Valve stuck down on water heater (1 Viewer)

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Help we don't seem to be able to pull up the valve on our heating system to be able to fill with water. It is stuck down! Therefore daren't run the water throug as it will just dump it everywhere! Any ideas anybody?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Is this the 'dump' valve that automatically drops all the water if the temperature falls below 2 Centigrade? If so, what's the temp in the van??

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
The dump valve wont stay up until the temp is about 8 degrees I think, You may have to keep it up with a clothes peg or similar. Dont forget about it and I would keep the hot water on a low heat if liklyhood of freezing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Of course, if you have not got an auto valve ( or indeed even if you have ) the thing may have just frozen.. Could just try warming it up with a hair drier ?

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Just crank up the heating for a half hour or so and it should be fine
We used to have the problem on a regular basis in our other van

OP
OP
SOS

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Right all sorted now thanks. We warmed it with a hair dryer and eventually it pulled up. Now got the clothes peg in and hot water and heating now on. Thanks to everyone including Rex and Ladylea who turned up to help. At one point I was ready to book into the Thistle hotel lol!

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
Or in stead of hair dryer we use a small electric fan blower heater to get the van temperature up ( I only use the heater while in van just to be careful)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
OH NO, he's mentioned the "H" word.

Until your gross error here we have managed to instil sense by saying "use a towel" but now !!
What, 'Hotel', one of those places your too tight wadded to take your lovely and charming wife?? x:-)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Right all sorted now thanks. We warmed it with a hair dryer and eventually it pulled up. Now got the clothes peg in and hot water and heating now on. Thanks to everyone including Rex and Ladylea who turned up to help. At one point I was ready to book into the Thistle hotel lol!
I was under the impression that the idea of the dump valve was to protect things like the hot water tank from being damaged by the water inside freezing. Using a device like a peg long term preventing it doing its job in that case is probably not a good idea

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Once the heating/hot water is on the valve shouldn't drop. Indeed, I think I recall reading in a recent thread that the valve is electrically prevented from dropping when the hot water is on.

As regards the hair dryer, we proper ruffty tuffties use a hot air wallpaper stripper :xlaugh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back