is there an A class that is practical at 3500kg (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If I was to get my health situation sorted out I might like something bigger for more long term winter travel. While I love panel vans for speed of travel, touring and handling, plus ease of ownership, more winter space may be worth considering. I cant drive over 3500kg due to diabetes, but have noticed that hymer exsis and some new Carthago Chic C-Line models seem to be offered at 3500. Has anyone got one and how do they manage please...presuming they have weighed it :) are they usable at 3500?

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
My Hymer Exsis was only built between 2004 and 2006. It is stamped at 3500. It is 5.5 meters long and we absolutely love it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The Itineo A class comes in at 3500kgs with a 500kg payload . Agents are Wokingham Motorhomes .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The new crop of hymer A class vans claim a very much lower weight than previously. Might be worth a look though only a weigh bridge and a loaded van will give the answer. My Pilote was rated at 3500 but we uprated to 3850 following the addition of an awning, extra leisure battery, fixed gas system, etc, etc. Just about enough.

Claimed payloads are worth treating with utter contempt

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hymer B544 very practical very comfortable fantastic winterisation and no longer than a panel van.
Thats why its one of the most popular vans europe wide.
When we eventually down size thats what we're going for.(y)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
There are a number of practical vans around and most will suit if you are a site camper, however if you wild and need to carry a full tank of water you may struggle with some. Only a trip to a weighbridge will give you the answer. Don't trust manufacturers claimed figures and don't forget to include your weight, that of a partner and also of a dog if you have them.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I very much doubt the B544 is practical at 3500. plus prefer the new narrow models. Not many used seem to be about as yet anyway, prefer a nearly new...... The 6 metre HYMER EXSIS-I 414 and Carthago c-compactline I 138 fairly new models

Only speculating at the moment as it would be a year at the earliest. The other thing is if the wife would want to go back to a transverse bed (only way the weight has a chance of working me finks) She hated climbing over me, personally i enjoyed it!:)

need to be able to add, awning, 2nd battery etc..and carry e bikes or pointless. A search throws up these: Broken Link Removed

hymer better value as some around...could get one on the road here for approx 50K, but prefer the carthago:censored:

euro rate today 1.30!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Only speculating at the moment as it would be a year at the earliest. The other thing is if the wife would want to go back to a transverse bed (only way the weight has a chance of working me finks) She hated climbing over me, personally i enjoyed it!:)
If you went for the Hymer with a bed at both ends there wouldn't be any need for your wife to clamber over you ... she could be at one end and you at the other with your 'ladyboys'. :X3:

Just had a quick shuftie at the Hymer ... that bathroom sink is useless!

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ha ha ha...you can guess on what forum i wouldn't post this thread Mel!:)

probably will stick with panel vans as they work for us...just weighing up options, these lightweight, slimline A class relatively a new thing...

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
If I was to get my health situation sorted out I might like something bigger for more long term winter travel. While I love panel vans for speed of travel, touring and handling, plus ease of ownership, more winter space may be worth considering. I cant drive over 3500kg due to diabetes, but have noticed that hymer exsis and some new Carthago Chic C-Line models seem to be offered at 3500. Has anyone got one and how do they manage please...presuming they have weighed it :) are they usable at 3500?

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

I looked at one during the NEC show late last year and I have to say I was very impressed. It appears to be a quality build but then its not cheap either

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
... funny, I could swear I heard a certain 'somebody' say he would NEVER go back to a coachbuilt bodied one!!! :D ;)
I had to laugh when I saw that as well, but some of the compact A class are really worth a good look

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
My 2003 Rapido 925M is 5.99m and has only been weighed as part of the MOT braking test. :whistle:

It is plated at 3.5T and, with awning, 2 leisure batteries, bike rack (x4) and fully kitted inc some tinned food it weighs in at 2900kg (no-one inside it, no water/waste). Given advances in weight-reduced building techniques, and allowing for the 2.7l Merc engine being quite a heavy lump, I would answer YES to your original question - Gordon

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I had to laugh when I saw that as well, but some of the compact A class are really worth a good look

thank you..And why i joined fun.....for some unprejudiced understanding:D

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Somewhat surprised that the wife actually not against this idea... Had to finesse her first with a meal out and a few lubrications before I dared broch the subject!:)

While the cathargo appeals more, its 6.4 (same as my current van more or less) .the hymer comes in at 6 metres, something has to give and the 6.4 probably more practical in use. They both claim to have a mass in running order of around 2.8, so by the time you add extras, still should have a 500 kg payload which I'm used to managing with.

Anyways lots of ifs and buts on the health front, but it's nice to have something that can actually work to look forward to...who would ever have thought an A class feasible at 3500 :)

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
We have the Hymer exsis i578 and can recommend it. It is particularly warm and has a good payload.
Lenny and Brian on another forum both have similar Hymers, I think Lenny has a i698.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Other forum? There are actually other forums?:D

Brian is a mate actually, we were in Brighton for new year celebrations....didn't have time to meet up on this occasion:)

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have a B544 and can confirm that it really is an excellent vehicle in all respects. Had it new in 2007 and nothing has gone wrong with it at all, previous B584 exactly the same - no problems.

However, if you are looking at one get it weighed. With a 4.5 metre awning, second battery, satellite dish etc mine weighs in at 3340kgs which didn't give enough payload for all the stuff SWMBO takes with her so had to replace to 3850. If you travel light you might just get away with it.

Mike

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks Mike but I knew from previous research that a b class hymer not practical @ 3500. Only the new light, narrow vans have a chance of being in anyway practical for touring

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
found a french forum with Carthago section, quite a few owners on there. it seems the Hymer garage narrow and low so thats out of the question, the carthago can take a scooter which sounds more like it, as we carry 3 bikes. Will get to a show and do a proper comparison..probably Dusseldorf, have been 3 times before

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back