Free Member
Oct 29, 2013
cheltenham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
im a newbie
just returned from our first winter trip to Amsterdam but every morning lots of condensation on windows my question is, is there a trick to stop this happening

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
There are lots of threads about this. Look at silver screens etc.

Personally I put up with it and clean off with a shammie sponge in the morning. I use internal silver screens to keep warm and I know the external ones will stop the condensation but don't wwantto fit pack or store them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As above, an external screen will cut it significantly, but do ventilate the MH if possible during the day and especially when cooking.

You can crank the side windows open a fraction as well when asleep - but perhaps not near Amsterdam!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Open your top vents when cooking, as far as is necessary to stop your side windows steaming up.

If you're on an EHU you could run a small dehumidifier in the cab overnight.

The Aldi white crystal moisture collector bags do a good job but need replacing regularly.

If the MH is going to be out of use for a while I run the dehumidifier in different parts of the MH over a few days then leave a couple of moisture collector bags in it. The worst bit is the overcab bed compartment - no wonder they line the base with a sponge mat.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Double glazing on side windows, outside screen on the front and ventilation.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Yes, as with others Silver Screen for us. It completely eliminates the problem. A small amount of rafting about but well worth it IMHO :xThumb:

Chrissy+John

Free Member
Aug 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
American RV
Exp
1 YR
Yes i agree in opening top vents, ive tried all sorts of things, i believe that its something you cant get rid of fully.
I have 2 questions to my lovely campers..
My 1st question to you all is....(1) Our Rv is converted to use unleaded petrol and LPG. But havent aclue how to switch it over from unleaded-LPG. There has to be a switch on dash board, but as yet havent found it. On long journeys LPG would be quite handy, as its a lot cheaper.
(2) my boyfriend and i are thinking of retiring early and using the RV Motorhome to tour, follow the sun in europe. Has anyone done this? what are the pitfulls? can anyone give us any tips. Love to hear from you.
Happy New Year to you all :xgrin:xxxx

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
(y)
Yes i agree in opening top vents, ive tried all sorts of things, i believe that its something you cant get rid of fully.
My 1st question to you all is....(1) Our Rv is converted to use unleaded petrol and LPG. But havent aclue how to switch it over from unleaded-LPG. There has to be a switch on dash board, but as yet havent found it. On long journeys LPG would be quite handy, as its a lot cheaper.
(2) my boyfriend and i are thinking of retiring early and using the RV Motorhome to tour, follow the sun in europe. Has anyone done this? what are the pitfulls? can anyone give us any tips. Love to hear from you.

Don't take this the wrong way but if you start another thread with your question more likely to get a answer instead of hijacking a thread.(y)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
just returned from our first winter trip to Amsterdam but every morning lots of condensation on windows my question is, is there a trick to stop this happening
The wife and I really don't understand why these quite often posts regarding condensation come up, maybe were just fortunate, but to help us understand other posters concern's we can talk only talk about our experiences.
We park our Dethleffs alongside the house and hook up to our external mains supply, we place our little 700watt oil fired heater on setting 5 inside the van, we don't open any windows we don't put up our external Silver Screens, so I presume the only air that would be entering the van would I suppose be coming in via the fridge/freezer vents???? the van has/is parked in our drive throughout the cold winter..to date we have never experienced condensation within the van,
were hoping maybe someone can enlighten us that our procedure is not causing us an problem that were not aware of:xsurprised::xsurprised:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
But are you living in it \ using it?
If not, there will probably little moisture being introduced and the heater will keep the air inside above condensation point?

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
But are you living in it \ using it?
If not, there will probably little moisture being introduced and the heater will keep the air inside above condensation point?

We certainly are using the van...... came back mid October from a two month stay in Bennicasim (Spain).... Lake Garda fours weeks from early March this year,
Croatia, five weeks September-October last year... were beginning to think that its the heater doing its job:xgrin:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The wife and I really don't understand why these quite often posts regarding condensation come up, maybe were just fortunate, but to help us understand other posters concern's we can talk only talk about our experiences.
We park our Dethleffs alongside the house and hook up to our external mains supply, we place our little 700watt oil fired heater on setting 5 inside the van, we don't open any windows we don't put up our external Silver Screens, so I presume the only air that would be entering the van would I suppose be coming in via the fridge/freezer vents???? the van has/is parked in our drive throughout the cold winter..to date we have never experienced condensation within the van,
were hoping maybe someone can enlighten us that our procedure is not causing us an problem that were not aware of:xsurprised::xsurprised:
The warmer you get the inside of the van the more chance there is of condensation, warm air carries moisture suspended in it, when the moist warm air hits a cold surface it can not carry as much moisture so it drops it onto the cold surface, that might be somewhere you can see like the windscreen or cold spots around window frames or it might be somewhere you can't see it so easily.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We certainly are using the van...... came back mid October from a two month stay in Bennicasim (Spain).... Lake Garda fours weeks from early March this year,
Croatia, five weeks September-October last year... were beginning to think that its the heater doing its job:xgrin:
No, when it's parked alongside the house?

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Chrissy+John, two books I bought off Amazon.1)."How Katie Pulled Boris" & 2)."Europe In A Motorhome" I preferred the latter.Happy new year also.:xThumb:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
VENTILATION VENTILATION VENTILATION - Period.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies

External silver screens solve your windscreen problems, keep a little heat on thro the night and a bit of ventilation, I put one of my windows(one on the none windy side) on the first part open setting and that has done us fine. :xThumb:

It also helps if everybody stops breathing :whistle::whistle:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
so I presume the only air that would be entering the van would I suppose be coming in via the fridge/freezer vents????
There should not be any air entering the van from the vents at the back of the fridge. When on gas the fridge will give off Co2 which is a killer. The vents are to let heat out from the back of the fridge and fumes, there should be holes with grills over them underneath the fridge to let any raw gas that has leaked escape as it is heavier than air.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
There should not be any air entering the van from the vents at the back of the fridge. When on gas the fridge will give off Co2 which is a killer. The vents are to let heat out from the back of the fridge and fumes, there should be holes with grills over them underneath the fridge to let any raw gas that has leaked escape as it is heavier than air.

here we go again, CO2 is not a killer, CO is carbon monoxide which is a killer (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back