LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
XCSOURCE® Waterproof Mini Realtime GPS GSM GPRS 303-G Vehicle Car Auto Tracker Tracking Device System + Microphone + Relay + Remote Control // personal protection , individuals locate (children / elderly / Pet) , theft protection (car , boat) , vehicles locate vehicle tracking , SMS Car Auto Motorcycle Pet Tracker SUV Tracking , fleet management /// SOS mode//monitoring surveillance MA076

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I like the look of that, I may well order one. The concerns I have is that firstly, in our van, the bodywork is sufficiently thick that it blocks gps signals on smaller devices, if this device can't get a signal in the location where you hide it, it obviously will not work.
Secondly, it seems likely that one would install a PAYG sim card to handle the data transfer. What happens if the data limit is exceeded and there is no credit left?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I would have thought this was more suited to motorhome fitting?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Daniel

The kit you have linked to is a good one but can only be armed and disarmed via SMS which has a cost.
For a few quid more you can get the same 9ne with an additional remote key fob to arm it.

This is probable the better choice as you will have to always remember to send an SMS .

Neil

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No reason why they will not work as well as a rip off service one.

All you have to do is install so it will not be found easily.

Someone said a week ago, fit two, one for them to find and one for real, brilliant idea, you can buy the cheapest possible for the sacrificial one.

Problem abroad would communicating with the Police and maybe roaming issues.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What happens if the data limit is exceeded and there is no credit left?

We use GiffGaff PAYG with a linked CC that automatically tops up. With GiggGaff texts are free to other GG users ( in UK ) so ideal for this. My home tells me if it's not well this way.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is probable the better choice as you will have to always remember to send an SMS . Neil

SMS is good in that you can be sure the time it gets nicked you have forgotten to arm it. In fact why arm it until it is stolen ?

One caution, beware battery drain, always our problem with security gadgets.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why not leave it armed all the time if you keep your van at home? A geofence isn't needed unless your van is parked remotely. I think you'd notice if it left your drive.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From the amazon product descripton......

Support to work on www.gpstrackerxy.com, demo account is, demo, password, 8888. It has 7 days trial time, but after trial time, you will need pay £5 yearly fee for each device One year! Thanks

Why ?
Its a gps/sms system.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
unless its a particular device is required by the insurance company and qualifies you for discount etc, then I can see no advantage to signing up to a company. Brian is spot on , giffgaff is the perfect sim.

you can also activate a live feed to a fuel cut or sound an alarm off etc. This means that if you set the movement sensor and you later receive an SMS telling you that the vehicle has moved then you can text it back to cut of the fuel etc.

I did read that when geo fencing the vehicle you shouldn't make the perimeter really tight and should allow a radius of at least 50 metres to allow for GPS drift.

This can happen when one satellite goes out range and hands over to another one. for a split second it can show you vehicle up to 50 metres from its actual location. This split second is enough to trigger a false alarm and SMS.

hope this helps

Neil

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
From the amazon product descripton......

Support to work on www.gpstrackerxy.com, demo account is, demo, password, 8888. It has 7 days trial time, but after trial time, you will need pay £5 yearly fee for each device One year! Thanks

Why ?
Its a gps/sms system.
Their shouldn't need to be any third-party internet support (other than free Google maps) involved. Van stolen - SMS device - device responds with SMS co-ordinates - look them up on Google Maps/Earth. Plenty of free apps/software will accept continuous co-ord updates which enables live (ish) tracking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back