Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
barnstaple
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi people I'm a newbie with a vivaro van I'm converting and looking for my first driveby awning any help with what's suitable is appreciated Cheers

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
welcome.jpg

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, someone will be along shortly to advise you on drive away awning. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Mud Monkey, welcome to the Fun (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Welcome MM ... with a 'name' like that you should fit in well at some of the show rallies! :D

The Vivaro van is a lower height than most PVCs (ie those based on the Fiat Ducato etc), so that's one thing you need to check out when buying a drive-away awning as one that's too tall will have too much material which will 'flop' down and cause rain water to puddle on the roof.

It would useful to know why you need one as this would then give us a better idea of what size/type to recommend to you.

OP
OP
M

mud monkey

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
barnstaple
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Jim, Cheers Peter I'm looking for an awning to kick the kids into nothing special to start with Cheers rich

OP
OP
M

mud monkey

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
barnstaple
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi minx I've got a swb standard vivaro it's not big enough for kids inside as they are 10+7 so looking for a suitable awning say 3 meter sq ish Cheers

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are you looking for one suitable for the side or rear of the van? If the side it would need to be wide enough to allow the sliding door to open fully.

If you intend to leave your van on site and go out by other means then a large caravan porch awning might suit, on the other hand a drive-away would allow you to detach and go out for the day and then re-attach when you return, or indeed just leave it free-standing totally, but these are usually larger to store than the caravan porch awnings.

We've had lots of different types of awnings (more than most ... don't ask!) and have found that you can usually pick up some great bargains on Ebay, Gumtree or even in the local paper or at car boot sales. As you don't appear to have had one before this would be a good way of seeing if something suits you without spending a load of dosh in the process as you'd more than likely get your money back if you wanted to sell it to get something else. If you then find something that's suitable but want a new one, at least you'd know exactly what to get.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi minx I've got a swb standard vivaro it's not big enough for kids inside as they are 10+7 so looking for a suitable awning say 3 meter sq ish Cheers
Ah ... I assume you're looking for sleeping accommodation then, in which case it is important to get an awning which is suitable for this as a lot of them are not, you ideally need one with a purpose made ground sheet that attaches (or is already attached) to the awning to prevent draughts etc, however another option is to put a small pup tent up in it at night which can then be removed during the day and plonked outside thus allowing the awning to be used for other things - I'm thinking of one of the instant up type tents that 'spring' to shape.

I've just realised you're a read only funster so you'll need to join the club to keep posting if you need to ask any more questions as you'll run out of posting privileges otherwise!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back