non French speaking solo traveller. (1 Viewer)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi although I have travelled quite a lot in Europe it was always with my late wife who could speak French so I never bothered to learn it other than the odd sentence. Now that I am now on my own and never travelled in my motorhome in france can anyone tell me if there are any major difficulties should I decide to visit France. Would be very grateful for advice.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
None that I have come across as long as you understand the various road signs. Neither my wife nor I speak or understand French, if there is a problem someone usually around to help or Yodeli to contact.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hellooooo..... Quelques leçons???? Learning can be easy.... Understanding is another job. But I can figure out the usual things you could have to understand. If you want to give it a try just give a shout!

Amicalement

Frankie;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Language or lack of won't be a problem I am sure. Would suggest an extra n/s mirror as some junctions and I am thinking of leaving m/way services and rest areas can be tricky without a passenger.
Many happy travels (y)

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hellooooo..... Quelques leçons???? Learning can be easy.... Understanding is another job. But I can figure out the usual things you could have to understand. If you want to give it a try just give a shout!

Amicalement

Frankie;)

Amicalement

Frankie;)

Thankyou yodelli I will remember you,but as to learning I am well into my dotage and the grey matter has no memory cells left to store anything new ,especially a new language...haha

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Tolls are a bit of a pain on your own, presuming you are RHD, I find it best to get out and pay and take tickets etc

A good phrase book is essential, but most important I find is trying to speak French, most will then help, in my case a couple of times asking if we can please speak in English :D

It will almost certainly not be as bad as you expect :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Shop in supermarkets and that will crack the vittling problem. Fuel is easy, either self-service or use sign language if the pump is attended. Learning the numbers up to 10 will help, or use fingers!

If checking in to a campsite there are only a few phrases you need, how many night and whether you want electricity. "un durgh new aveck electricity" while pointing at the MH with the multi-lingual finger will probably get you a couple of nights with sparks. The pronunciation will have professors of French falling on their plumes but it should suffice.

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
If you have access to the web, or a smartphone. Google Translate is a god send in countries you aren't comfortable with the language.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Tolls are a bit of a pain on your own, presuming you are RHD, I find it best to get out and pay and take tickets etc

Hi, I am traveling through France soon 0n my own - just signed up for a toll 'tag' - Sanef - no need to get out and pay

Tag arrived 2 days later

(y)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, I am traveling through France soon 0n my own - just signed up for a toll 'tag' - Sanef - no need to get out and pay

Tag arrived 2 days later
(y)

Just had a look at Sanef,I see vehicle has to be under 3mtrs. The actual vehicle is ok,but,Kathrein Sat tv takes it about 15 cms over. Would that cause problems ?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If checking in to a campsite there are only a few phrases you need, how many night and whether you want electricity. "un durgh new aveck electricity" while pointing at the MH with the multi-lingual finger will probably get you a couple of nights with sparks. The pronunciation will have professors of French falling on their plumes but it should suffice.

Well I'm no professor - but WTF is the 'un durgh new' bit? Surely you want 'un omplassmont aveck electrictay, poor un ooh duh newee' don't you? I know we do, but there again most of em speak English these days! And with better grammar than me, too!

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
No problermo,
Just shout very loud and say "why don't you learn English you frog eating b------s.
I find this gets through to them. I must admit though, my wine tasted a bit funny.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Well I'm no professor - but WTF is the 'un durgh new' bit? Surely you want 'un omplassmont aveck electrictay, poor un ooh duh newee' don't you? I know we do, but there again most of em speak English these days! And with better grammar than me, too!

