Free Member
Dec 17, 2014
South Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Has anyone pitched in Slovinia or Croatia as I am thinking of driving over this July. Any experiences would be appreciated.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

I have done Slovenia & Croatia a couple of times, both very nice area's which I would like to do again. Both trips were in September and mainly down the west coast. To get to Dubrovnik I did use the ferry to miss out the road through Bosnia which is not normally not covered by vehicle insurance. I left Croatia on the ferry from Dubrovnik to Bari as I continued to Sicily and then Gozo. I believe 'Wild Camping' is illegal in both countries and I stopped on campsites in both countries.

I am not in the UK where all my info is but the following links from my bookmarks may be of some help.

Mike

http://www.camping.hr/camping-croatia/brochures

http://www.slovenia.info/en/Home.htm?home=0&lng=2

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We spent a few days in each last September, we thoroughly enjoyed both.
In Croatia we stayed a few days in Pula and Krk on good quality coastal campsites. Not cheap but with all facilities and a walk/cycle from the towns. We also had a couple of overnight stays. We didn't go too far to the south ( that wasn't the focus of the trip) but we were both impressed by the country. Plitvice was a must see despite the rain. Evidence of the recent (!) civil war was still obvious and sad.
Into Slovenia we stayed at the municipal campsite in Ljubjana which was right on the bus route for the delightful small city. Lake Bled was another stop-over right at the end of the season. I'm led to believe it can be very busy.
English was widely spoken, Croatia doesn't use the Euro but ATMs are widely available. Croatia was the only other country other than the UK where we've had to show passports at the border. a throwback to the communist days? In Slovenia a vignette was required for major roads.
This was an addition to the end of a longer tour to Italy, we'll go back and visit again for longer next time.

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi

I have done Slovenia & Croatia a couple of times, both very nice area's which I would like to do again. Both trips were in September and mainly down the west coast. To get to Dubrovnik I did use the ferry to miss out the road through Bosnia which is not normally not covered by vehicle insurance. I left Croatia on the ferry from Dubrovnik to Bari as I continued to Sicily and then Gozo. I believe 'Wild Camping' is illegal in both countries and I stopped on campsites in both countries.

I am not in the UK where all my info is but the following links from my bookmarks may be of some help.

Mike

http://www.camping.hr/camping-croatia/brochures

http://www.slovenia.info/en/Home.htm?home=0&lng=2

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/

We paid €30 for a week's insurance to drive in Bosnia at the border and had a great time - we found it friendlier and more interesting than Croatia. If you are in the area, I would thoroughly recommend going there.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We had a trip through Belgium, Germany , Austria, Slovenia, Crotia in 2001, stayed on a camp site at Moscenicka Draga, had all facilities, showers, toilets, washing machines, can't rememebr prices, 5 min walk to pebble beach, as already said no wild camping

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I have found the Excel spread sheets which show the Locations I stayed at and the costs, trouble is I cannot find a way of uploading them. I have converted the location tabs into a PDF which hopefully you can see below. If you want the spreadsheets just send me a PM with an e-mail address & I will send them.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• 2012 Sept Trip Locations.pdf
    150.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Sept 2011 trip Locations.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 20

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If you create a drop box account, you can store files in the cloud and choose which files / folders you want to share with others - including your excel spreadsheets and photos.

This link will take you to the sign up page. Download the software and it creates an area for you to store files in which automatically syncs with the cloud. I use it for home and work - I can save a file to the drop box folder at home and open it will appear in my drop box area at work. I can also access my files anywhere in the world as long as I can access the web.

If you use this link, (https://db.tt/tNwEd2cN) I will get a little more space in my account. You can of course, download the software from www.dropbox.com - which will take you to the same place without my referral code.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
mmm, I think I will stick to data on my PC & e-mail it when I need to thanks.
You choice. I don't store confidential stuff on it without strong passwords but (I may be wrong) I suspect that Dropbox is more secure than email (I've had my email hacked a few times) and it is very convenient being able to access my files where ever I am in the world, via the web.

