Hobby Motorhomes, your views please (1 Viewer)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
We have been aproached by Hobby to take up a dealership alongside our Swift Franchise.

Any one got any advice or views on Hobby vans?

Thanks

Peter

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Hi Peter,
We have a 05' Hobby 750 tag axle. We are highly delighted with it. The build quality is excellent.Very good payload and superb roadholding. We definately agree with the reputation that Hobby have of building quality motorhomes.:thumb:
It would be nice to see another dealer besides Lowdhams.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Peter

Choice is good.

You wouldn't be asking if you were at all uncertain of quality and pricing.

Swift is a "group" product, much similarity, same for Hobby so it must be easy for someone to say "Pity, but I could not live with Swift xxxxx" and rule out the whole range. "Yes Sir, I can appreciate that so come and look how Hobby do it".

Not a good name - Hobby = passtime, not implying a serious manufacturer.

But badges other than Fiat must be a_good_thing right now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
My only reaql concern with Hobby motorhomes is they have a tendency to not put gas drops in their 'vans. Had one (potential) customer wanting a BBQ point who would not accept that it needed a gas drop vent as he couldn't find one anywhere else on his 'van. I refused to install it without a gas drop so that was that.

Generally speaking build quality is above average but I think they are a bit like the ubiquitous VeeDub camper in that they're either loved or ignored.

D.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
We can only talk about Hobby Caravans as we had one from mid 80's to mid 90's - lived in it for 6 years as Wardens - absolutely super caravan. Well built, stable and way ahead of it's UK competition in its time. We looked with gooey eyes at the Hobby Motorhomes whilst we were in Germany but we simply could not afford them, even tax free - as we were entitled to!

Our only problem in the late 90's was that the gypsies had a reputation for pinching Hobby Caravans and we got stared at very hard every time we were on the road.

Have to admit we are not awfully keen on the modern colour styling - but we are getting old and staid now!:Sad:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Imported a 760FMs, tag axle. Superb quality and build.
54 reg, did have vented gas bottle locker.
Only one problem in two n half years and that was electric window packed up.
Reasonable price for servicing good return on fuel. Even towing a 15ft long trailer with Nissan Micra on.
My only gripe was they are by way of the shape claustaphobic, (I Thought).
Under different circumstances I would certainly have one again. :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
just ask the gypsies. they seem to like them and they are no mugs when it comes to quality:thumb:

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
As has been said already, Hobby caravans do have a reputation of being liked by Gypsies. Even more worrying, I saw a Hobby motorhome on one Gypsy camp recently.

ken

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
As has been said already, Hobby caravans do have a reputation of being liked by Gypsies. Even more worrying, I saw a Hobby motorhome on one Gypsy camp recently.

ken

:RollEyes: We recently saw a gypsy camp with a couple of RV's on! Does that mean that they should also worry :Doh:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
:RollEyes: We recently saw a gypsy camp with a couple of RV's on! Does that mean that they should also worry :Doh:

This seems to be happening more frequently. I saw one in a camp on waste land at the side of the Manchester ship canal on my way to work. Thought, hmmmmm, that's funny and like an idiot drove in to have a look (it was 6am and they were all asleep). Drove round it, strange red Belgian looking plates!? ........and when I got to work, phoned Travelworld to ask if they'd heard of one being nicked.
Turns out it was a CASH sale personal import by a Gypsie as a wedding present for his daughter! Couldn't get it plated here for some reason so put Belgian plates (I think) on it. T/World knew all about him and said stay well away, he's a really nasty piece of work!

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Why should we be surprised that Gypsies fiind an RV ideal for full-timing - we full-time and we find it ideal - what's the difference?

If you think about it logically - the gypsies have always led the field in upmarket caravans, fifth-wheelers and now RVs.

It was the Gypsies and Show-ground people who had the big shiny aluminium and cut-glass caravans packed full of Royal Doulton. Then they switched to Hobby caravans - not the little ones but whopping great big twin axle jobs - then they switched to 5'ers and now they have found RVs.

Well good on them - I may not envy their lifestyle - and I certainly don't envy the hassle that they get constantly - and I do pay my taxes etc whilst apparently they don't - but why shouldn't they have somewhere decent to live in - as long as they have paid for it in the normal fashion?

Anyway - this is all getting away from JCM's original post - should they take on the Hobby Concession!

In my view, yes, they should - if only to give normal Euro-motorhomers something for comparison.

