Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
When we get home in April we're thinking of putting an oven in the MH. Any suggestions of types etc?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When we get home in April we're thinking of putting an oven in the MH. Any suggestions of types etc?
Hmmmm, after giving this some serious thought for quite some time I would recommend a gas one. ;)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Our Hymer has a factory fitted SMEV dont know the model sorry but it cooks really well. As we use the van all year we cook inside a lot and only use this or the Remoska. Grill is crap though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: kcy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ours has a SMEV CU311 combined oven and 4 burner hob but they do standalone ovens as well. This one looks like the oven part of ours and has a similar number so is probably the same: Broken Link Removed

We use our oven a lot and haven't found any problems with it. The grill is what I think is typical for small gas grills, it can cook unevenly if you don't keep moving the food around but if you put the grill pan on a lower shelf, not the top one, it cooks more evenly, although it takes longer of course.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Ours has a SMEV CU311 combined oven and 4 burner hob but they do standalone ovens as well. This one looks like the oven part of ours and has a similar number so is probably the same: Broken Link Removed

We use our oven a lot and haven't found any problems with it. The grill is what I think is typical for small gas grills, it can cook unevenly if you don't keep moving the food around but if you put the grill pan on a lower shelf, not the top one, it cooks more evenly, although it takes longer of course.

Thats the one we've got as well

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Our van came with an oven but milady has only used it once or twice.. We tend to BBQ and
lots of fish and chicken with salads.. I'm sure if we went away somewhere cold we would use the oven, but we head for the sun ALWAYS....:LOL:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We use OMNIA and DOUBLE SKILLET, the Omnia is best for baking (makes fantastic bread!) and the DS is good for 'shallow roasting' meat and vegetables.

We have spent over 365 days in our van and these two cooking gadgets have always managed to cook anything that we would use a 'normal' oven for.

I highly recommend both (especially the Omnia) (y) It needs to be said however that the people that supply the Double Skillet are notoriously unreliable and unhelpful but the product is good. The Omnia can be bought from many places, we used Ebay.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We fitted a SMEV oven/grill to our Hymer, we used it quite a lot apart from summer when we use the cadac

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
My van is too small to carry an oven, (not the van on the avatar by the way, that's a gorgeous Citroen and trailer that I saw at the aires at Lamotte-Beuvron) but when we moved to this house we had to use an oven from Lidl which cost about £30, was a fan oven with a grill and performed the function of a normal kitchen oven superbly for a few weeks. I've often thought it would be fine in an MH with the ability to store away in the garage or whatever when not needed. Otherwise, it's a lot of space to take up when not needed.

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
We use OMNIA and DOUBLE SKILLET, the Omnia is best for baking (makes fantastic bread!) and the DS is good for 'shallow roasting' meat and vegetables.

We have spent over 365 days in our van and these two cooking gadgets have always managed to cook anything that we would use a 'normal' oven for.

I highly recommend both (especially the Omnia) (y) It needs to be said however that the people that supply the Double Skillet are notoriously unreliable and unhelpful but the product is good. The Omnia can be bought from many places, we used Ebay.
Never heard of the omnia but I've used the skillet for three years now, brilliant, I'm of two minds over the oven

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012

Never heard of the omnia but I've used the skillet for three years now, brilliant, I'm of two minds over the oven

automedon

Free Member
Mar 22, 2013
Huddersfield West Yorks.
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter convers
Exp
3 yrs
Have you thought about using a Halogen Oven ? (cost approx. £30) we use our s in the MH while on tour then carry it into house and use it daily, costs half the cost of our inbuilt oven/grill to run, its faster and cooks superb. Easy to use either in the MH or outside on a small table as a BBQ. Amazon have them if required or Home Bargains,plus many other appliance shops, get one of the many Halogen Oven Cooking made easy available (ours cost £4. 99)it takes about 30mins. to learn how to use it. Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back