Hobby battery switch (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This may sound like a dumb question, but what does this switch on the side of the driver's seat on my 09 Transit based Hobby Motorhome do?

image.jpg

I appreciate it's a battery main switch but turning it makes no apparent difference. Engine starts and everything seems to work in either position.

At the back of the switch there are three black wires, two connected to one terminal and one to the other. If I disconnect the wires from the switch I can confirm that the switch does open and close and that all the black wires appear to have continuity with earth.

image.jpg

The reason for my curiosity is that we've suffered a severely dead battery this winter and following its replacement, I thought it would be a good idea to maybe use the switch when the van is laid up to minimise discharge but it doesn't seem to isolate anything that I can tell so far.

Is it mis-wired or have I misunderstood its function?

Tim

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oh, forgot.. The reason all wires appear to be connected even though off the switch is because you are getting a circuit through various things in the hab area :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
They usually isolate the hab battery(s)
Isolate the hab batteries from what? From all the 12v habitation circuits?

I suspect not in this case as the habitation battery is located on the other side of the van in the back and it's the engine battery under the drivers seat.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All I can say is that is how both the Hobby and the Miller were wired

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi tim , im intrigued, sounds really odd and have a feeling you are going to have to trace a few wires.
cant understand how they all have earth continuity , and connected to both sides of the switch.. don't seem to serve any purpose.
look forward to hearing what you find.
ta andy

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I have a Hobby Siesta 650 and although my switch is in a different position to yours as Jaws has said it isolates the Hab battery from the 12v habitation area.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
there should be some measurable resistance on the wires to one side of the switch. I took continuity to mean direct to earth.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Bugger. I've refitted the seat now but I guess I can poke around with my multimeter from the front. More tests tomorrow.

Tim

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi tim, would have thought if its an isolation switch it would be on the live side, but you say you have continuity to earth on all the wires, so not sure. think you need to trace the wires, or give papajohn or jonandshell a pm. think they are both electricians and may have a answer.
ta andy

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
If its on the return side did the person fitting the new battery fit a new earth strap straight to the body from the battery

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Are you sure that black wires mean it is on the -ve / earth side? I don't know whether this is common to all/most German-built vans, but Hymer use a wiring convention for 12V DC that is opposite to 230V AC. In mine, the battery connection cables are BLACK +ve, BROWN -ve. Blue is also used for +ve on some 12V DC cable runs to sockets, lights etc.
I may be at risk of misleading you but suggest you need to check cable colour / polarity with a multimeter if you have not already done so.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well, as far as I can make out, the switch does feck all. ;-) It might have some effect during charging but everything in the van works with the switch in either position.

I tried to measure the resistance between the terminals with the switch open today but my multimeter just swings full deflection showing no significant resistance. I'm puzzled.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
if im getting this right you seem to have an isolator switch that has no power to it and connected to earth (body of vehicle) on both sides . don't make sense to me and the only suggestion was as I said earlier just trace the wires to wherever they go..
on the plus side if you find it is not doing anything there is nothing to stop you rewiring it as a start batt isolator switch which is what you wanted in first place. (provided the switch is rated for that sort of current)
ta andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back