Go for it J-C-M

Last edited:

ingram

Free Member
Aug 9, 2008
Funster No
..........and my lame attempt to try to keep this thread on the original topic is to say that I don't know diddly-squat about Hobbys except that those I have seen / looked at, always are very attractive externally. Those I have been in, as I recall, seemed rather dark, very nicely put together and finished but had typically German very poor kitchen work space. Not that many current British 'vans have anything much better except some Autocruises. Whoops! got off on one of my Hobby Horses again: ( how's that for on topic ) Rofl1:

I can't advise on whether or not you should take on a Hobby dealership: I am sure there are lots of factors that I know nothing about but if your company is really as good as you often say it is then I expect that potential Hobby customers will come flocking.:Smile:

Harvey

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Peter,yes go for it :thumb:The ones I have seen looked very nice indeed.In these times if you make money on them it cannot be a bad thing :thumb:
The only downside I can see is upsetting the other Peter :ROFLMAO: in that you will be selling the competition :ROFLMAO: You never know you may get a golden handcuffs deal out of it all :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I do not think for one min that apart from Swift supplying you with vans that they have much to do with your business :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: or maybe they do :ROFLMAO:
terry

G

Gubba Rust

Deleted User
Mein Hobby

We researched a lot before buying a Hobby Motorhome last year. After one season, we are very happy with our choice. Lots of gripes (I'm a perfectionist) but the overall build is excellent. Mainly we live very well in it, sleeping, cooking, showering, driving, shopping, stopping... everything works as you would wish it. For us it was the perfect balance of German build quality and sensitive interior design which makes you feel good just being in it. Hymer may be better built, but they feel like furniture vans. Italian and French makers feel and look good, but the finish (and so, I suspect, the rattles) are not up to scratch. We are British, living in Prague and we bought in Dresden, Germany. All very complicated, but the Hobby factory was extremely helpful and friendly in providing information in English, and the documentation we needed to re-register etc. I had the feeling of a very good company. If they products are ubiquitous, its because they are so good (and they last).

(I was distressed by the knee-jerk discussion of Gypsies, and its tone. As a tribe, "Motorhomers" display their own peculiar habits, and I would have expected us to be tolerant, even admiring of our close relatives!)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Peter

I think should take on Hobby .. .. never owned one but they were high on my list when I was looking at buying my last euro van.. I eventually bought a Karmann.
IMO they are stylish, well constructed with a good range of layouts and having the option of a Transit chassis will be a welcome alternative to the British offerings.

Jim

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Why should we be surprised that Gypsies fiind an RV ideal for full-timing - we full-time and we find it ideal - what's the difference?

If you think about it logically - the gypsies have always led the field in upmarket caravans, fifth-wheelers and now RVs.

It was the Gypsies and Show-ground people who had the big shiny aluminium and cut-glass caravans packed full of Royal Doulton. Then they switched to Hobby caravans - not the little ones but whopping great big twin axle jobs - then they switched to 5'ers and now they have found RVs.

Well good on them - I may not envy their lifestyle - and I certainly don't envy the hassle that they get constantly - and I do pay my taxes etc whilst apparently they don't - but why shouldn't they have somewhere decent to live in - as long as they have paid for it in the normal fashion?

Anyway - this is all getting away from JCM's original post - should they take on the Hobby Concession!

In my view, yes, they should - if only to give normal Euro-motorhomers something for comparison.

Go for it J-C-M
Totally agree! Thats exactly what we were trying to say.
As said in our first post.. "well built, quality motorhome" We own one so we talk from experience.
Go for it Peter!

Last edited:

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
We to have looked at Hobby and liked what we saw, however there does seem to be a lot of grey imports.
Dependent on the dealers view point this may be a good thing or bad, good for repairs and warranty work, bad for the sales.
If you stock German and English vans at least you have something to offer the majority of buyers.

So in short if it was me then I probably would take up the opportunity, pity its not Hymer, then I really do think you could give a well known dealer a run for the money.

What ever conculsion you arrive at, I wish you well.:thumb:

Roy

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We have been aproached by Hobby to take up a dealership alongside our Swift Franchise.

Thanks

Peter
Its a credit to you as a dealer and to Motor Home Fun, to think this forum and its members worthy to assist in making your decision
for what its worth Peter
any and all strings to ones bow can only be beneficial in this climate,
I like hobby as a manufacturer and would say a resounding YES:thumb:
Geo

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I reckon they are great and will be a real asset to you Peter.

