Sterling Power Battery Maintainer (1 Viewer)

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
Hi,
I have one of these fitted to my 2007 Autotrail Cheyenne 696. I have read through the blurb on the Road Pro website:

Link Removed

As far as I can see, when the leisure batteries are charges, the unit switches excess amps to the engine battery to keep it topped up.

My question is - Why have I got it? As far as I am aware my Sargent EC325 already does this.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks in anticipation.
Phil

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
From what I can make out your Sargent unit only charges whilst connected to the mains UNLESS you have a solar panel fitted in which case power from the built in solar regulator will charge both leisure and vehicle batteries, The Sterling unit will maintain your vehicle battery regardless as long as the leisure batteries are not flat. But also agree with pappajohn the Sterling is probably a lot more reliable, did you buy the van new if not may be someone had problems with the Sargent unit and opted to use the Sterling unit instead of repairing /replacing the Sargent unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The Sterling unit will maintain your vehicle battery regardless as long as the leisure batteries are not flat
It only starts to transfer charge when the leisure batteries reach 13.3 volts.
Very often extras are fitted with no knowledge of a vans existing electrics

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Phil J.

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
Thats what I wondered. however, also sat at the side of it is a Roadpro 1000w inverter and I thought that they might be something to do with each other.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Phil J.

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
No it is most likely fitted there as it is the most convenient position for the connections required by the maintainer.
It's either a DIY fit or a sub'd out dealer fit without checking what the Sargent does.

See this recent thread
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...ery-master-to-my-existing-sterling-b2b.98913/

EDIT sorry misread your post DOH!

Cheers Andy,
I've just watched the Youtube video and I'm clearer on it now. Re. our previous conversations I'm fitting the solar panel next week. Having the battery maintainer fitted means I can switch off the 12v on the control panel which stops the 0.3A drain and still charge the motive battery via the maintainer when the solar is charging. As you know when solar is connected to the EC325 it has to be switched on to maintain the motive battery at the same time as the leisure batteries when it's off only leisure batts are charged i.e. it won't discharge at 0.3A overnight.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp

Ah from the roadpro blurb I got the impression that it put a very small amount of current from the leisure battery into the vehicle battery as long as it wasn't flat as such.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
now made clear after a visit to the Sterling website

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes the only item that will transfer charge under any conditions is a battery master "Vanbitz"
Unfortunately the whole community now call every device a battery master WRONGLY! they are very different.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back