LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, thinking of having my tyres done with this product Link Removed so I can take my spare out to increase my pay load. Anyone had it done and would you reccomend it? :Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have had it done on my dog trailer, but not the motorhome. Ultraseal has a good reputation for doing the job, but beware there are some copy-cat substances that I have heard can ruin a tyre as it is impossible to remove. (Ultraseal just washes out) As well as solidify somewhat and give you a bit of a wheel wobble.

Maybe those stories are spread by Ultraseal so you don't use a cheap alternative:Eeek:::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ken :thumb: good stuff on the off roading 4 x 4 but are you tempting fate in the van :ROFLMAO:In the last 10 yrs I have had 2 punctures,1 in work van 1 in m/h both cases shredded tyre.Stick with the spare :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think it would be folly to get rid of your spare.. as previously mentioned, a shredded tyre is not un common and if on the autoroute could be a lot of grief..
If payload is the main reason then I would look at getting rid of other less important stuff ..

Jim

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Tyre Seal

Hi, thinking of having my tyres done with this product Link Removed so I can take my spare out to increase my pay load. Anyone had it done and would you reccomend it? :Smile:
Hi, Had my last motorhome tyres sealed. Still had to carry spare in case a puncture damaged the side walls.
Brother in law does this in Spain, unbelievable results. In one case a builder with a 4x4 had new tyres fitted. The old tyres were sealed and a total of 17 nails had penetrated the tyres but no puncture was recorded. The inner tyre looked like a porcupine. I also found the tyres kept much cooler which helped with fuel consumption.
Wiljoy:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Gonna fly in the face of all I am afraid..
As far as I am concerned the crap should be banned world wide.
It was developed for tractors and slow moving vehicles,, Although it is sold to motorcyclists it is known to have caused accidents .. and severe accidents too.
Ok, I appreciate the issue the bikers suffer from ( a bike can out accelerate the bloody stuff ... In other words the wheel can turn faster than the goop does and that causes MASSIVE inbalances ) is not really likely to affect motorhome owners but here is a little something ( or two ) to consider

1) Every single mainstream tyre manufacturer has stated catagorically they will not cover any warranty claim if the tyre has Ultraseal or one of the other goops that are similar in them.
Avon went as far as to say they have had reports of delamination as a direct result of the stuff being used.

2) And this one is a cracker.. Most of the adverts say it has been tested up to 150mph ( or similar.. Now go take another look and see if you can see any of the results of the tests..
You won't.. reason being the poxy stuff failed every independant test ever performed..

And that last post above this says it all...
Just how much damage had been done to the carcass of that tyre ? Perhaps you folks think that 17 nails ( at least ) going through the cords is fine.
I know how I feel about it.
Perhaps the person has never had an explosive decompression caused by chatastrophic failure of the cords holding the tyre togther at about 70 MPH .. One day he may do and then he too will know why the stuff should be banned !

As I say, sorry to fly in the face and I do appreciate it is a very popular thing to have done.
But as a professional ( albeit in a field where the vehicles are errrr... well a tad quicker than our motorhomes, I have no ethical option but to lay it on the line.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As well as solidify somewhat and give you a bit of a wheel wobble.

yep! seen the results of the cheap stuff that goes hard after a while.....a tyre full of rubber marbles of different sizes.:whatthe:

The old tyres were sealed and a total of 17 nails had penetrated the tyres but no puncture was recorded.

A bloke was demonstrating this at the local sunday market for a number of weeks, and before you say it, no i wouldnt buy from a market trader, .
he had a bike wheel on an axle and a joiners bradle.
all day long he'd be stabbing the tyre with the spike, green goo oozing out the holes for a few seconds then stopping.
supposedly it sets on contact with air........er!!! whats the tyre inflated with....helium?

give him your tyre size and he'd give you a quote.....5 landrover tyres = £100:whatthe:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
much better off investing in a set of Tyron Bands.
if there good enough for the police and emergency services they must be ok.
wont stop a puncture but you can still drive on a flat, if you really have to, without loosing the tyre off the rim or damaging the rim itself.