R

Roccker

Deleted User
Hobby Motorhomes, good payload and superb roadholding

We definately agree with the reputation that Hobby have of building quality motorhomes.The build quality is excellent.Very good payload and superb roadholding.

carpediem

Free Member
Apr 29, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
31 years
My motorhomes 7 & 8 have both been a new Hobby. Numbers 1 to 6 were new assorted Autohomes,Autosleeper,Herald,Mobilvetta. Number 9 will be another new Hobby.
Why ? They have given me very little trouble and in the case with the current ELC, no trouble at all, still performing faultlessly as a five year old. As a dealer you might think this is not good for sales but what a recommendation for Hobby !
Have I been lucky ? Maybe, but for the last 8 years I have been very satisfied with my choice based upon value for money and reliability.
I am pleased that Hobby are looking to spread their dealerships around. It will only serve to increase their share of the market for well built, well designed, reliable motorhomes.
Within their range is something that comes pretty close to most motorhomer's personal choice of layout.
I hope you can negotiate keen prices that will attract new buyers and I will be looking very soon for that deal on number 9. Good Luck to all new Dealers who take on this marque.

blazezak

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Banff Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
:ROFLMAO: Have just bought a hobby toskana exclusive 750 flc ( 2009 ) after having a swift kontiki 669 , biggest mistake we ever made , there are so many faults to list even down to ... no place in the bathroom to hang a towel , waste water backing up the shower from a nearly empty waste tank , leisure battery ( rubbish ) for the size of van , dosn,t hold charge for more than 1/2 an hour unless plugged into mains , there are too many to list as I say , also the finnish of the biuld quality is very poor , for the same price ( £66,000 ) anyone would be better going for ANY of the swift range as we never had any problems with them ............. have a good look at them before you consider them for your dealership ( you dont want a bad name , do you ? ) .
PS THE PAINTWORK ????? on the out side , is not paint , but stick on transfers , hope this helps .

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
:ROFLMAO: Have just bought a hobby toskana exclusive 750 flc ( 2009 ) after having a swift kontiki 669 , biggest mistake we ever made , there are so many faults to list even down to ... no place in the bathroom to hang a towel , waste water backing up the shower from a nearly empty waste tank , leisure battery ( rubbish ) for the size of van , dosn,t hold charge for more than 1/2 an hour unless plugged into mains , there are too many to list as I say , also the finnish of the biuld quality is very poor , for the same price ( £66,000 ) anyone would be better going for ANY of the swift range as we never had any problems with them ............. have a good look at them before you consider them for your dealership ( you dont want a bad name , do you ? ) .
PS THE PAINTWORK ????? on the out side , is not paint , but stick on transfers , hope this helps .

I have to say that this is not my experience of Hobby.

Hobby vans, and I've been in quite a few, as well as currently owning one, are the equal, I believe of any middle to upper market sector motorhomes. Ther are a few 'premium' brands which may match their quality, but I have had no experience of them.

They are beautifully put together, are well specified, comfortable, and easy to maintain. They have a looks that sets them aside from other brands, and makes them instantly recogniseable.

I'd sooner spend my money on a Hobby, than just about any other van, that is until I can afford an N and B.

Blazeak - Sorry mate, it seems to me that the problems you describe are down to poor maintenance, rather than the fault of the vehicle.

Correct battery maintenance would probably cure your lack of power, or are you perhaps leaving something switched on?? In any case, it's not Hobby that's at fault if the battery is defective - have it replaced under warranty.

Grey water rising through the shower outlet could be solved by either plugging the outlet, or emptying grey water before using the vehicle on the road - would save fuel too.

No hanging hook?? Buy one and fix it yourself. Little items such as this are personal choice. Had Hobby fitted one, they would probably have customers complaining it was in the wrong place:winky:

Sorry you don't like your Hobby. You seem to be in the minority.

Last edited:

blazezak

Free Member
Apr 30, 2009
Banff Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Know what your saying ( doug ) cant be poor maintinance though , at least not on my behalf ( the van is brand new ) Batteries , been waiting almost 3 months on them coming from germany , plugged the shower ( works ) as I cant always empty when wild camping , more of the decals falling off now as did one of the stabiliser legs , I do agree , most of the build is good , but still plenty other problems I,m waiting for the dealer to sort out ( hopefully ), always happy to hear someone else,s opinion though , one last wee bit .... did meet a couple on motorway services with the same van they bought in germany ....... they are on their way back to have a list of jobs done too ,
cheers for your thoughts though .

