Auto trail tracker (1 Viewer)

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Two problems
I want to add another battery ;but two wont fit in the compartment the current battery is a small 85AH
Link Removed

i was thinking of putting a larger 110AH battery into the compartment and linking up to the small one,which i guess will need securing somehow, i am assuming that the spare black connector is for an addditional battery, are these special connectors?
or can i just link them together.

Can any one shed any light on this connector meter shows live 240v with hookup

Link Removed
What would this be used for?

Regards Roy

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if you connect a 110ah to an 85ah battery both will only charge to 85ah. i.e at the lower rate.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Two problems
I want to add another battery ;but two wont fit in the compartment the current battery is a small 85AH
Link Removed

i was thinking of putting a larger 110AH battery into the compartment and linking up to the small one,which i guess will need securing somehow, i am assuming that the spare black connector is for an addditional battery, are these special connectors?
or can i just link them together.

Can any one shed any light on this connector meter shows live 240v with hookup

Link Removed
What would this be used for?

Regards Roy
Hi Roy
Nope you don't use the plug for connecting batteries, Just link them together using cables of the same thickness as is used already
The only use I can think of for the plug in the garage (if thats where it is ) would be to charge an electric bike or Disabled scooter type thingy
Geo
Ps re upper post I would also suggest either two 85 or two 110 amp batteries are used

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Bevis on wheels

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
near Sheffield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years but travelled for years
Autotrail tracker

Hi Sinbad- we've just added another battery. On advice from the dealer's workshop manager we bought another battery ( within 20 wotsits of the original one as you don't want a big difference) and a connector. It took a while to puzzle out how to fit it. An electrician friend eventually found that part of the connector came off so you could fit the spades in. The compartment isn't very big is it? I don't know what the other plug is for either , neither did electrician friend! We're going to fit additional strapping to stop the batteries moving about.
Mind you, we found a 'spare' switch on the underside of the overhead locker with the charging unit in and couldn't work it what the heck it was for...till I noticed a row of small blue lights under the bathroom door......I don't know-' disco' toilet lights......presumably so you can go to the loo in the dark! :RollEyes:

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
if you connect a 110ah to an 85ah battery both will only charge to 85ah. i.e at the lower rate.

Thanks for your imput, it looks like the battery box was designed for a larger battery and at some time been changed to a smaller one.would have been nice if the box was designed bigger

Hi Roy
Nope you don't use the plug for connecting batteries, Just link them together using cables of the same thickness as is used already
The only use I can think of for the plug in the garage (if thats where it is ) would be to charge an electric bike or Disabled scooter type thingy
Geo
Ps re upper post I would also suggest either two 85 or two 110 amp batteries are used

thanks for you feedback the pictures are of a side locker so have no idea what it was used for maybe an inverter or something, probably go with the 2x85.

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi Sinbad- we've just added another battery. On advice from the dealer's workshop manager we bought another battery ( within 20 wotsits of the original one as you don't want a big difference) and a connector. It took a while to puzzle out how to fit it. An electrician friend eventually found that part of the connector came off so you could fit the spades in. The compartment isn't very big is it? I don't know what the other plug is for either , neither did electrician friend! We're going to fit additional strapping to stop the batteries moving about.
Mind you, we found a 'spare' switch on the underside of the overhead locker with the charging unit in and couldn't work it what the heck it was for...till I noticed a row of small blue lights under the bathroom door......I don't know-' disco' toilet lights......presumably so you can go to the loo in the dark! :RollEyes:

Sorry posted after yours
Never seen connectors like those will have a look ;but not happy connecting two batteries together with spade connections as for the 240v supply connector that looks like something out of a pc, if you have one it must be standard although the wireing diagram does not show it.

By the way only had it a week still finding switches and things , only just worked out how to select engine or leisure battery to charge.

Regards Roy

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You can connect two leisure batteries together with capacities that vary by up to 10% without ill effect, just connect neg to neg and pos to pos with thick cable (at least as thick as the existing battery cables). If the secondary battery is in a separate compartment and the cables pass through any metal bulkheads then fit a fuse in the positive cable near to each battery. The plug in your second picture looks like the type used for mains power by Autotrail so be careful with it when on EHU just in case.

D.

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
You can connect two leisure batteries together with capacities that vary by up to 10% without ill effect, just connect neg to neg and pos to pos with thick cable (at least as thick as the existing battery cables). If the secondary battery is in a separate compartment and the cables pass through any metal bulkheads then fit a fuse in the positive cable near to each battery. The plug in your second picture looks like the type used for mains power by Autotrail so be careful with it when on EHU just in case.

D.
thanks for your reply
so in theory i could get away with a 95AH battery, no problem connecting them changed lots of boat batteries, part of the specs for boat leisure battery connection cables were quite thick 3/8" dia oddly the cables in the van are quite small in comparison.

As for the unknown connector it is a female connector no markings to say it is 240v and no reference anywhere in the manual or on the wireing diagram to say what its for.Hate to think of anyone thinking it was 12v and connecting it up.

regards

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
The connector in the battery compartment is to connect a 2nd leisure battery. You need to buy the other half of the loom (it has a plug to fit the end you have and 2 battery connectors 1 pos, 1 neg) You can get them from Autotrail or Sargant Electrical.
If you turn your 85 amp battery round 90 degrees I am sure you will get 2 in side by side.

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
The connector in the battery compartment is to connect a 2nd leisure battery. You need to buy the other half of the loom (it has a plug to fit the end you have and 2 battery connectors 1 pos, 1 neg) You can get them from Autotrail or Sargant Electrical.
If you turn your 85 amp battery round 90 degrees I am sure you will get 2 in side by side.

Thanks for your imput, Doesn't look like there is enough room for two x 85 ;but looks can be deceiving , will check tommorow fingers crossed.

I figured the spare connector on top was for an additional battery and will probably use that if things fit.

I have not yet figured out what the 240v connector is used for?
Link Removed

Have sent an email to Auto-trail to see what if anything its used for

Regards Roy

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
You can connect two leisure batteries together with capacities that vary by up to 10% without ill effect, just connect neg to neg and pos to pos with thick cable (at least as thick as the existing battery cables). If the secondary battery is in a separate compartment and the cables pass through any metal bulkheads then fit a fuse in the positive cable near to each battery.

D.
Be careful if connecting 2 batteries on Autotrails in this manner. The cable which goes from the leisure battery to the Sargant controller may not be of sufficient rating to carry the amperage to charge 2 leisure batteries if almost flat. That is why there is a second wiring loom in place so each battery is connected independantly to the EHU fitted charger.

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Some times Autotrail put in wiring looms for additional 240v sockets. They normally terminate in that type of connector, but usually in a little black or grey box about a cigarette box size, screwed to the floor.

Dennis[/quote]

Does seem odd that the connector the way it is, it could be that the previous owner removed the box for some reason, there is a simular plug in the oppisite conpartment that feeds the truma 240v supply. Could be for left or right handed vans ?

Be careful if connecting 2 batteries on Autotrails in this manner. The cable which goes from the leisure battery to the Sargant controller may not be of sufficient rating to carry the amperage to charge 2 leisure batteries if almost flat. That is why there is a second wiring loom in place so each battery is connected independantly to the EHU fitted charger.

well spotted,you could be right the wires are to me a bit on the thin side, I guess you would need to connect them together if i went down the route suggested.

Regards Roy

OP
OP
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Well just got round to see if its possible to have two batteries in the battery box .No chance Battery box 15" x 71/2" could only fit two batteries if they are motorbike ones,

Seems daft to have a spare battery connector in a small battery box so this means securing a secondary battery outside of the battery box, with the looks of the spare battery connector Link Removed it can't be too far away as it doesn't look very long.

Not had a reply back from auto trail wait to see what they have to say.

Regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back