Link Removed

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There is no reason why you cannot have Tyron and Ultraseal.

The good thing about Tyron is that you can drive to a safe place to change a tyre, rather than be dictated by the flat.

W

willi22

Deleted User
Gonna fly in the face of all I am afraid..
As far as I am concerned the crap should be banned world wide.
It was developed for tractors and slow moving vehicles,, Although it is sold to motorcyclists it is known to have caused accidents .. and severe accidents too.
Ok, I appreciate the issue the bikers suffer from ( a bike can out accelerate the bloody stuff ... In other words the wheel can turn faster than the goop does and that causes MASSIVE inbalances ) is not really likely to affect motorhome owners but here is a little something ( or two ) to consider

1) Every single mainstream tyre manufacturer has stated catagorically they will not cover any warranty claim if the tyre has Ultraseal or one of the other goops that are similar in them.
Avon went as far as to say they have had reports of delamination as a direct result of the stuff being used.

2) And this one is a cracker.. Most of the adverts say it has been tested up to 150mph ( or similar.. Now go take another look and see if you can see any of the results of the tests..
You won't.. reason being the poxy stuff failed every independant test ever performed..

And that last post above this says it all...
Just how much damage had been done to the carcass of that tyre ? Perhaps you folks think that 17 nails ( at least ) going through the cords is fine.
I know how I feel about it.
Perhaps the person has never had an explosive decompression caused by chatastrophic failure of the cords holding the tyre togther at about 70 MPH .. One day he may do and then he too will know why the stuff should be banned !

As I say, sorry to fly in the face and I do appreciate it is a very popular thing to have done.
But as a professional ( albeit in a field where the vehicles are errrr... well a tad quicker than our motorhomes, I have no ethical option but to lay it on the line.

to be honest it ****es me off when people come out with this emotive crap like "as far as i am concerned this stuff should be banned world wide". Yes tyre sealants were originally developed for slow moving vehicles and if you put that stuff in your tyre at high speeds it will cause problems, more than it solves and can be dangerous. But ultraseal along with others like ride-on tps (used in commercial fleets all over america, the largest commercial tyre dealer in the us offers it as an optional extra, pepsi, costco etc etc use it, motorcycle safety expert larry grodsky reccomended it) are quality products designed to be used in high speed vehicles.

1) every single mainstream tyre manufacturer has not stated catagorically they will not cover any warranty claim if the tyre has Ultraseal or one of the other goops that are similar in them.

taken from ride-on's website:

A
: Ride-On (TPS) is an inert tire sealant that does not attack or damage tires or wheels. Ride-On (TPS) contains anti-corrosive agents to help protect steel or aluminum wheels and tire belts from rust. Ride-On (TPS) has obtained letters from Bridgestone, Firestone, Continental, General Tire, Yokohama, Michelin, Goodyear, and Toyo Tires stating that the use of Ride-On (TPS) does not void their warranties, unless the damage to the tire or wheel has been caused by the sealant

2) i think your a cracker, if you take the time to look on the ultraseal website sure enough you'll find the test results.

I do agree that 17 nails penatrating the tread is more than likely going to cause structural damage to the tyre, thats why you check your tyres, don't tyre manufacturers advise you to check for damage regulary anyway. if you find 17 sealed holes change the dam tyre, infact change it before you find anywhere near 17 sealed holes.

was your chatastrophic tyre failure due to ultraseal?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Quite obviously you sell the stuff so are rolling out the company blurb..
I really do not wish to get into a row on here and as such would suggest that when we meet up ( bound to happen at one of the rallies sometime this year ), we draw a bevy and sit down to make our points to each other ( possibly with loud hailers just in case.. ::bigsmile: !)

One thing I would say though...
I have worked with Bridgestone ( one of the firms you reckon says it is ok ) and am still working with Avon. I have contacts in Dunlop and two other tyre manufacturing organisations..

