LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi, Has any one actually been stopped, fined and made to disconnect a towed car on an "A" frame in France?

LOL Please read the question again if they are thinking about starting a debate about the legality of "A" frames!

Of course their illegal:giggler: You only have to look at them, and the way that the vehicle is modified after all of that NCAP testing and hundreds of thousands of dollars, Yen and Euro being spent on designing and testing them: But, has anyone ever been fined in France?

We're off to Spain in the Summer and are going about 30 miles over the boarder so will happily disconnect and drive the last bit, but I am sure I read somewhere (this is the only place I tend to go lol) that someone had trouble in France from Plod

Thanks

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Eddie, there has been a recent post where this cropped up. Someone posted a communication from the french dept. of transport. This clarified the situation a bit but still clear as mud!. Post was started as "A Frames" (I think).
Cheers, Dave(y) Post was actually "Unibrake"

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
I did three weeks in France last year, towing with an a-frame. Saw loads of plod, and no problems at all.

2014-08-13 10.36.07.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I don't know.

I got gassed there once though

Edit - it wasn't actually me but a friend of mine
Must have the same friends, Chris - one of my mates got gassed as well.

Back to OP - I'm watching with interest on this to see if it really is a problem or not.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I have received an E-mail from Bill at towtal this week and he is going to put out a news letter on this very subject.
There web site is www.towtal.co.uk They are in Longton Stoke on Trent A good family run Motorhome repair business and they make A frames and adapt cars for them, its Bill or Phil.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I hope the RV driver is vigilant regarding low bridges otherwise Dobbin might end up on the menu at the nearest French restaurant!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
@neilydun
Hi Neil, see you've got a panda 100hp I've got one of those with an A frame too. Is that just the most fun car in the world? I love mine, sadly since my son passed his test I aint seen it and have a skoda...

Eddie, just go for it, when and IF you get stopped just start talking about Rugby, Im sure the plod will just go to sleep.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Eddie,

The following was lifted from elsewhere:

Officially they are illegal to use in France (as they are in Spain and Portugal too, amongst other mainland European countries), but the French police just about always turn a blind eye...it's a technical offence that they just don't seem to be hardly ever interested in.

Your chances of getting stopped, fined, and made to de-couple and continue as two separate vehicles is remote in France.
(be aware that it ain't remote any longer in Spain or Portugal though).

Just consider/plan for that possibility, unlikely as it is....are there two drivers in the MH so that one of you could drive each vehicle if necessary throughout the rest of your time in France, etc.

Hope it helps.

Mike

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
@neilydun
Hi Neil, see you've got a panda 100hp I've got one of those with an A frame too. Is that just the most fun car in the world? I love mine, sadly since my son passed his test I aint seen it and have a skoda...

Eddie, just go for it, when and IF you get stopped just start talking about Rugby, Im sure the plod will just go to sleep.

Yep great fun, when I prise the wife away from it !

adamsale

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
Ringwood
Funster No
MH
Low profile coach built
Exp
since 2006
Anyone had sight of the Towtal newsletter regarding A frames/France?

Thanks John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back