Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Well, we spent all day yesterday visiting showrooms at the ready to be persuaded to buy our motorhome.
First stop Lowdhams at Gunsthorpe, and saw nothing we liked. We did look at an Aviano, but as much as it looked nice on the outside, it didn't impress on the inside. No double floor either which I believe was an option.
Next stop David Fuller, to see the B660 Starline Hymer which we liked the look of. As soon as I opened the hab door, I could see all the plastics were extremely yellow. At first I thought it was a smokers van, but there was no sign of any smell so put it down to sun damage. The salesman came over, and whilst it was hissing down, he did have an umbrella. He was not very interested, and when I pointed out the faded and in some places cracked plastics, and enquired what his best price was, he came back after about 15 minutes and said he would knock £500 off! I laughed and he went on his way. What a salesman! Didn't even enquire about what we were looking for or offering any alternatives. We wont be going back.
We then went over to Newark and Brownhills. They had nothing and explained they wont go over 10 years old and even though we are looking at under this age, they had nothing to suit. Nice salesman though and we will keep checking in. Had a nice lunch in the Bistro.
Then onto SMC at Newark, to see an Adria Vision we had seen on Ebay. It turned out this was sold two months previously and was advertised without the consent of SMC even though it had their details on. They said this was a common problem. Nothing else of interest so we moved on.
Last stop Camper UK at Lincoln, and would you believe it, another Adria Vision advertised on Ebay that was sold three months ago! So it is indeed a common problem. They did have a couple of Rapido 9096/9097's that we liked but only the 9097 had four belted seats. We may get a good offer from the dealer this week as he couldn't get it within our budget. Good attention from the sales staff without being too over pushy or full of crap so may well go back and do a deal if they can meet where we need to be.
Still looking though.
I did see the prices RS at Doncaster had on their ebay listings and got a little excited for a bit, then realised "if it looks too good....."

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Interesting.....they are all the dealers we have been to. Have to say Lowdhams have always been very attentive to us. Good luck with your search. Hope you find THE one soon!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Often the case with Hymers etc, is they are good quality but have no comfort in them. many Beds bunks and tables, live outside. These Germans must be made of sterner stuff than me. :whistle:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Don't panic, keep looking.

Don't buy because you feel you have to - whilst the money is in your pocket you are in control.

Read up about the various dealers - people have different experiences of them ;).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Interesting.....they are all the dealers we have been to. Have to say Lowdhams have always been very attentive to us. Good luck with your search. Hope you find THE one soon!
Lowdhams were ok, just didn't have anything suitable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Don't panic, keep looking.

Don't buy because you feel you have to - whilst the money is in your pocket you are in control.

Read up about the various dealers - people have different experiences of them ;).

I hear you, but its so hard when you've been waiting for years to be in the position to buy one!! :)

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
When we were looking I was most impressed with Edgehill motorhomes near Mansfield. Found them very helpful. They did not have a van to suit us but we would suggest you give them a call.

When we were hunting for a motorhome we also were impressed with Edgehill. I would be happy to recommend a visit to them as well (y)

Not sure if you know about this resource Link Removed

Upvote 0

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
I would say becks were brilliant for us two would highly recommend them love family run business after sales first class as well

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It's a long way from you but google BCS Manchester, Paragon Ind Est, Canalside, Smithy Bridge, Littleborough, OL15 8QF.

We called when looking and all the MoHo's are undercover and very well presented, they may not have what you want but always worth a look or a phone call. I do know there stock changes rapidly.
Good luck.(y)

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@jaykay

Interesting to read your comments as these are our local dealers and we visited them all several times.

Agree about David Fuller - couldn't get on with them at all.

Is Oaktree too far for you? J26 M1? They have a big turnover so I would ring before you travel.

Out of all of them Edgehill were the most helpful but they usually go for LHD and >40k. But really lovely people.

The Adria Vision at Camper UK you mention is the one we bought from them. Very happy with the mh and them.

Good luck, keep looking.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you had a look at the one in Hull:

http://www.motorhomesltd.com/

Steve and his wife a very, very nice people (we've used their habitation/installation services in the past) and it might be an idea to given him as ring as I don't think all of this is stock is always on the web and he'll probably haggle with you too! (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you travel to Becks at Martham, worth stopping at Simpsons at GtYarmouth.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Have you had a look at the one in Hull:

http://www.motorhomesltd.com/

Steve and his wife a very, very nice people (we've used their habitation/installation services in the past) and it might be an idea to given him as ring as I don't think all of this is stock is always on the web and he'll probably haggle with you too! (y)

Not impressed with them, so not for me. I went there a while ago, and watched them doing a bodge paint job on an old motorhome to tart it up. I am from Hull as well and used to live near one of the owners.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
It will to far from you but we have always had a good reception at Highbridge in Somerset. Also west country motorhomes have nice attentive salesmen.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I know it is hard to be patient! However if you make a mistake it can be very costly.

We eventually bought one of the first motorhomes we saw (we saw it before it was officially for sale) but looked at perhaps 100 other vans before going back to it.

Almost made a costly error when we saw a new van within budget. It was after we walked away to see what money we would need to move and to check insurance we realised the layout would not work for us.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It will to far from you but we have always had a good reception at Highbridge in Somerset. Also west country motorhomes have nice attentive salesmen.
We actually bought our previous MH from them and travelled 250 miles each way to collect it. Well worth the trip too!

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Does it have to be a dealers, or have you looked privately?

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
whether private or dealer I wouldn't consider without at least a HPI check and damp survey...Buy in haste, repent at leisure

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You can also buy warranty to cover the habitation area as well as the base vehicle.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Have u considered an Arto

They really are much better quality than the either the adria or the aviano ( btw the elegance is quite a lot better)

Im not sure what your budget is but they have the older versions of the 69G at both Travelworld telford and Go european cannock for £25 ish. They really are very well made but you might have to consider changing the tables to accomodate 4 and of course it will be over 3500kgs in actual running condition.

Jon

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
It's a long way from you but google BCS Manchester, Paragon Ind Est, Canalside, Smithy Bridge, Littleborough, OL15 8QF.

We called when looking and all the MoHo's are undercover and very well presented, they may not have what you want but always worth a look or a phone call. I do know there stock changes rapidly.
Good luck.(y)

Broken Link Removed

Had a look in here just before Christmas, and they had some very nice moho's in stock. And I gather they have another storage site, so take a look.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back