Bridgestone have repeatedly and with considerable vigour told all their dealers that should a tyre be found to have Ultraseal or any other similar product in it they should not do any warranty work as the guarantee is invalid.
Avon has said the same
Yet you name Bridgestone as saying they agree with its use ????
Your company has already been taken to task over this issue by Bridgestone and I will be bringing it to the attention of Bryn Phillips ( Technical & Sales Executive ) at our next meeting. Methinks someone is not going to be best pleased that the same information is being given out several years after it was agreed it would stop !

Make of that what you will :Smile:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
tyre seal

for what it may or may not be worth to anyone, here is my own personal experience make of it what you wish .now the very boring bit,about 15 years ago i had a company call into my garage to try to sell me a tyre sealant (whole system,pump,goo,trolley,signage etc)so i could sell it to my customers etc ,i declined there offer as it was going to cost me about 2 grand ,and i was not convinced that it would work ,or if i could ever sell it anyway.sometime later i got an 8mm bolt (13mm spanner size)in my front tyre on my 7.5 ton recovery truck ,it was going down slowly, i had to put air in every other day.(i said it was boring).i contacted my local tyre mender ,twice.still he did not come and mend the puncture. i then decided it was time to test the dreaded tyre goo,i installed it ,then pulled the bolt out, span the wheel,after 3 revolutions of the wheel the leak stopped, i checked the tyre preasure every day for 2 weeks after that and it never lost any preasure at all (90psi) i personally ran that truck another 18 months on a daily bassis without any tyre problems.i was so impressed i bought the system and now put it all the vehicles i run myself . i changed one of the tyres on my vw t4 last week and the stuff was all over the inside off the tread and i could not see any sign off tyre damage . but then again i suppose that i am not clever enough to know if there is any damage that i cannot see with my own eyes, i am not saying do it or dont do it ,but i will continue to use the stuff untill i find a very convincing reason to stop using it ,hopefully the reason will not be serious,but in the last 15 years i have personally not had a problem(or a puncture in a treated tyre). hope if you have not fallen sleep or slashed your rists this may be of interest.the end .:thumb:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Interesting debate - seems to crop up on a regular basis.

Got me thinking when reading Charley Borman's book about the Paris Dakar that all the tyres are filled with 'mousse' to minimise punctures. Can't think of a tougher test than the Dakar - only 40% of starters finish (perhaps they have tire trouble :RollEyes:)

On Wiki:

The mousse is compressed as soon as the tire is inflated. Once the tire begins being used, it heats up and becomes primed for use.[1] In the event of an air leak, and subsequent loss of pressure, the mousse expands to fill the void, giving a pressure almost equal to that of a properly inflated tire.[2][3][1]
Mousse is used on cars and motorcycles in certain types of off-road racing such as the World Rally Championship, although it is banned following the 2007 season, and the Dakar Rally.[4][5]

Also found this:
Bib-Mousse is designed for off-road racing use with Michelin and BFGoodrich® tyres. Marked NHS (not for highway service), it should never be used on paved roads. Its use with other brands of tyres is also not advised.

:Smile:
Keith

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Mousse in off road compo bikes is brill and does an excellent job.. but as you say, different stuff..

You know, in your post Willi22, you mentioned larry grodsky

I KNEW that name rang a bell..
Just did a search and the poor sod got killed in 2002 when he was hit by a deer whilst riding..

If your gonna quote someone do at least try and make sure the quote is up to date and the 'quoter' is at least partially in this world !!

Bugsy

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since December 2008
Now for my two penny worth! I had Ultraseal injected into the tyres of 2 wedding cars, mainly because I didn't want to deal with the scenario of a flat tyre on the way to a wedding!

My elderly neighbour, whose wife was disabled, had his car done at the same time. He also did not want to have to deal with a puncture when his wife was onboard.

