LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ferry booked Hull-Zeebrugge return with 7 nights camping cheques and upgrade to outside 4 berth cabin out 7 Feb return 5 April (Easter) £324.90 with Caravan Club (pays for membership).

Insurance done with SAGA £369 including European breakdown, which is £100 worth.

Spain for a couple of Months, bring it on.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Nice one wish we could come but work in the way . Next year we are going part time 3days can not come quick inuff. Enjoy funflair.

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Nice one funflair. We did the hull to Zeebrugge overnight a couple of weeks ago, albeit in the car, but plan to take motorhome over quite soon. 4 berth Cabins not bad at all. Have a great trip. (y) (y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Nice one Martin, have you ever used the Club cabins, well worth the extra money IMO

They used to include a mini bar and contents for free, still got the fridge but only soft drinks, but you get kettle and coffee and TV and much more room

You can often upgrade as soon as you get on board if they have rooms free, best done before to be sure, once you do it once you will not go back (y) about £30 each way from memory :)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

I am from Yorkshire you know, deep pockets and short arms and all that, so the answer is NO not yet but dont encourage her, Jen does the bookings.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I am interested as to what made you go for Hull rather than dover for your crossing? Hull is a lot closer to me than dover ...........but the cost?

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Nice one Martin, have you ever used the Club cabins, well worth the extra money IMO

They used to include a mini bar and contents for free, still got the fridge but only soft drinks, but you get kettle and coffee and TV and much more room

You can often upgrade as soon as you get on board if they have rooms free, best done before to be sure, once you do it once you will not go back (y) about £30 each way from memory :)
We discovered this a couple of years ago and agree, the only way to go! Brilliant! But can we keep it a secret. (y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

We upgraded the last time we went on a mini cruise. Just before xmas. Hull to Brugge . We couldn't do it on the mini until we were onboard , and had to do it again for the return journey at reception once we had boarded.
But it was a lot more than £30, We think it was £60 each way .
You got a glass of bubbly each And some Belgian chocs from the alacarte restaurant too. You also get feather filled quilts , better pillows and "The White Company" dressing gowns, towels and toiletries . There's also a trouser press and a hairdryer too.
As there were four of us ( 2 of the kids) it was worth it , for the extra space.
We had their champers too. 2 of the kids had our regular 4 room we had originally booked , and the regular 2 room was Left empty.
Enjoy your trip.
We always come back from the mini cruise weekends shattered , and pogged because of all the food in the 4 seasons buffet. The breakfast and evening meal package is well worth the cash !
image.jpg

image.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am interested as to what made you go for Hull rather than dover for your crossing? Hull is a lot closer to me than dover ...........but the cost?

If we didn't have the dog we would go this way every time, specially if at the rate just paid by OP

Anybody living north of the M62 gains even more

By the time we pay the fuel to Folkestone and back the difference in price is virtually gone but for us most holidays are ruined by the drive home from Kent, busy roads, nowhere to park, expensive services, or overnight into Hull, leisurely breakfast, home inside an hour

Why wouldn't you? (y):)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Been using this crossing for a few years now, when we had the business I could work Saturday morning 6-12 and be on the ferry for 5 o'clock, glass of wine and meal booked for the evening.

If you work it out it's no more expensive than going to Dover and it saves a day of travelling at either end, £325 with 7 camping cheques so only £225 for the ferry, Dover ferry is £120 return according to my quick online search, extra miles to Dover return is 500 so £120 in fuel so would cost us £20 more to go to Dover and as I say it would waste a day at either end.

OK it adds a few miles the other side if going South.

In conclusion, no brainier.

Last edited:

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
very easy from huddersfield too,,,,, but what a boring crossing, nowt to do but drink or gamble & and the noise from the so called singer,,,made me cringe.& at their bar prices you need a small mortgage. much more exciting driving down to dover + i get the diesel free anyway.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
very easy from huddersfield too,,,,, but what a boring crossing, nowt to do but drink or gamble & and the noise from the so called singer,,,made me cringe.& at their bar prices you need a small mortgage. much more exciting driving down to dover + i get the diesel free anyway.

