Replacing grill with microwave (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are considering replacing out grill with a microwave. I had a quote of £360 to remove, add a socket and install a microwave. Does this seem reasonable? It seems a lot to me when we would only use it now and again. Also does the microwave have to be a special built in type? We are not using the grill so wondered if the space would be better.

Tried finding a mobile fitter but none available or close enough. Will it invalidate my warrenty if done elswhere? Swindon caravans are near wondered if they could do it?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
That price sounds like they are fitting a 12v model.. very expensive.. Much cheaper to fit a 230v model and only run from mains.. EHU

If it is 12v then bear in mind it will draw about 60amps.. this would kill an 80ah leisure battery in no time at all..

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
We have one fitted, very seldom use it. Even thinking about removing it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Not got one, didn't have one when tugging. How much do you miss it now really?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Took ours out and fitted it in the garage use it 5 or 6 times a year max, if payload was a problem we'd bin it. We like to cook fresh food so use our oven all the time.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
That price sounds like they are fitting a 12v model.. very expensive.. Much cheaper to fit a 230v model and only run from mains.. EHU

If it is 12v then bear in mind it will draw about 60amps.. this would kill an 80ah leisure battery in no time at all..

Yes you maybe right never thought of that.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
If it had been £100 max then i would have said why not better than the grill. But we used very seldom and never had one camping etc. We much prefer to cook outside. Don't have an oven but have a tefel bake which is like the remoska. That works out well. May just leave it, but annoyed that the grill is taking up space for no good reason. Wish it was a comby grill and oven.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Labour is the biggest part probably, new microwave could be anywhere from £30 to over £100 depending on model and type. Remove grill and cap off gas supply, bring 230V supply into area and fit socket, mount microwave securely and ensure it has adequate ventilation could be anywhere from 2 hours to a full days work, £45 per hour or more doesn't take long to gobble up £360. The price does not reflect the use you will make of the equipment but the time and materials used in doing the job.

D.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
why bother replacing the grill, just add a microwave on the worktop and plug into an existing socket or inverter. Could be done fore around £50

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
You could take the grill out yourself, ensure the gas is switched off to the grill of course. Then get someone suitably qualified to cap off the gas supply, preferably at the manifold. We did this but left the now disconnected gas pipe in-situ in case of putting grill back in the future.

Then you could just stow the microwave in the space where the grill was, (making sure it can't slide out of course), then when you want to use the microwave, lift it out, put it on a worktop or table and plug into a 240v socket. That way you save the cost of a new 240v plug installation, which would be the expensive bit.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
At first glance I thought the title said "replacing girl with microwave".

That also could be an option sometimes:)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
At first glance I thought the title said "replacing girl with microwave".

That also could be an option sometimes:)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have both a grill and a microwave in my PVC and admit the micro gets used whenever we are on hook up. The grill has never been used and stores chopping boards etc. Personal choice I admit but I much prefer the micro to the low set grill.

Adam b

Free Member
Jul 3, 2013
South queensferry
Funster No
MH
Auto cruise carrera4
Exp
we removed our grill as it was never used , just use the space for storing pillows or whatever.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We use our Chausson grill as a bread cupboard :) Ideal to keep large light food items in & they are easily removed if ever want to use the grill - unlikely though as too slow:( When on hook up we have a £30 portable induction hob (Aldi/Lidl) plus the Tefal Roast 'N' Bake both of which are excellent & good enough to use at home too. When only 12v we use the gas hob which with a good choice of pans can cook most things including toast with a camping toast gizmo. Currently we do multiple shortish breaks as limited to school holidays & normally have our teenage son along with us so homemade chilli, spag bol, curry etc bagged & frozen in advance are easy to reheat on the hob plus some cooked chicken bits, cold meats & prepared salad in the fridge makes life easy & "fast" food. Have considered the microwave option or changing to a combi oven grill as had both when we had caravans but don't think that the useage would justify the outlay & now easy to work around once used to it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Removed the TV from above the fridge freezer and replaced with microwave (more entertaining most of the time) and use it a lot on inverter or hook up. No oven or grill as its German spec.

TV is at the front now.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We took out out grill (and capped off the gas of course) as it was a waste of space. There is a combi microwave grill in there now which works much better. But remember we are on EHU 99% of the time :)

It's not a special microwave just a cheap one from Lidl which was exactly the correct size for the space left where the grill was.

I've also seen the same model of van that we have with a Morphy Richards built in microwave fitted into the grill space which looked very nice. Ours isn't that fancy.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Removed the TV from above the fridge freezer and replaced with microwave (more entertaining most of the time) and use it a lot on inverter or hook up. No oven or grill as its German spec.

TV is at the front now.
That's exactly what the previous owners did in our MH Martin, but as we don't use a microwave oven (rarely on EHU), the TV and sliding shelf went back in. I've left the cable and scart links to the front though, in case we revert back to their set up. :)

Cheers,

Jock.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are considering replacing out grill with a microwave.

A grill is a tool to turn meat into a work of art. A means to make cheese on toast, the ultimate snack.

A microwave, well it just makes things hot.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We use our Chausson grill as a bread cupboard :) Ideal to keep large light food items in & they are easily removed if ever want to use the grill - unlikely though as too slow:( When on hook up we have a £30 portable induction hob (Aldi/Lidl) plus the Tefal Roast 'N' Bake both of which are excellent & good enough to use at home too. When only 12v we use the gas hob which with a good choice of pans can cook most things including toast with a camping toast gizmo. Currently we do multiple shortish breaks as limited to school holidays & normally have our teenage son along with us so homemade chilli, spag bol, curry etc bagged & frozen in advance are easy to reheat on the hob plus some cooked chicken bits, cold meats & prepared salad in the fridge makes life easy & "fast" food. Have considered the microwave option or changing to a combi oven grill as had both when we had caravans but don't think that the useage would justify the outlay & now easy to work around once used to it.
We are the same stuck to SHs and teenager on tow.

We have the tefal roast'n bake, really impressed with it. Good idea pre cooking and freezing dinners. Might give that ago :)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Halogen oven worked well for us on hook up, it saved the gas, stored it in the oven compartment, only problem was whilst in use nearly had a couple of aircraft trying to land on us:LOL:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Good idea pre cooking and freezing dinners.
We do too, ie, enough for the two of us into food bags, press flat and squeeze all the air out before sealing, then freeze flat on a baking tray. Flat packed like this at home, you can transfer several portions of Curry and Bolognese, etc, to your MH freezer.....................providing of course, you are not stacking it with loaves of frozen bread too. ;)

The SMEV grill in a German spec MH is absolutely useless for toast, so we (only me eats toast) use the little Gelart foldaway toaster over a gas ring too. (y)

HTH,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back