One of my cars and my neighbour's car always experienced slight vibration and eventually the jollop had to be removed. My Excalibur never seemed to react to the jollop but it could be because it weighs about 2 1/2 tons!!!:winky:

Toni

W

willi22

Deleted User
Quite obviously you sell the stuff so are rolling out the company blurb..
I really do not wish to get into a row on here and as such would suggest that when we meet up ( bound to happen at one of the rallies sometime this year ), we draw a bevy and sit down to make our points to each other ( possibly with loud hailers just in case.. ::bigsmile: !)

One thing I would say though...
I have worked with Bridgestone ( one of the firms you reckon says it is ok ) and am still working with Avon. I have contacts in Dunlop and two other tyre manufacturing organisations..

Bridgestone have repeatedly and with considerable vigour told all their dealers that should a tyre be found to have Ultraseal or any other similar product in it they should not do any warranty work as the guarantee is invalid.
Avon has said the same
Yet you name Bridgestone as saying they agree with its use ????
Your company has already been taken to task over this issue by Bridgestone and I will be bringing it to the attention of Bryn Phillips ( Technical & Sales Executive ) at our next meeting. Methinks someone is not going to be best pleased that the same information is being given out several years after it was agreed it would stop !

Make of that what you will :Smile:

Can i please make clear that i certainly don't own any of the companys i stated in the last post or for that matter have any business like relationship with them. I will contact bridgestone and the others to get a first hand awnser from them.

it was 2006 and what difference does it make if he's dead or alive, if he died because of a chatastrophic tyre failure due to a tyre sealant you would of had a point

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You really are not too good at reading are you..
1) I did not say I had a tyre failure .. you seem to think I did ?

2) I did not say you owned any of the companies ..

As to poor old Larry.. you quite obviously have NOTHING to do with bikes or you would know the answer without having to ask.. And I am not gonna raise a dead man or misquote him either..

If you wanna carry on with this I suggest we move off an open forum and use PM's as I am sure no one else wants to see the diatribe from either of us ..

Or perhaps I can call you and discuss it on the fone ???

W

willi22

Deleted User
enough of the bulla. Reading through ultraseals exhaustive Q and A's and explanations of how it works and perhaps more on what it doesn't do rather than what it does. It does sound like a lot effort has gone into producing a sealant for high speed vehicles, and i for one was quite impressed with it, i came across another product made by continental, conti-seal, which seems to be similar in that it is a gel like substance which is forced into the puncture wound by rotational forces. One of the main reasons a lot people appose tyre sealants is that if a nail penetrates the tyre how will you know, the nail then could cause damage to the cords which in turn could cause a chatastrophic tyre failure. Continental obviously don't agree or vw as it's been released with the new passat. Just found another made by goodyear, duraseal. If you are in the tyre industry, i would appreciate if you could give me some awnsers, genuinely i would be thankful.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I'm with Jaws, I think that the stuff is a con and should be banned, along with detectors for narcotic gas, chastity belts, and snake oil.

Doug

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And dont forget wigglorators ! They should def be banned !

re VW.. I stand to be corrected but have been told Conti actually developed a carcass with sealents specifically in mind.. Word is that the sealent used is their own take on it too.
Based on the same principle ( after all, there are only a finite amount of engineering solutions to any given question ) it has a different gas and uses a compound that is considerably lighter than normal.
Again, I stand to be corrected but have a feeling the goop will only be allowed to be replaced by main dealers due to very specific amounts being used to try to minimise the weird stiction effect that has caused the problems in the past.

I am unaware of the Goodyear program but would suspect that once again it has been developed in conjuction with the carcass's so they match chemically ( just a guess you understand )

This might sound strange coming from someone who is fairly vociferous about the stuff, but as I said to start with, given that campers and motor homes are not particularly high speed vehicles, if someone wanted to use it then go for it..
I doubt it will cause a big enough imballance to be a safety issue, and if you do suffer wobbles with it then you can ditch it, and if it does not cause greif, then bonus !

I would however suggest anyone with some sort of sealent in their tyres do make it their business to do a very thorough check all the way round the tyre and trye wall quite often.
Could just save a little unexpected field ploughing ! :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back