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
too PC

We researched a lot before buying a Hobby Motorhome last year. After one season, we are very happy with our choice. Lots of gripes (I'm a perfectionist) but the overall build is excellent. Mainly we live very well in it, sleeping, cooking, showering, driving, shopping, stopping... everything works as you would wish it. For us it was the perfect balance of German build quality and sensitive interior design which makes you feel good just being in it. Hymer may be better built, but they feel like furniture vans. Italian and French makers feel and look good, but the finish (and so, I suspect, the rattles) are not up to scratch. We are British, living in Prague and we bought in Dresden, Germany. All very complicated, but the Hobby factory was extremely helpful and friendly in providing information in English, and the documentation we needed to re-register etc. I had the feeling of a very good company. If they products are ubiquitous, its because they are so good (and they last).

(I was distressed by the knee-jerk discussion of Gypsies, and its tone. As a tribe, "Motorhomers" display their own peculiar habits, and I would have expected us to be tolerant, even admiring of our close relatives!)

MMMM wonder if you would be so tolerant if your pride and joy got nicked by them? My mums caravan was stolen by them some years ago ... the police did not want to know,when they knew where it was (too scared of them and that was over 10yrs ago!) and said she wouldnt want it back anyway, after they had been in it !!! She worked double shift work to buy that van and paid tax! Lets hope you don't have to find out or Johns Cross for that matter, what it feels like! :Blush:

And! I wish people would stop referring to these people as Gypsies, they are not of Romany origin (Romania!) , if you must , then 'traveller',if you must be PC.

Last edited:

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
We have one - couple of years old ClassC on a ford Transit chassis. Overall pretty good but the fabled German engineering falls down in a few places.

Pretty good in severe winter conditions - now, but only after I spent a day pulling kitchen cupboards apart to get at the frozen pump suction hose that was stupidly routed between the skin and the uninsulated thin plastic wheel arch. Put in inboard where the other hoses are and expect no more problems.

Entry door bashes against the side window if it is open so can't be latched open and if the wind catches the door, the winow is likely to be damaged.

If the awning stays are clipped to the side of the MH, can't open the boot door unless the awning is fully extended

With EHU plugged in, if the gas locker door is caught in a wind gust, it bashes against the EHU inlet cover and breaks it.

Water fill point is below the top of the tank. Water must run uphill to enter the tank so need to be a bit clever to use a watering can to fill.

These are stupid design and build faults that someone needs their pants kicking for, but when considered in the overall scheme of things, don't detract too much from a nice product.
----------------------------

Elvis, exactly who is "them"?

Last edited:

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
read

We have one - couple of years old ClassC on a ford Transit chassis. Overall pretty good but the fabled German engineering falls down in a few places.

Pretty good in severe winter conditions - now, but only after I spent a day pulling kitchen cupboards apart to get at the frozen pump suction hose that was stupidly routed between the skin and the uninsulated thin plastic wheel arch. Put in inboard where the other hoses are and expect no more problems.

Entry door bashes against the side window if it is open so can't be latched open and if the wind catches the door, the winow is likely to be damaged.

If the awning stays are clipped to the side of the MH, can't open the boot door unless the awning is fully extended

With EHU plugged in, if the gas locker door is caught in a wind gust, it bashes against the EHU inlet cover and breaks it.

Water fill point is below the top of the tank. Water must run uphill to enter the tank so need to be a bit clever to use a watering can to fill.

These are stupid design and build faults that someone needs their pants kicking for, but when considered in the overall scheme of things, don't detract too much from a nice product.
----------------------------

Elvis, exactly who is "them"?

I think I made that quite clear! :Eeek:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
re hobby

it shouldnt be to much of a problem competition wise,as the hobby is a higher spec and aimed at a market where the potential customers are willing to spend more of their hard earned cash:thumb:go for it

Cavendish

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
England
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since September 2008
If you don't take the Hobby franchise, then you could consider Eura Mobil. We love ours but the dealer/support network in the UK is poor. There does seem to be a few on the road, so plenty of servicing/warranty/potential replacement business for returning customers.

OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Thanks for the replies but we decided to stick with what we know and took on AutoCruise instead some months ago.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back