LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Broken Link Removed reminded me I've been meaning to post this.

I've had an iPod Classic for several years which is sometimes a bit short on battery life (and takes some recharging) for use in the van so I fancied a MP3 player with Bluetooth for use with a Bluetooth speaker.

I found that such devices are like hens' teeth these days and expensive & low capacity. Looking round last Friday it suddenly struck me that I could use my old mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy S3 in my case but any with an MP3 player should work).

I reset the phone to factory settings, removed the SIM card and as many Apps as possible then copied my music library to the phone - and it works fine (y)

So, if you want a MP3 player and have a redundant mobile, there you go for free :)

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
ha ha.. that's my 'NEW' phone.. oh to be rich .. :LOL:

Actually, I use it to play music through the Samsung TV Sound bar , which has bluetooth
A Samsung TV Sound bar? What it is to be rich :LOL: We don't have any sound bar :LOL:

I must admit, Jim, that buying a Galaxy S4 just so that I could take advantage of 4G was total indulgence (though I did sell some stuff on eBay to part fund it) :) One advantage of not buying each other Christmas and birthday presents is that we can buy stuff during the year if we want it :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
so you now have an Ipod classic going spare?
Almost. I have an iPod Classic which I can use with the built-in docking station on our home unit and a MP3 player (or iPod with Bluetooth adapter) which I can use in the van.

From time to time, though, I do monitor how much silly money people are willing to pay for an iPod Classic and I might sell it one day if silly becomes enough :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I would buy a 32gb micro SD card to store music on and add it to the phone with a PAYG sim so if you need to make a call when your main phone is not available, you can. 3 have sims that don't expire after 30 days and would allow you to buy 30 day bolt ons for "free" calls and data in lots of Europe.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
I am thinking what I will get when my current Ipod classic dies. It gets used every day whilst commuting to work (couple of miles walking and a train ride each way). Being lazy, I have all my music and audio books loaded onto it so have used well over 100Gb of storage. There are few options of personal music players with that capacity about. Maybe an old phone with a large SDHC card will suffice - thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would buy a 32gb micro SD card to store music on and add it to the phone with a PAYG sim so if you need to make a call when your main phone is not available, you can. 3 have sims that don't expire after 30 days and would allow you to buy 30 day bolt ons for "free" calls and data in lots of Europe.
I am thinking what I will get when my current Ipod classic dies. It gets used every day whilst commuting to work (couple of miles walking and a train ride each way). Being lazy, I have all my music and audio books loaded onto it so have used well over 100Gb of storage. There are few options of personal music players with that capacity about. Maybe an old phone with a large SDHC card will suffice - thanks for the tip.
One of the advantages of phones over stand-alone MP3 players and iPods (which seem to use a lot of the built in storage for the OS &c) is the ability to use Micro SD cards. I only used the main storage on the phone because the 8GB Micro SD card that was in it had other files on (though the almost 4000 tracks would have fitted on that card).

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I do monitor how much silly money people are willing to pay for an iPod Classic and I might sell it one day if silly becomes enough

Good to know.. . I have a Classic, 30gb, circa 2006 , battery still ok , but has a few horizontal black lines on the screen , had it plugged into the radio in the RV. not used much since.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Love my I pod classic. We own three in this household and it's nice to know they will be collectibles.......ridiculous as it is. Nice to know we got something right. We are the people who went for Betamax video recorders! Doh! :giggler:

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Good to know.. . I have a Classic, 30gb, circa 2006 , battery still ok , but has a few horizontal black lines on the screen , had it plugged into the radio in the RV. not used much since.
Check the eBay sold listings under Advanced Search Jim. Even "spares or repair" condition units go for more than I would have thought.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Check the eBay sold listings under Advanced Search Jim. Even "spares or repair" condition units go for more than I would have thought.
indeed..

just checked mineBroken Link Removed using Model number

it's not the classic.. it's the 5th Generation model

Broken Link Removed 80 MHz (x2) PP5021C
Broken Link Removed
Intro Date: October 12, 2005 Disc Date: September 12, 2006
Order No: MA002LL/A* Model No: A1136 (EMC 2065)
Subfamily: iPod with Video Model ID: None
Std RAM: 32 MB, 64 MB Std VRAM: None
Std Storage: 30 GB, 60 GB Std Optical: None
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One of the advantages of phones over stand-alone MP3 players and iPods (which seem to use a lot of the built in storage for the OS &c) is the ability to use Micro SD cards. I only used the main storage on the phone because the 8GB Micro SD card that was in it had other files on (though the almost 4000 tracks would have fitted on that card).
Correction, just under 2,000 tracks not just under 4,000.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why a separate phone for music? I have all mine / wife has all hers on the phones we use all the time. We BT them to the cab radio.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Why a separate phone for music? I have all mine / wife has all hers on the phones we use all the time. We BT them to the cab radio.
Same here. We charge them from the leisure babattery when stopped and the vehicle battery when driving. I also use a large battery backup device which I keep charged from the batteries as well .

Only thing I have in my list is to change the power for the stereo to the leisure battery.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Battery life, continuity of music (if phone owner leaves the mh, the music doesn't have to stop), it gives the spare phone in the mh a second function.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back