Well I must admit that even if used to all the funny things English say in French , I haven't got the slightest idea of what that means ....:Eeek::Eeek:
Edit ..... Reading back your post Jenny ..... I think I should start the courses again .... pronunciation seems to be the eck!! You're imitating the English accent in such a way:LOL::p Skype courses may be?!!! LOL

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
If you have a smart phone why not download the Word Lens app. Someone recommended it on the forum a few days ago, sorry can't remember who now, and it's fantastic! It translates text from one language to another using your phone's camera, useful for signs and menus, amongst other things. It doesn't need Internet access once you've downloaded all the various options, all free. Good luck in your solo travels!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Wife sits in the back watching telly with the little one, so I am flying solo in the captains chair. I usually scoot over to the passenger seat and deal with the tolls/cards. I find the lanes are usually so narrow I can't open the door wide enough to exit.
On a slightly related note, has anyone else found that the ticket machines have slots at HGV height, and car height, both of which are in totally the wrong position for a motorhome?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I use the French forum Campingcar Rapido and I mainly post with the help of google translate. It is amazing how many sentences simply do not translate literally and can be quite amusing but my French friends love my attempts and contributions. On the odd occassion I cannot be bothered so I post an article in English but the management see it of value and quickly translate it for eveyones benefit.
My wife speaks more French than me but her pronunciation is top drawer and puts me to shame.

GOOGLE TRANSLATE HERE bookmark it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I use the French forum Campingcar Rapido and I mainly post with the help of google translate. It is amazing how many sentences simply do not translate literally and can be quite amusing but my French friends love my attempts and contributions. On the odd occassion I cannot be bothered so I post an article in English but the management see it of value and quickly translate it for eveyones benefit.
My wife speaks more French than me but her pronunciation is top drawer and puts me to shame.

GOOGLE TRANSLATE HERE bookmark it!

Thanks have saved Google translate it looks good.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have been going over the last 3 years on my own, after the first trip I bought the BBC Active French Talk & Talk 2 off of Amazon. Got enough off that to feel comfortable buying stuff in a market. (y)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Don't panic---I met loads of Brits who lived in France and barely knew a word of French.

The toll booths are a pain on your own but doable. Just slide across seats.
Shopping in supermarkets is easy of course but you'll find the markets are friendly. S'il vous plait and merci and a smile go a long way. Also J'apprend ( I'm learning) .
Campsites no problem---I think site staff are used to using a bit of sign language.

You'll be fine---after all how many of us would expect to speak Greek or Arabic if we went on a package holiday to Greece or Egypt?

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Shout... slowly... in English of course.

Any problems mention Agincourt and Waterloo.

JJ :cool:

Shout? Slowly? In English ...OF COURSE!?
You are in trouble Mister Magic JJ ... and if you're going on this way I know a French Froggy (you call Princess) who's going to take you out of her Christmas... errrrr I mean her Summer holidays people list to visit!

Cheeky monkey !!:rolleyes:

Reactions: JJ

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well indeed, this may explain why it doesn't work for me! It was an attempt to pronounce "pour deux nuit" but the words got mangled - as they do frequently!

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Just learn a few words. yes, oui. no, non. Thank you, merci. Good morning, bon soir, how are you, sava. And or course, cafe, biere, vin rouge/blanc. baguette croissant.
Thats all it takes.
The French are just fine.
Phil

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
All that you need to know is "Grande Bier".

John.

You must at least request a tres grande biere, because the French idea of a large beer is half a pint at best. The last time i tried the above I got a 1L glass, great but expensive. They don't understand that the natural measure for beer is a pint.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have always got by with very few words of any local language ( much to our shame ) and have now got ( I think ! ) 15 countries under our belts.. In fact it would probably detract from the fun if we could communicate without problem !

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Hi although I have travelled quite a lot in Europe it was always with my late wife who could speak French so I never bothered to learn it other than the odd sentence. Now that I am now on my own and never travelled in my motorhome in france can anyone tell me if there are any major difficulties should I decide to visit France. Would be very grateful for advice.

Well you should have no problem, the odd sentence will get you by. Most men really on the other half to do the speaking bit. We live in Spain my Spanish is poor to say the least, but I get by when wife is not with me. We have travelled France, Germany and Portugal and not a problem. Sorry to read about your wife, good luck for the future and just get out there and enjoy your MH.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back