Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
I am following a group of Funsters who are lucky enough to be in Spain and Portugal. One of them has just posted to their blog a little tail regarding his pair of leisure batteries, less than a year old now being totalled and failing to hold a charge. He has worked out that he believes that the cause of damaging the said batteries is as a result of being on EHU over some time that turns out to be on reverse polarity. I have ended being on reverse polarity a few times without issue, Can anybody confirm if using Reverse polarity over a long period would cause damage to batteries through the Sergeant on board charging unit

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Whats the age of his van?

Mine is only a couple of years old and the "intelligent" charger is meant to protect from that sort of thing.

It would not allow a "charge" to occur. I wonder if his is similar and his batteries have now totally discharged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Unless sargent have designed something no one else in the world has.
The AC side of a charger has not a care in the world about Line & Neutral as long as it gets both

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Andy, I have passed your comments on to the blog, many thanks

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
"fried" would indicate overcharging. The charge rate is not affected by polarity, it is more likely that the charger is faulty or it is overcharging due to a battery fault. People tend to never admit to flattening their batteries once or twice and there is the damage that causes charging problems

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No it wont cause any problems except safety related ones.

Hundreds of posts on the forum.

AC mains voltage......its in tHe name ALTERNATING CURRENT.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Not to sure re the term 'Fried' It appears that both batteries are now flat whilst being hooked up for four weeks on reverse. I have sent him the details of this posting so hope he comes and has a look and if he is a member he can explain more.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Not a chance of it being reverse polarity, I have used many sites across Spain without problem and at home here in Spain my MH is on EHU 247 365 and batteries are fine.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If the batteries are just a year old but the van is five years old, has he changed the battery type when buying new ones, but failed to have the charging regime of the Sergeant unit changed to match? E.g. a switch from gel to flooded lead-acid without adjusting the charger might cause problems. On reading about the Sergeant unit (I have no experience of them) it appears that one is advised to go to a dealer to get the unit re-profiled if switching battery types. It may be a simple job of moving a switch (as it is on a German Schaudt system) but the Sergeant website suggests otherwise. I'm sure someone with experience of the charger can advise if indeed, this is your friend's problem.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Not sure what is fitted to the van in question but one possibility:- I understand some solar panel controllers are duel voltage (12 & 24) and default to 24 volt. I have been told they need connecting to the battery to sense the voltage BEFORE they are connected to the panel otherwise they will default to 24 volt and overcharge the battery. Whilst this is technically possible I fail to see why anyone would make, let alone fit, such a unit as it would just need the battery disconnecting and re connecting to cause a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back