Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Have a Teleco automatic sat dish on the van.......however, it's blowin' a gale here in Brighton and don't want to risk putting it up.

I have tried to "autosearch" with the Avtex which has built-in Freeview, but don't seem picking up any channels. I've set it to search digital using the Status aerial but getting nothing at all:(
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas or advice on this......thanks in advance.

Bill

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi yes, red light showing on the control box, plugged in to the conventional tv aerial sockets in the van(y)

Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is it the correct polarity Bill....ie blade vertical or horizontal and needs fine directional aim....'same as others' may not be good enough.

Polarity is not as widespead as with anologue but some transmitters are different.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would try analogue tuning, I don't think the 530 is digital. EDIT it probably is.
CHECK THE SWITCH ON THE BOOSTER IS SET TO NORMAL rather than low.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would try analogue tuning, I don't think the 530 is digital. EDIT it probably is.
All aerials are good enough for digital Andy.
my signal commander (american) gets digi in the RV at home (only use satellite when away), not brilliant as our signal is vertical and the aerial is horizontal, also the tiny wire type set top aerial in our house bedroom works well.

no point trying to tune anologue....nobody transmits anologue signals today, its all digital.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think Bill and Margeret have given up, they're either reading, sleeping or gone to the pub.
they are shown off line.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
When we were off at the weekend at Glencoe which I tuned for digitol I got nothing but when I tuned for analogue & digital I found 4 analogue ( poor poor picture) but strange thing I also got 10 digital programmes that didn't get 1st time

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I think Bill and Margeret have given up, they're either reading, sleeping or gone to the pub.
they are shown off line.

Thanks very much to you all for your replies......no reading, haven't quite given up, but we've just had fish and chips:D

It's so frustrating when we've noticed vans with just a Status aerial and they're watching tv:doh: Will have another play around with it and report back to you all.
Thanks again.
Bill

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've forgotten how many times I've traced aerial problems to the actual plugs. Unscrew all plugs, at least 3, and check the wires are connected.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks very much to you all for your replies......no reading, haven't quite given up, but we've just had fish and chips:D

It's so frustrating when we've noticed vans with just a Status aerial and they're watching tv:doh: Will have another play around with it and report back to you all.
Thanks again.
Bill
As I said check the booster switch is on NORMAL not LOW

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I would try analogue tuning, I don't althink the 530 is digital. EDIT it probably is.

Yep, switch on the booster is set to normal, have tried analogue but nothing at all.
Will keep trying.....thanks again(y)

Bill

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I've forgotten how many times I've traced aerial problems to the actual plugs. Unscrew all plugs, at least 3, and check the wires are connected.

Thanks, will try this and get back to you.

Bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to have a 530 directional aerial on previous vans and never used them as they were a b*gger to get pointed in the right direction, when we bought our current van it already had a 'flying saucer' type on which we were always told would be useless ... far from it ... it is much, much better than the directional ones and has the benefit that we don't have to prat around with it!

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We used to have a 530 directional aerial on previous vans and never used them as they were a b*gger to get pointed in the right direction, when we bought our current van it already had a 'flying saucer' type on which we were always told would be useless ... far from it ... it is much, much better than the directional ones and has the benefit that we don't have to prat around with it!

We had an omni-directional one on a previous caravan......it was useless as well:D

Almost ready for throwing in the towel.....:( Would head off to the pub if there was a decent one within walking distance:LOL:

Bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When we were off at the weekend at Glencoe which I tuned for digitol I got nothing but when I tuned for analogue & digital I found 4 analogue ( poor poor picture) but strange thing I also got 10 digital programmes that didn't get 1st time
Yes, but up in the highlands they still point at aeroplanes and talk about the new fangled telephone :LOL:

i thought all tv was now digital.

As i though..

Analogue television in the United Kingdom
  • Watch this page
Analogue television in the United Kingdom includes terrestrial, satellite and cable services broadcasting using analogue television signals. As of 2013, Milton Keynes remains the only town in the country broadcasting in analogue, as the rest of the country have all switched off analogue signals and broadcast in digital only.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Papa john When I tune the TV tells you what you have found ie No of Analogue No of Digital and No of radio stations and Def said 4 Analogue and the picture was terrible but the point was when just tuned for Digital I found NONE when tuned for both I got 10 Digital as well as the so called non existing Analogue !!!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I had the same at Peterborough. BBC1 was intermittent on digital, switched to analogue and got a watchable picture. Just last December.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The last analogue transmitter in the UK and NI was turned off on Wednesday 24 October 2012....except mk

What you may be tuning to is a digital signal via a 'not so sensitive' or poor quality analogue tuner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Would you like to elaborate on that - "socketS". How many sockets ?

I think the aerial amplifier has two outputs.

Sorry, probably "socket" is not the correct word, the amplifier has two outlets. I have tried this but not getting anything at all......have checked all the connections and everything is as it should be.

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice.

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back