Ah free diesel, don't know if that would swing it, we enjoy a meal and bottle of wine a bit of entertainment and early night ready for a good drive the other side, don't enjoy the drive to Dover.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Ah free diesel, don't know if that would swing it, we enjoy a meal and bottle of wine a bit of entertainment and early night ready for a good drive the other side, don't enjoy the drive to Dover.

I know what you mean about the drive to dover, the wife hates it, has her eyes closed most of the time,
enjoy your trip.
looking forward to ours easter.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Been using this crossing for a few years now, when we had the business I could work Saturday morning 6-12 and be on the ferry for 5 o'clock, glass of wine and meal booked for the evening.

If you work it out it's no more expensive than going to Dover and it saves a day of travelling at either end, £325 with 7 camping cheques so only £225 for the ferry, Dover ferry is £120 return according to my quick online search, extra miles to Dover return is 500 so £120 in fuel so would cost us £20 more to go to Dover and as I say it would waste a day at either end.

OK it adds a few miles the other side if going South.

In conclusion, no brainier.

Thank you. I will look further at this, as I too hate the depressing trip to the tunnel/ferry at dover traffic and roads are always bad already booked the tunnel for june but will check out for next trip. Enjoy your trip

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you. I will look further at this, as I too hate the depressing trip to the tunnel/ferry at dover traffic and roads are always bad already booked the tunnel for june but will check out for next trip. Enjoy your trip
Forgive me but I simply cannot see the sense in driving UP the UK to Hull to get the ferry when you can go down to Dover or Folkestone! It would take you at least 90 mins to get to the Hull ferry port from where you are plus the bridge toll.

I appreciate that some people prefer this route but it is NOT as cheap an option as it may at first appear - it only becomes more so if you want the camping cheques anyway as these offset the cost however you have to join the CC to get them so you really should add that cost on too unless you would have joined them regardless. By the time you've added on the cost of getting to/from the port from where you are - lets face it Hull is NOT on a main motorway link - plus there's your meals, drinks etc (I bet NO ONE takes EVERYTHING they want to consume onto the ferry so they don't have to buy owt!), it is no longer a cheap option ... BUT if it what you want to do that's great, but IMV cheap it is not.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
In the summer its a lot more than that Martin.

When you only have 2 weeks in the summer though due to work you have to pay, or like you say, spend 2 days of the holiday getting to and from Dover.

Paul.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I must admit the too and from Dover really spoil the holiday. We did the Hull run many moons ago and had a great crossing but might not be so good in rough weather.
Because of the uncertainty of prices and troubles we have decided that Scotlandshire will be getting a visit from us this June. :)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
In the summer its a lot more than that Martin.

When you only have 2 weeks in the summer though due to work you have to pay, or like you say, spend 2 days of the holiday getting to and from Dover.

Paul.

Hi Paul

We have only started using this route in the winter since getting the motorhome, previously we used it in the summer and don't recall the prices being any different. Always booked through the CC though.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Well over £500 we have costed up in the summer Martin, that was for a 8.33m one, a tad shorter than yours. Also through CC.

Going back a couple of years too, maybe prices have come down?

Paul.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Forgive me but I simply cannot see the sense in driving UP the UK to Hull to get the ferry when you can go down to Dover or Folkestone! It would take you at least 90 mins to get to the Hull ferry port from where you are plus the bridge toll.

I appreciate that some people prefer this route but it is NOT as cheap an option as it may at first appear - it only becomes more so if you want the camping cheques anyway as these offset the cost however you have to join the CC to get them so you really should add that cost on too unless you would have joined them regardless. By the time you've added on the cost of getting to/from the port from where you are - lets face it Hull is NOT on a main motorway link - plus there's your meals, drinks etc (I bet NO ONE takes EVERYTHING they want to consume onto the ferry so they don't have to buy owt!), it is no longer a cheap option ... BUT if it what you want to do that's great, but IMV cheap it is not.

Got to agree it does not make as much sense driving North just to pick up the Hull ferry, seems right for us being further North to start with, already members of CC so that does not come into it for us and we would need to eat and sleep at Dover if we went that way. We use the camping cheques in Spain or in France later in the year so all works for us, but yes we are all different.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back