Anyone got an Oyster SatY sat/solar system? (1 Viewer)

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
As title, wondering if anyone has this system and if so what do you think?

My new MH has one already fitted and its an expensive piece of kit!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Is this one of them Solar Panels that follow the sun.. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Yes its a motorised sat dish with a solar panel on the back. Its a 60w panel but as it lifts up and directly follows the sun they reckon it provides 3 times the power of a flat mounted panel. Its an Oyster system, and will work with Sky freeview and freesat.

Broken Link Removed

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not really switched on, but I have Oyster Sat/TV and Internet..

How does the Solar follow the sun . ?? surely if it follows the sun you will lose Sat TV... ?

As said I know nowt..

OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Not really switched on, but I have Oyster Sat/TV and Internet..

How does the Solar follow the sun . ?? surely if it follows the sun you will lose Sat TV... ?

As said I know nowt..
LOL, It works in either mode not both at once. So if watching tv, no solar, but if not will follow the sun through the day to maximise the solar capture.

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
I was reading a Vicarious book re Motorhomes and they mention a solar panel system which tracks the sun, as you say it is worth X3 in a static panel in what it gets, expensive.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I think wayne wires has one.
Try sending him a pm.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Great, no issues, obviously when using as a satellite system, the solar will be facing North, so not working to all intents and purposes, but then again, I suppose that few people will sit in their motorhomes watching TV on a bright sunny day.

The reason that the solar array is more efficient is simply that it is perpendicular to the sun longer. In the middle of June, on a sunny day at Noon, a tracking system with say a 100watt panel would be no more efficient than a flat mounted 100 watt panel. In the morning and later in the afternoon the difference is quite dramatic.

On the Van Bitz exhibition unit and on my Son's RV we have fitted the Alden Phenix (sic) which is a 100 watt self tracking unit which is on average five times more efficient than a conventional flat panel. So they do work. They main reason for the combined unit is when space or payload is a major consideration

Eddie

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I have an Oyster 85cm and a solar panel. I couldn't justify the cost of the combined unit as the dish is only 65cm and the solar panel is 50w. Okay it tracks the sun so gives more than a flat solar panel. But a flat solar panel charges all the time - even when you're on the autoroute or parked up for a coffee.

In truth I suspect they're made for the German market for whom a 65cm dish is plenty but when you're trying for Astra 28.2E size does matter when you head South.

That said it was included in the van so you should be cock-a-hoop :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back