Plastimake (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I think this is similar stuff but much cheaper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
At $38 ( about £20 ) Oz for 400g including shipping it is not expensive for what it is !
But the Amazon product at at £18.50 for 500g is a real bargain..
On the shopping list for when we get home.. Bloody useful bit of kit !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So just very low melting point plastic.

Can't be used for anything in sunlight then.

Can compliment your chocolate teapot.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It is pretty good stuff, I have had a jar of it for years, never made anthing though!:Eeek:

Peter

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a few bits I intend making out of it for my current project bike.. Stuff I was gonna machine from ally billet ..
Bits in question do not really need any high strength and will not be seen so it is perfect !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This stuff looks good as well.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008URBC9I/?tag=mhf04-21
and
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009LJG7XK/?tag=mhf04-21

I have had these in my wish list for over a year now. I keep meaning to buy some to have a play.
I bought a pack of that Sugru at Peterborough show last year and wouldn't bother again unless I had a definite use for it. I used one sachet to repair a crack in insulation on a cigarette lighter plug, which worked, and another to make the sun visor round the sat nav bigger, which didn't work.

Just looking at their web site now, though, it's given me an idea of how to repair something else. Expensive unless you have a definite use for it.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@GJH thanks for the feedback. Does it have a rubbery texture when set? Do you think it would be suitable to as the outer coating on a roller? The rubber on my panel vans door top bearing has fallen to pieces and gone. They don't offer just the bearing or rubber. You have to buy the whole arm at around £100. If I could recoat it with rubber/silicon it would last me till I can afford a new arm.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@GJH thanks for the feedback. Does it have a rubbery texture when set? Do you think it would be suitable to as the outer coating on a roller? The rubber on my panel vans door top bearing has fallen to pieces and gone. They don't offer just the bearing or rubber. You have to buy the whole arm at around £100. If I could recoat it with rubber/silicon it would last me till I can afford a new arm.
It is a bit rubbery but I don't know whether it would be robust enough to stand up to the wear of such usage. It would be worth asking the company first. Might be cheaper to look for second hand bits on eBay.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Bought a tub a few years ago to make new bearings for the roller on an old petrol cylinder lawn mower.. it was still running fine when I sold it

It's fun to use and sets like nylon..

Reactions: GJH

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have a few bits I intend making out of it for my current project bike.. Stuff I was gonna machine from ally billet ..
Bits in question do not really need any high strength and will not be seen so it is perfect !

Plastic Padding Chemical Metal, proper job and sets in minutes but flows so needs a mold.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Plastic Padding Chemical Metal, proper job and sets in minutes but flows so needs a mold.
Problem with that stuff is it is use once..
When I do some of the stuff I might try several shapes before deciding exctly what I want ( hence it being a pain in the bum doing them from ally

I could proly use this stuff to make the parts in a mock up mode sort of thing, and then either leave them as is or map them on the 3d reader and machine them out of ally on the mill ( tis a fairly automatic thing .. But can be a pain and sometimes I end up with a few 'nearly correct' bits that require tweaks to the co-ordinates.. )

Which has just reminded me ! I must give my man who runs that stuff for me a call.. Supposed to have done a pair of special bar risers for me before Krimble

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back