LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Need an end fitted to EHU lead ( the end that fits into the mains )

Thought I could do it myself ( I can fit a plug) but now beginning to doubt myself. Searched Internet--no instructions, nothing on YouTube.

Where would I go to get someone to fit it for me? Garage? Electrical type shop?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
The blue "reyrolle" plugs (correctly known as BS4343) are simpler to fit than normal household plugs. Each terminal should be marked as pos, neg and earth. Just remember to leave a little loop of excess earth wire, so that if the cable is tugged on, the pos and neg get ripped out before the earth. You also want to make sure the entry for the main cable is the right size for your cable going in.

If you went to City Electrical Factors or similar and told them what you wanted, they would sell you the right part and probably open it up for you to show you where the wires go. Remember to take a sample of the cable with you if you are not buying it from them.

Found this on youtube, not the best presentation, but shows the inside of a socket (coupler).

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Now given up. Had the damned thing open earlier, I must have twisted it back together too hard and it's stuck.

Any idea if I look for electrical shop, electrician, ? Who would do this sort of stuff?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Now given up. Had the damned thing open earlier, I must have twisted it back together too hard and it's stuck.

Any idea if I look for electrical shop, electrician, ? Who would do this sort of stuff?
I don't think a shop would do it for you, or an electrician without charging you daft money - if you can't get the cover off how would then? Try warming the outer with a hairdrier to see if it will loosen it so you can get it off.

If you don't want to 'play' with the original any more why not simply create (or buy) a separate plug in section, with a 13amp plug on one end, a short piece of cable and a female hook-up socket on the other to stick your EHU lead into.

E - uk 3 pin plug and UK female connector.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you are gonna replace the plug, why worry about getting it open ? Just cut the cable up agin the plug .. simples :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

Nip round to my Brother Dave's in Torquay if your still stuck, pm me and I will give you his addy and ring him and tell him your coming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back