Air suspension to Boxer PVC (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Our 2012 Boxer panel van is on it's limit weight wise and the spring assisters on the rear suspension are fairly well compressed. The mechanic when testing it for the MOT incorrectly advised me that the " bump stops " were touching.
It is also slightly lower on one side so air suspension would enable me to level it up.
Has anyone bought and fitted air suspension on any similar Sevel built van and was it fairly simple to do.
I know that fitting air suspension will not increase the load capacity but that's not the intent.

Mike

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This article describes how the owners fitted a VB air suspension system to a Ducato - which I am sure could be fitted to your 'van as well. It's a "proper" air suspension system with compressor and can self-level. I've met the owners and they are very happy with the result. Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Straight forward enough job if you're reasonably handy at DIY. Spring U bolts will need removing and refitting and they can be pretty tight but other than that no major worries.

D.

OP
OP
Mikeco
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for all the replies, in Spain until the end of March so it's on the list to do when I get home.

Mike

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Our 2012 Boxer panel van is on it's limit weight wise

<snip>

I know that fitting air suspension will not increase the load capacity but that's not the intent.
Bear in mind that although it will improve the ride, it will make the weight limit problem worse. Any idea how much it adds to the overall weight?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Bear in mind that although it will improve the ride, it will make the weight limit problem worse. Any idea how much it adds to the overall weight?
From memory about 12 kg. I lifted the box of bits out of the wifes car boot with ease after she had collected it from delivery office.
However I gained 400kg payload from 3300 to 3700

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Contact Marcle leisure , excellent service and instructions , i fitted them to a transit , i did not need to remove the spring clamps it depends on your axle / spring system ,

From the postman delivering them to fitted and working less than 4 hours and that was on my back in the drive ,

* Tip run the air pipes in a length of hose pipe it makes the mounting / securing easier ,

SV Tech sorted the paper work out for the DVLA and provided the weight plates ,

i also put 116 side walled tyres on the van , as i increased mine from 3.5 to 4 ton ,

well worth the expense ,
increase in stability , easier to level van dont need the ramps as often now , i can raise the tow bar by 6 inches big help getting on / off ferries or campsites , also as the legal carrying weight is increased , i can put the scooter inside the van without fear of VOSA Checks ,

Road tax now £ 160 PHG was £225 .

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I also fitted the Dunlop air suspension supplied by Markle leisure to my last van Mk 7 Ford Transit based Auto Roller, it took me under 2 hours to fit. Good tip by Suggy I ran min through clear hose where it had to bend or rub against anything.

John.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
is your van 3300 or 3500. the reason I ask is panel vans should not really suffer same problems as CB's, as wheels are in each corner. what are you trying to achieve exactly if not a weight increase I'm not sure its worth the trouble. Was it a conversion on a new or used van as suspension may need looking at if worn. it should not be lower on one side...unless internally biased to one side, even then I have to wonder if its a suspension problem.

You are right re MOT station diagnosis...they are simply wrong, happens al te time. just take it elsewhere.

I have fitted air assist to a few vehicles (pickup trucks) it is an easy DIY providing you have decent tools and don't mind scraped knuckles....Full air like VB a different level of comfort and ride at a price!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back