pipe through the middle of a X250 cat :whistle:
765332.gif

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Vin number
Right. So then the auto stats thing concerning a vehicle's VIN number, would automatically tell the tester that a CAT was fitted?? And likewise, refuse to allow the test to continue if the CAT was missing. Like, the machine would refuse to take a sample, or would it just be down to the fitter to be observant?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Nothing to do with emissions "visual inspection for the presence of"
An appropriate tool (must not cause damage) may also be applied to ascertain it is not an empty CAT like hollow.
Test would continue but fail.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Naturally the usual ploy to avoid is to refit a cat for the test.

EDIT 3 bolts 1 clamp 2 rubber hangers, new gasket.

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So in truth, you could replace the cat with pipe, weld a box stuffed with brillo pads over the section, stick the sensors into it, and you pass.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
So in truth, you could replace the cat with pipe, weld a box stuffed with brillo pads over the section, stick the sensors into it, and you pass.
No need, the Lambda sensor is in the pre Cat straight after the exhaust manifold. The main Cat is a free entity.
As for theft that is not a concern given how my van is used and stored.
The point is not to prevent theft but to unbridle the engine so it performs as it really should. A Cat on a diesel makes no difference to emissions.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No need, the Lambda sensor is in the pre Cat straight after the exhaust manifold. The main Cat is a free entity.
As for theft that is not a concern given how my van is used and stored.
The point is not to prevent theft but to unbridle the engine so it perfoms as it really should. A Cat on a diesel makes no difference to emissions.
Puzzled. So why the need for one??

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Isn't that exactly what a particulate filter is the same as required by LEZ for £2300 +VAT from approved companies.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Isn't that exactly what a particulate filter is the same as required by LEZ for £2300 +VAT from approved companies.
Particulate filter is much harder to overcome in presence and engine management. A good advert for buying older vehicles.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
When the time comes for a new exhaust I'll have a private word with a custom builder to sort my requiremnts

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A
Nothing to do with emissions "visual inspection for the presence of"
An appropriate tool (must not cause damage) may also be applied to ascertain it is not an empty CAT like hollow.
Test would continue but fail.
As in my last post Andy....the only requirement is the presence.
No other check is carried out for the MOT and the tester cannot remove or dismantle any part of the vehicle during the mot which he would need to do to insert a probe into the cat .

Last edited:
OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Noted that this post has come back up and reading through the past history I note I started this in April 2013 when the MH passed the MOT with the Cat removed, A follow up post stated 'that from Feb 2014 if a cat was originally on the vehicle and now was not it was a fail,. In April 2014 went for MOT as the norm and sailed through, (had forgotten about the comment mentioned),perhaps the tester back then didn't know about the rule changes. Has anybody out there post Feb 2014 been failed for removing the Cat.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A

As in my last post Andy....the only requirement is the presence.
No other check is carried out for the MOT and the tester cannot remove or dismantle any part of the vehicle during the mot which he would need to do to insert a probe into the cat .
I believed they are allowed to tap on it? as it will sound very different with guts removed. Is this not the case?

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Well all they will see is a straight bit of pipe going to the silencer, looks like I will have to clip the Cat back on for the morning in April to save any hassle

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Thats the one ~I just looked up, So just have to allow a bit of time on the day,

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
The Cat on my S40 1.9D failed last year as did both on my brother-in-laws Merc 2,2 cdi previously.
Subject to owners approval the garage we use will take down the faulty Cat, opens it where the cut won't be seen, removes the offending innards, welds it closed again and refits it.
They assured us that the job a Cat does is not checked during roadworthiness testing (MOT as you guys know it in the UK) and the 'empty' one will pass the visual inspection.
Both vehicles have gone through the test procedure without issue, mine once and the brother-in-laws three times since removal

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
It would appear i am shareing my,"Road space",with................ SINNERS !!!
Tea Bag.
PS. Now where's my 2lb lump hammer and drift ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had our mechanical service and MoT just under a fortnight ago. Our mechanic found that the front pipe of the exhaust has a small hole just at the rear flange end, put some cement on it and it passed its test but my next job was to get it booked in for a new front pipe.
The local Fiat commercial place told us there are two or three different exhaust patterns (2003 2.8JTD engine) so we had to take it up there first to check which one was needed. To our relief it was the cheaper one. The one with integral Cat is over £1000 :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back