Also I can share files without emailing them and I can share large files that can't be emailed.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
have been twice fairly recently on longish trips. once from Germany/Austria/Slovenia. Other time after a tour of Tuscany/Umbria (the best!) and ferry to Split. From there we toured back up Island hopping.

Second trip was more successful, as its nicer further south..Plitvicka lakes etc... Istria peninsula very busy in summer (when we always go due to wife's job in education) and water dirty and becomes worse as you head up to Italy..large campsites not really our style, but a hangover from days Tito. people still suffering a personality by pass, for similar reasons, years of hardship I guess. Personally we much prefer :love:Italy:love:, its food, and its people ......Croatia certainly worth a visit :)

Claude

Free Member
Oct 15, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach SE 745
Exp
On and off since 1987
We travelled to the Balkan States this past September/ October 14 for six weeks through France,Belgium,Luxembourg and Germany for longer stays in Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia,Hungary and Austria. I wrote a daily blog detailing places visited, sites with GPS given. If you wish to read it go to claudestravels.wordpress.com. We saw very few British travellers and none at all in Bosnia.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
The Peljesac peninsula is very beautiful and has the island of Korcula just opposite...there are several good campsites in the Viganj area...have a google.

We have only ever been there in May ...by July it will be getting busy..

http://www.peljesactravel.com/..

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Both acsi and camping cheque have sites in both countries and we found the standard to be good. Best to go in low season less busy and the weather more comfortable. Also lots of German campers go there for low season sunshine. When we went we got a green card for Bosnia from the caravan club.The toll road down the length of Croatia is better than our motorways and not that expensive.A must visit is lake Bled in Slovenia a lovely spot. and a good camp site right next to the lake.

Claude

Free Member
Oct 15, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach SE 745
Exp
On and off since 1987
It depends on your experience. I wouldn't go to Bosnia alone personally but Croatia and Slovenia should be ok. People friendly.

LOVEBUG1

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Chasson Welcome 70
Exp
since 2012
It depends on your experience. I wouldn't go to Bosnia alone personally but Croatia and Slovenia should be ok. People friendly.
Thank you .... Couples keep putting me off ... "Ooooh it's not safe on your own dear" ... In truth I have not been to far yet (alone) but I am a sensible lady ... Been round the world but do get a bit nervous about driving solo long distances ... hope there are like minded people out there who can give me advise

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Why not Bosnia on your own?

Claude

Free Member
Oct 15, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach SE 745
Exp
On and off since 1987
Still a lot of poverty and accosted constantly by beggars in our van in Sarajevo and North of there, banging on the doors etc. others will not have seen this. Any visit is just a snapshot in time when one is there.

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
There was a previous thread about Croatia which I did a series of posts of our trip in sept/Oct 2014.
Claude I do believe we did meet at Lake bled in all that mud. Sounds like you had fun in Bosnia. Am going back in May/June to Hungary to top part of Croatia and end up in Pula for late june

Claude

Free Member
Oct 15, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach SE 745
Exp
On and off since 1987
Have a good time. We are off to Spain and Portugal this year in sept/oct 2015

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks gozomike the pdf's downloaded fine
Thanks
Chris

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Lovebug 1

I am on my own and going to France in September, I would love to go to Greece as used to sailing over there. May be the next step!!

megsdad

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
auto cruise
Exp
1 month
This is all interesting to me as we fancy Austria to Bratislava.Been before but on coach.mAny tips ,info would help and be appreciated.

Apr 29, 2014
Funster No
Hi, we've been check out our blog snugglywuggly.wordpress.com (y)

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We paid €30 for a week's insurance to drive in Bosnia at the border and had a great time - we found it friendlier and more interesting than Croatia. If you are in the area, I would thoroughly recommend going there.

Caravan Club insurance underwritten by AXA will issue a Green Card for Bosnia. We went a couple of years ago and preferred it to Croatia or Montenegro. I would definitely go back to Bosnia (and Albania)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back