Using Internet when travelling through Scotland (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I have seen a lot of comments on the forums about using wifi etc when touring around but I don't have a clue of what is needed and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction for the following requirement.
I want to be able to use my laptop occasionally when touring around Scotland. It will only be for occasional use. What do I need.
Do I try and link it to my phone
Do I need an adaptor to fit to the laptop to receive signal
Could I use a tablet instead of laptop and if so would it have to have any special features.
Any help would be much appreciated

Reactions: Jim

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I am a tech 'numpty' but all I use is Mi-Fi. Mine is on contract with 3 as it is the only system I use even when at home. Really easy to use and for occasional use you could have a PAYG sim.
There has been a posting on hear recently about a MiFi unit available from Tescos for ÂŁ18 on the Vodaphone network with 2/4 g data allowance.

Somebody with the relevant knowledge will be along no doubt to supply the info you require, all I can say is that this simple system works fine for me on both the laptop and the tablet.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need to check if you phone contract/plan has an allowance for data. If it is a smartphone and you can, say, access BBC News when outside your home wifi, then you can assume it does have a data connection, but you may have to go into the settings and enable it.

Assuming you have a phone with a data connection and a reasonable monthly allowance, several hundred MB I would suggest then set the phone up as a mobile hotspot, which will be in the settings somewhere. It might be called tethering.

You then just log into your phone using your laptop's wifi, ensuring you know what the password is, which again will be in the phone settings.

I used O2 on a tour of part of Scotland last year and didn't have any problems but as anywhere there will be places where there is no signal, remote glens, close to the sea, campsites, those sort of places!

If you have an Android phone I strongly suggest you turn off automatic updating of Apps. This can be done in the Play Store settings. If you don't you might find you phone spending all your monthly data allowance updating itself. Just do updates when you have a wifi connection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
I have followed above advice and seem to be connected wirelessly from phone to laptop but get a notice saying no internet access.
Any suggestions on what to do next.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have followed above advice and seem to be connected wirelessly from phone to laptop but get a notice saying no internet access.
That would suggest you are out of range for 'data' :(

OP
OP

Deleted User
Could well be the problem. I am currently with Tesco (O2) and there isn't any 3G coverage in area at the moment.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Assuming you have an Android phone, select Wireless & Networks and look for then tap "More..." then tap on "Mobile networks" and ensure the box opposite "mobile data traffic" is checked.

This is how I do it on my phone, but yours may differ a bit but enabling mobile data traffic is essential.

I think you should still be able to enable and receive data traffic even without a 3G connection, but it will be slow at best.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for replies. I think it is now all sorted except I don't have data coverage. I will check later when I am in a data receiving area.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I found Scotland a nightmare to get an internet connection using wifi. Here in the midlands it is much better with 4 g even available in many places. It was so bad in Scotland, Shetland, Orkney and Outer Hebrides that I had Satellite Internet fitted when I got back as travelling alone and not being able to walk far, with no signal on either of the phones and no internet either in many (if not most) places was just too worrying.

I am with EE - phone on orange and another on tesco mobile

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
we use mifi dongle with a 3 sim payg, ÂŁ15 gives you 3G of usage and lasts us a month easily, we just get a top up token before we go on each trip,,,,,even works in france now too.....

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We tend to be at shows during the year, so have to pick up WiFi as and where we can.

We have a WiFi omnidirectional aerial which we have on a pole to get better range. It's output is to USB and we have had good results with it.

The snag is that like phone coverage, you have to be within range of a broadcasting modem to use it.

Broken Link Removed

Peter

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Since Scotland covers about a third of the area of the UK with less than 10% of the population it is often pot luck with 3G coverage because there aren't that many masts. Not too bad in the central belt but very patchy in rural areas. It also varies according to provider. I can have no service with 3 when Hilary is getting Ok signal with Virgin. When I was with O2 I had an Internet free week in the west highlands.

We travel with MiFi and an iBoost, more in hope than expectation.

Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That would suggest you are out of range for 'data' :(
Or you may not have enabled 'mobile data traffic' if its an android phone.
its a sub menu in 'mobile networks'......
this will use some of your phone plans data allowance.....or your credit if you are pay as you go.

To use free wifi simply click wifi on your laptop and select a wifi site from the list.....if it has a padlock symbol you need a password, which you done have so choose one without the symbol.

Apart from town areas i would think free wifi is going to be thin on the ground in Scotland so tethering to your phone may be more reliable....depending if you have a phone signal

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Assuming you have an Android phone, select Wireless & Networks and look for then tap "More..." then tap on "Mobile networks" and ensure the box opposite "mobile data traffic" is checked.

This is how I do it on my phone, but yours may differ a bit but enabling mobile data traffic is essential.

I think you should still be able to enable and receive data traffic even without a 3G connection, but it will be slow at best.
Beat me to it....i think all android phones use the same menu.

Doobray

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 22, 2014
Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
The easiest way to tether to an android phone is to download foxfi it also hides that you are tethering and so easy to use no set up required

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back