Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
When touring in USA I use Good Sams discount card and Trailer LIfe Campground CD which has 12000 sites listed and rated, the CD also has a route planner attached which along with a Rand MacNally atlas is all I use.

I've been looking for something similar for Europe and wondered if anyone was using ACSI card for discounts and the CD for site info and route planning. Reading the bumf on Vicarious books web site it would appear to be all you need for Europe with over 8000 sites listed and rated (1600 accept the discount card) and a route planner attached. Currently I use Alan Rogers book and a good atlas which serves us well.
Interested to hear views good or bad from anyone who is using or has used the ACSI system.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Be aware that to get the discount card you need to buy the ACSI book. It does not come with the DVD.

I bought both last year and to be honest could have managed without the disc.

I have never used the route planner relying instead on sat nav, so cannot say how good the routing is.

Hope this helps

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I've got the book and card, I haven't had a chance to use them yet but the book is full of great information.. I'm still waiting for the DVD to arrive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
As a caravanner found them great but with a RV need a little planning as some site have small pitches and restricted entrances.

Sure you can have a great trip on them with advanced planning.

Have you checked out camping cheques to?

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Acsi

I have used ther ACSI book over the past 4 years when touring out off season in France and Spain and found it invaluable Be advised tho that some sites don't open until March. If in France we use the Aire's for overnight stops. I usually get the books at the shows as Vicarious Books have a stall and you can see the various books and deciede on what to buy. I saw them yesterday at the Bath & West Showground which altho cold was a good day out for £5:Eeek:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I have used the ACSI card and book for the last 2 years, don't have the DVD though.
It's very useful but you will need other books and Satnav POI's.
ACSI don't have all the sites they inspect on their map, just the discounted one's. There are non listed on their map betweem Malaga and the Atlantic coast, but there are loads of sites in that area, hence the need for other forms of reference.
I have my TomTom with POI's for camping sites for Spain, France etc and I do find the Alan Rogers book also pretty useful.

The down side to ACSI is that they change the card on 1st. of Jan. which can be a problem for those of us who are anywhere but the UK at that time of year.:RollEyes:

Pete

PS geoff1947 have a good trip down to Almeria, the weather is improving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks Pete
It looks as if the 2009 CD has gps coordinates included.
I was interested in the card for the discount as much as anything.
Agree Alan Rogers is very good.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
CD

We used the CD (or is it a DVD) when we were bombing around Scandinavia and found it extremely useful, particularly in conjunction with the Danish and Swedish guides.

John

kevandmarg

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Colne, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
ACSI Card

We used the ACSI card & book when touring France with our tent last June. Discounts are good if you choose the right sites. We also had the C&CC Freedom vouchers as a backup, giving more choice of sites, which gives the same discount as ACSI but less sites.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Thanks Pete
It looks as if the 2009 CD has gps coordinates included.
I was interested in the card for the discount as much as anything.
Agree Alan Rogers is very good.

This year's book also has the gps co-ordinates, and very usefuli they are too.

Pete:Cool:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Site Information/Guides

Hi

Interesting?. At the moment I use "Autoroute" in tandem with CC Europe 1, the Camping Check book, and the FRENCH copy of "aires de camping cars", That plus watching this Forum for posts, is keeping me busy. Does the ASCI book show any sites close to Bilbao?. I need one for April returning from Mar Menor?.

In the US I used Streets and Trips, along with "Good Sam" and Woodalls? book (about the size of the BT telephone book!!!)

pete

Last edited:

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
Hi, I've just received this years book and map. As we are at Roquetas for a couple of months I ordered and paid for it over the net and they posted it to the campsite for me so we can use it when we leave here to visit Portugal in February. They do charge an extra couple of pounds to post abroad though.:thumb:

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi

We used the ACSI book and ACSI DVD for our trip to Spain this winter. The book paid for itself after using the discount card just once. The DVD is excellent, you can filter the campsites by country, eg. Sites open in winter, sites that accept dogs etc, it also includes route planning, prices and contact details for all the sites, with just a click of the mouse. I really recommend the DVD.

N&K :thumb:

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks N&K
According to the bumpf you can also filter sites on the new DVD by size and suitability for larger motorhomes which is handy for us driving an RV.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Rory, I thoroughly reccomend it for it's ease of use and ammount of sites. The discounts are normally like others, out of season. There is also a great bit of site filtering from anything you want on the DVD. We use the dvd inthe laptop to look at a load of sites in an area we intend to travel. On the way the plan may change but we are able to use the site map to adjust plans accordingly.

The only real negative I would say is this.
There is a lot of very clever photography that goes on with some of the sites. When you get there, they are nothing like seen in the photos. Always good if you have internet access to have a look at the web page.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks for that. That is exactly how I would use it think I'll go ahead and order it.:thumb:

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Thanks N&K
According to the bumpf you can also filter sites on the new DVD by size and suitability for larger motorhomes which is handy for us driving an RV.

Yes I did see something on that too, there are many options to filter on :thumb: I can check if you like before purchasing....I guess its ordered already? ::bigsmile:

ps. I agree with Haganap's comment about clever photography

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I haven't ordered yet so if anyone can check that would be great but I think that option is new for 2009:thumb:

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi

I just checked (this is the 2008 DVD ACSI version). There is an option to tick in the Regulations menu, called:

"Also Suitable for motorhomes > 7.5m and > 4 tons"
and
"Motorhomes allowed"

I imagine this will be definately present in the 2009 DVD,

Hope this helps

N&K :thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.