Trying to sort out a Europe trip from OZ.... (1 Viewer)

Aussietraveller

Free Member
Jan 11, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi my wife ,2 yr son and I are planning on doing a 6 month trip about April /May around Europe in a Motorhome (of course) it would be our 1st time, we would love to get some info on the best way round clockwise/anti-clockwise ,idea of cost we do want to wild camp if we can to save (not as big here in OZ but I here its the norm in Europe)we have budgeted about 10 k for our trip, any ideas of good books to buy or maybe app's, but any feed back would be welcome ,especially from people that have done it with young kids, also my wife is a Kiwi (I'm a scouser so have a uk passport) she can get a 6 month visa for the UK so I wouldn't think she would need one for the rest of Europe would she??
Thanks for your time ....I have about 10k for a van as well I have been looking on line here and it seems I could get something decent for that price??

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hello and welcome to FUN! Good place to get good and valuable info.

On the "wild camp" side , I might help, if you need to park next to Toulouse if this place happens to be on your way at some point of your travels.

I'm the warden of a stadium and can offer a free stopover for a few nights if you need any.

Just PM me (when you'll be properly registered that is....10£/year)if you want more details.

Happy and safe travels

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi
without a permanent UK address I think vehicle insurance will be your biggest headache.. start Googling

If you shop around and buy wisely, 10k will get a reasonable van .. and you shouldn't lose much reselling

Wildcamping in the UK is possible ... but not plentiful.. there are a lot of places that forbid overnight sleeping in vehicles.. there is a Forum that has a downloadable poi data base set.. (for a joining fee) Google it

By far the best countries for touring in a van are France and Germany.. thousands of camping car places for stopping overnight, filling and dumping.. some have EHU (electric hook-up) called Camping Car Aires in France and Stelplatz in Germany.. also in Italy, called Sostas .. many are free.. some a few Euro.. others almost as much as a camping site.. Plenty of wild camping in Portugal .. less so in Spain.

If you depart the UK I would head down the west coast of France .. then Spain , Portugal , going anti-clockwise.. back to France, perhaps Italy and back to the UK via Germany

If you have the time Morocco is also well worth a visit .. cheap fuel, cheap sites and plenty of wild camping .. great weather April/ May .. but too hot mid summer.. but that would curtail the time for the rest of Europe ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aussietraveller

Aussietraveller

Free Member
Jan 11, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
I do have family in Liverpool that I am planning on seeing I wonder can I use there address ?
And yes Scotjimland there is SO much to see and not enough time ( well for me anyway ) .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi Frankie that sounds great .
what do I need to registered for ? or who with ?
Hi there.
I think frankie means to be a paid up member of fun. This forum £10 for the year.
Welcome to the site btw.
I'm sure you'll get lots of advice. Maybe if you list the European countries you want to visit , within your 6 month time scale , you'd get a more detailed response from folk that could have done more or less what you want to do?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I would think registering your van at the family address and being from Liverpool you will know what is and is not safe.
hope you have a good time not only on the trip but orginising it as that's all part of the fun
bill

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Frankie that sounds great .
what do I need to registered for ? or who with ?

On the top tool bar , on the right side of "events" you have lines , click on them , you'll see a menu with subscribe on top of it. Follow the instructions!

Easy peasy! ;)(y)

Without subscription you can't post more than 5 posts and will not be able to have PM (I think) nor go into chatroom.
You'll be a "read only funster"

Frankie:)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
To reiterate what has already been said, France and Germany, also Scotland, Belgium, heading East looks fun...

I saved over £100 my first day on Fun so the tenner is worth every penny many time over however I don't want you to think we will only help if you pay. The site has a posting limit for non subscribers and once you reach that it sort of becomes a bit of a one way conversation.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Aussietraveller and welcome to fun your trip sounds great.
You can buy certain books that list stop overs in different countries for instance you can get All the Aires for france this has a comprehensive list of motorhome stopovers ranging from basic car park in village to stunning beach side locations.

In Germany you can get the Broadatlas (spelling might be wrong) this has the same as the French one for Germany
Also depending when your going if it's not high season then you can get an ACIS card these are for campsites with big discounts you could get a site for €10 a night
So a lot will depend when and where you plan on going

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Is the 10k budget pounds or $AU? If it is 10000 $AU, you may want to look at how many miles you are hoping to do over the 6 months, although a lot cheaper than it was (for the moment) fuel in Europe is still more expensive than you are probably used to.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Aussietraveller and welcome to fun your trip sounds great.
You can buy certain books that list stop overs in different countries for instance you can get All the Aires for france this has a comprehensive list of motorhome stopovers ranging from basic car park in village to stunning beach side locations.

In Germany you can get the Broadatlas (spelling might be wrong) this has the same as the French one for Germany
Also depending when your going if it's not high season then you can get an ACIS card these are for campsites with big discounts you could get a site for €10 a night
So a lot will depend when and where you plan on going

Otherwise try the Bordatlas and ACSI - Vicarious Books can supply you with all items like those previously mentioned for Europe.

Hope you manage to join Motorhome Funsters for a rally while you are in UK. You will be made very welcome.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is the 10k budget pounds or $AU? If it is 10000 $AU, you may want to look at how many miles you are hoping to do over the 6 months, although a lot cheaper than it was (for the moment) fuel in Europe is still more expensive than you are probably used to.
Agreed....if it is AUD.
Just had a quick look at current exchange rates and $1000 is around £550
AU fuel is far cheaper than Europe at around 80p ltr ($1.40 ltr) so the extra fuel cost must be taken into consideration.

£250 per week for a family of three isn't much when all costs are take into account.

OP
OP
Aussietraveller

Aussietraveller

Free Member
Jan 11, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im a newbie
The budget is in pounds. I heard that the price of fuel is really low at the moment. I was wanting to get a bike rack but was wondering how safe they would be, definitely wouldn't be leaving the bike's on the back on liverpool 

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN as your finding out this is the best motorhome forum on the net bar none, have a great trip, if it were me I would be in heaven with all the planning. Hope you manage it, it will be a time you will remember for the rest of your life. (y)

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello from Pamie & Nigel in Dorset, A Man with a plan enjoy every bit of it :clap:

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Welcome sounds like the 3 of you are going to have a ball.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
welcome.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun